100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    This.

If someone (Sather) was willing to give Redden 6 million two years ago, someone likely would have paid 3.5-4 for Phillips. Here's why:

According to nhlnumbers.com, Phillips is the 59th highest paid defenseman in the league this year. Next year, he'll drop to 66th. If you're looking for comparables, look at Willie Mitchell. Mitchell makes 3.5 million, the same as Phillips. Mitchell is 33, Phillips will be 33 in a week or so. Phillips' offensive numbers are slightly better, and while Mitchell is more physical, Mitchell is far less durable (Phillips has been extremely durable, missing only one regular season game in the last five seasons).

Both are stay at home defencemen. So if you factor in durability and production, it would be easy to make the case that Phillips did take a home town discount, as distasteful as that is for some people.

Had Murray traded Phillips, or let him go as a free agent, Murray would still be looking for a veteran stay at home defenceman to mentor the three youngsters. It might as well be a guy who you know and trust, and who has Stanley Cup Playoff and Finals experience.
    Great answer 3Jack...

If Jeff Fingers got $3.5 M Phillips would have got ???
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Medalist cleek is on a distinguished road
    I think keeping Phillips to mentor the younger players was a decent move but as many have expressed I think Murray overpaid. This may be deemed somewhat unethical but why did the team not trade him now to a contender , pick up a draft pick and then re-sign him in the summer?
    Murray has made some very good moves of late, this one not so much.

I don't think you will see as many big & multi-year contracts for average players moving forward, too many GMs have been burned in the past couple of years. Should be interesting this summer because there aren't many sought after free agents available ( lots of older ones ). I think you will see more teams go with younger inexpensive players vs. paying bigger bucks for ageing vets, or the older guys will be taking deep pay cuts.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I heard an interesting take on the radio this afternoon that if Kuba doesn't pick up his game, he will probably be bought out. That's an interesting point that I had forgotten about.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    I heard an interesting take on the radio this afternoon that if Kuba doesn't pick up his game, he will probably be bought out. That's an interesting point that I had forgotten about.
    heard the same thing. also heard that Murray had a call about Kuba - like duh, just give him away. (I know its not that easy but I thought I would throw that out there)
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Kuba needs to go. Somewhere. Anywhere. The Sens need to make room for the plethora of young d-men we have.
    Runblad is tearing it up in the Swedish elite league, and Cowan is sure to get a good, long look at camp this fall as well.
    The nasty part is a buyout of Kuba is going to count about 1.2 million against the cap per year, for the next 2 years. And people think Phillips is over paid. Yeesh.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Thread Information