100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

Phillips Is Staying!

3 years @ 9.25 million.
    I'm glad he's staying, but at first blush, that seems like a very generous contract.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Can't say I understand this. Just because he doesn't WANT to leave doesn't mean you have to resign him. Let him finish out the year and then offer him what he's actually WORTH - about 2 mil - and if he really wants to stay, he'll sign. If not, he's welcome to go elsewhere. I just don't get spending another 3 mil on a guy who is clearly on a very rapid decline. Especially when you already have 8 mil a year tied up on useless d-men in Kuba and Gonchar.

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    question to ask is why is murray still the GM of this team? A new gm should have been brought in a few weeks back and have them set the new direction for the coming years.

3+ mil a season for phillips? this is one of those contracts that skews the whole league for years to come.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Question

Murray trades away the young guns who are stars so he can keep an old man that can no longer do his job.
    -27, 1 goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Insane!
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I thought they would have been offering around $2M. Kinda shocked to see $3+ per season and that he had to think that hard before committing.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    The goal Phillips got in his last game "sealed the deal".
    Murray has to go!!!!!!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    this was not what I wanted to wake up to Monday morning
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    So here's a guy whose NHL career +- is +83 including his -25 this season (and a -14 from a couple of years ago, 2008-2009, when the entire team was in the - again), which means that he was +108 before this season started playing against the other teams #1 line. And this year he loses his long term partner and really has no defense help from his other side, his goaltender or team as a whole. Karlsson is -31, Alfredsson is -19, Spezz is only -9 and Greening and David Hale are leading the team at +3 with Shannon, Condra, Benoit and O'Brian at +2, not good totals at all.

With Philips leadership in the room, his activity in the community, etc, he's one of the guys that you need in the room to help teach the next generation of players.

Was 3.1 a little high? Probably, however I bet there is no "no-trade" clause this time.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Was 3.1 a little high? Probably, however I bet there is no "no-trade" clause this time.
    From TSN.ca:
    The Ottawa Senators, who have been busy trading away players during their recent rebuilding phase, kept one of their own on Sunday.
    The club and defenceman Chris Phillips have agreed to a three year deal worth approximately $9.25 million.
    The 32-year old defenceman has been one of the hottest names heading towards the trade deadline but will now remain in the Nation's Capital.
    The stay at home defenceman has struggled this season with 5 points and a minus-25 rating.
    The deal includes a no movement clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    From TSN.ca:
    The Ottawa Senators, who have been busy trading away players during their recent rebuilding phase, kept one of their own on Sunday.
    The club and defenceman Chris Phillips have agreed to a three year deal worth approximately $9.25 million.
    The 32-year old defenceman has been one of the hottest names heading towards the trade deadline but will now remain in the Nation's Capital.
    The stay at home defenceman has struggled this season with 5 points and a minus-25 rating.
    that deal wouldn't have gotten done without a NMC. I still think its too much $ for him. I also question a guy who is 33 (in 9 days) who would rather be part of a rebuild than go play for a contender and try to win the cup.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    With Philips leadership in the room, his activity in the community, etc, he's one of the guys that you need in the room to help teach the next generation of players.

There is a no movement clause, not quite the same, but still...

I'm glad Phillips is staying, but like everyone else I think contract should have been in the 2.5 million range.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    that deal wouldn't have gotten done without a NMC. I still think its too much $ for him. I also question a guy who is 33 (in 9 days) who would rather be part of a rebuild than go play for a contender and try to win the cup.
    So we rip guys who want out when the going gets a bit tough (Heatley), and we rip guys when they want to stay to be part of the solution (Phillips)? Is that how this works?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

I also question a guy who is 33 (in 9 days) who would rather be part of a rebuild than go play for a contender and try to win the cup.
    Agreed. I guess time will tell, but right now it feels like Ottawa is convenient, easy. He's comfortable. IMO a player with more drive would have looked to play for a contender considering the rebuild + his age.

So we rip guys who want out when the going gets a bit tough (Heatley), and we rip guys when they want to stay to be part of the solution (Phillips)? Is that how this works?
    Heatley isn't really a fair comparison. Regardless of how the media got a hold of his desire to move, they did and that soured it for the fans because it limited our return on him. Then he refused to go to Edmonton. Never mind that he was signed to a long high $$ contract not too long before it all went down.

Heatley was more of a betrayal after all of those things, rather than a simple desire to move.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Apparently it is.

This is the 2nd time Phillips has taken a 'hometown discount' and he gets slammed for it.

Like him or not, let's face it, there's a reason so many GM's were interested in Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    Apparently it is.

This is the 2nd time Phillips has taken a 'hometown discount' and he gets slammed for it.

Like him or not, let's face it, there's a reason so many GM's were interested in Phillips.
    I am all for loyalty, but this is about winning. Sure he's great in the community, been here for a long time, well liked, etc. but the fact is he is too comfortable and in a competitive environment this is not good. If Ottawa was closer to being a contender I would have applauded this move but I don't see it as the right fit for the team at this point in his career, who is -25 and has been awful this year or where the team is headed in the next 2-3 years.

Garry Galley as said that if you have a chance to put yourself in a position to win the cup, you HAVE to take it, otherwise you will regret your decision after your career is done.

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    Apparently it is.

don't make the imstake that because he signed ion ottawa it is a "hometown discount" This was no hometown discount, 3.1 mil for him? no team out there was going to offer that, maybe GMs were interestd in acquiring as a rental for the rest of this year, but only in that situation.. I am at a loss to try to even comprenhend this signing at this price specially with the added NMC, but these are the types of deals murray (and maybe it is melynk, who knows) has made over the last few years and this is why they are a basement team. Murray should have been gone a long time ago, at the very least in time now for a rebuild, but he is not and it will show for years to come.

