100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood wboudrea is on a distinguished road wboudrea's Avatar

East Coast Golf and Stay (Honeymoon)

I know there are some transplanted Maritimers here on the board so I thought I would throw this up here. I am getting married in July and my and fiance have decided that we would like to go spend some time on the East coast for out honeymoon. She said that we can even play some golf (ask me if I made the right call with her). She played in the GAL league at Falcon Ridge last year so she likes the game but is still learning. Minimal forced carries (especially off the tee) would be one request for courses. I am wondering what you guys and gals know about golf in eastern Canada and if anyone has any ideas on places to stay or must see things while we are there fire away. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-#99

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar

Dundee resort (Cape Breton) is a great course, used to be a member. Tough, tree/hill lined course. Not a whole lot of carry needed off the tee, if any. Scenery is amazing, off the Bra D'Or lakes. A few hours (~4) out from Halifax and the Cabot Trail isn't far off. They are owned by the same people who run the other main courses in Cape Breton (Bell Bay, Highlands Links). They should have some packages to play all/some courses. Highlands Links used to be ranked really high in Canada. Hope this helps a bit. I'm looking to hit PEI in May if anybody has info on that area for you I could use it as well.

www.dundeegolfclub.com
    www.capebretonresorts.com

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    If you tell me which province you'd like to visit, I'll be better able to suggest the courses (and hotels) you might like to consider. There isn't a part of NB or NS that I have not visited. And I know PEI and parts of Newfoundland very well.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Sand Wedge DennisA is on a distinguished road
    If you plan on staying in NB, a suggestion:

http://www.fairmont.com/algonquin/Re...ationguide.htm

If you end up in PEI you can always check out Mill River Golf Course (course used for Big Break PEI):

http://golflinkspei.com/golf/proto/g..._millriver.htm

I haven't played either of these courses as I didn't get into golfing until after leaving the Maritimes.

Just a couple suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Mpare, although we have not set up any real plans as of yet I personally loved NS when I visted with my family but I am torn between sticking in one central place and the world wind tour. Newfoundland will be another trip for us in the future. Right now I am up for any advice that someone who has been all over has to offer. The Cabot Trail is definitly on the list for things to do so I am intrigued by golf that would be close to some of the stops on the trail. When we did it as a kid we flew around in one day so I think I would like to break it up a bit this time, especially if there is some golf thrown in there.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'll post some suggestions once I arrive home later this week after driving up from the Gulf Coast of Alabama. In the meantime, please let us know if you are planning to drive to the Maritimes or are flying. If you are flying, my guess is that you will land in Halifax and rent a car. Which will it be?

Quote Originally Posted by wboudrea View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Mpare, although we have not set up any real plans as of yet I personally loved NS when I visted with my family but I am torn between sticking in one central place and the world wind tour. Newfoundland will be another trip for us in the future. Right now I am up for any advice that someone who has been all over has to offer. The Cabot Trail is definitly on the list for things to do so I am intrigued by golf that would be close to some of the stops on the trail. When we did it as a kid we flew around in one day so I think I would like to break it up a bit this time, especially if there is some golf thrown in there.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Bogie GoingLow is on a distinguished road GoingLow's Avatar

PEI - then - Cabot trail

I would recommend starting in PEI, the must plays are Crowbush, Green Gables and choose a third, I would recommend staying in Lakeside, (it's attached to seventh hole at Crowbush). Unreal beach where you can walk all day each way.... Stay at one of the cottages that are availible for rent there. I can help with that if you want to dive deeper, lets say I have an inside track......Although Crowbush is tough when the winds blowing, its a day rate and most of the ladies Tee boxes are up and do not have forced carries other than 6,8 short par 3's and 11, although even the best of us but one in that pond....

You can tour the island, the charm, buy lobster off the boat, cook in your own place, or eat around. Then take the Wood Islands - Caribou ferry over to NS and do the Cabot trail, with luck you will see whales off the coast. Must plays in Cape Breton are Highland Links ( # 1 in Canada a few times ) and Bell Bay. You can stay at B & B 's throughout Cape Breton but this would be the expensive part of the trip....

There are plenty of reasonable tracks everywhere you go, Avondale in PEI is a good example,http://www.avondalegolf.com/memberships.php#guestrates,

In Cheticamp there is a track and Antigonish - ST FX....

Did this exact trip last year, and go home to PEI a few times every summer...

Enjoy yourself, its a celebration......

Goinlow - Thanks for the advice. I will definitly be in touch about the cottage rental. Is it located in a place that could serve as our hub for seeing the island in a bunch of day trips? How long would you recomend we stay on the island? Thanks for the good advice.

Mpare - I am 90% sure we will be driving. What we are discussiong right now is driving to Quebec City and spending one or two days then driving for a day from there to our first destination on the coast. Thanks for the help.

It could be your hub, you can drive across PEI in a few hours, but its on the North East side of the island...I would stay as long as you can, it depends on how long you have, if you have 2 weeks then stay a week in PEI and a week in Cape Breton....

1 Iron infinity13 is on a distinguished road infinity13's Avatar
    An excellent course on your way is just outside Fredericton NB, my hometown. Right off the Highway you would be taking to PEI or NS is a golf course called Kingswood, its still one of the best all around courses I have ever played. It made golf digest top one hundred (I think 3rd) when it opened a few years back.

Edit: Actually my avatar is a picture of the first hole.

Kingswood eh? Cool I will play on my way down fo sho!!!!

1 Iron infinity13 is on a distinguished road infinity13's Avatar
    Excellent, you wont regret it. If you want to look up the site its:
    http://www.kingswoodpark.com/golf.php

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity13 View Post
    Excellent, you wont regret it. If you want to look up the site its:
    http://www.kingswoodpark.com/golf.php
    I 2nd Kingswood Played it a few times.

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    Congratulations! The two obvious golf locations are PEI and Cape Breton. Seeing as you asked for a course that was suitable for your new wife, I would suggest that you consider a game at Northumberland Links in Pugwash, NS. It is not that far from the bridge to PEI or from highway 104 to Cape Breton. It