I am all for loyalty, but this is about winning. Sure he's great in the community, been here for a long time, well liked, etc. but the fact is he is too comfortable and in a competitive environment this is not good. If Ottawa was closer to being a contender I would have applauded this move but I don't see it as the right fit for the team at this point in his career, who is -25 and has been awful this year or where the team is headed in the next 2-3 years.

Garry Galley as said that if you have a chance to put yourself in a position to win the cup, you HAVE to take it, otherwise you will regret your decision after your career is done.
    LOL, Galley's opinion doesn't hold much water for me, but I get your point.
    Only time will tell but I can see where many might think Phillips is just too comfortable here.
    Let me ask this - would everyone be okay with Phillips sticking around if he was coming in at the 2 million mark?

Let me ask this - would everyone be okay with Phillips sticking around if he was coming in at the 2 million mark?
    @ 2M I'd be hesitant because I don't think he's a good fit for our rebuild. That being said, I'd understand the move to keep him @ that price...he *could* become a valuable veteran in the locker room for all the new blood coming in.

LOL, Galley's opinion doesn't hold much water for me, but I get your point.
    Only time will tell but I can see where many might think Phillips is just too comfortable here.
    i'd be more comfortable at that number but I still question why he would want to stay. Unfortunately, in the cap era, it comes down to salary and not making mistakes signing people. We've got a few mistakes on D right now with contracts that are tough to move (Kuba and Gonchar). We don't need another. If Phillips has another crappy year next year, we're stuck with him, Kuba and Gonchar until their contracts expire. Who knows, perhaps Murray has buyers for those other two and then this deal makes more sense - but right now that's a lot of dough tied up for some severely underperforming D-men.

If Phillips has another crappy year next year, we're stuck with him, Kuba and Gonchar until their contracts expire. Who knows, perhaps Murray has buyers for those other two and then this deal makes more sense - but right now that's a lot of dough tied up for some severely underperforming D-men.
    It is a lot of dough for those three for sure.
    I think we might be able to move Kuba, but I think Campoli is a more likely candidate to be shipped out.
    Gonchar will be here until the horrible, bitter end of his bloated contract.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    On a definitely positive note - they picked up goalie Curtis Mcilhenney off of waivers. Great move. This lets Lehner return to Bingo and actually play some hockey, rather than having to sit behind Anderson. Not a high profile move, but a hugely smart one.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I'm Ok with keeping Philips around but I think 3 years is to long and 3 plus million a year to expensive.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    With the no movement clause, it's definately too much. I would have been inclined to trade him and then pick him up later for less if he was still available.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    From TSN.ca:
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    On a definitely positive note - they picked up goalie Curtis Mcilhenney off of waivers. Great move. This lets Lehner return to Bingo and actually play some hockey, rather than having to sit behind Anderson. Not a high profile move, but a hugely smart one.
    Agreed! Good move.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    There is about 50 defenceman in the NHL (and some in the AHL) that makes more than $3M / year. Phillips would have got a lot more than $3M on the open market. Ottawa got him for relatively cheap and he is not a high maintenance player... before complaining some of you should look at the salary of some of the defenceman in the league.

I don't know why but every time a player wants to stay in Ottawa most of you is ready to hang him??? He could have went anywhere he wanted and he decided that he is happy in Ottawa.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs down Too much heart...

I'm no Murray fan and I think this is a case that he let his heart rule his business head. Too much $$$ and a no movement clause for three years (age 36). I shudder when I hear comments like his real value is in the locker room. What does that mean, Really? On the other hand this is/was a marquee player and if all he was going to get from the other teams was a seventh round conditional draft pick then I think this would send a bad message. Would have looked more like dis-mantling rather than re-building. Probably lots more to this than we'll ever know. I do agree with the comment about his +/- being a reflection of no supporting cast and toothless goal tending.

With Campoli now gone, the Phillips deal makes even more sense. Next year, you could theoretically pair a young d man with a vet... not that Kuba and Gonchar are role models out there mind you...

Phillips - Karlsson
    Kuba - Rundblad
    Gonchar - Cowan
    Lee
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    There is about 50 defenceman in the NHL (and some in the AHL) that makes more than $3M / year. Phillips would have got a lot more than $3M on the open market. Ottawa got him for relatively cheap and he is not a high maintenance player... before complaining some of you should look at the salary of some of the defenceman in the league.

I don't know why but every time a player wants to stay in Ottawa most of you is ready to hang him??? He could have went anywhere he wanted and he decided that he is happy in Ottawa.
    This.

If someone (Sather) was willing to give Redden 6 million two years ago, someone likely would have paid 3.5-4 for Phillips. Here's why:

According to nhlnumbers.com, Phillips is the 59th highest paid defenseman in the league this year. Next year, he'll drop to 66th. If you're looking for comparables, look at Willie Mitchell. Mitchell makes 3.5 million, the same as Phillips. Mitchell is 33, Phillips will be 33 in a week or so. Phillips' offensive numbers are slightly better, and while Mitchell is more physical, Mitchell is far less durable (Phillips has been extremely durable, missing only one regular season game in the last five seasons).

Both are stay at home defencemen. So if you factor in durability and production, it would be easy to make the case that Phillips did take a home town discount, as distasteful as that is for some people.

Had Murray traded Phillips, or let him go as a free agent, Murray would still be looking for a veteran stay at home defenceman to mentor the three youngsters. It might as well be a guy who you know and trust, and who has Stanley Cup Playoff and Finals experience.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    I really like this too - claimed off waivers should = no pressure. Lehner, as exciting as he is, isn't ready. History has also shown us the Sens goalie chasing escapades have not been a smashing success.
    The rebuild years will give Lehner time to hone his skills.

On another note, I'm glad Campoli went to Chi, I think he'll flourish there.

Thread Information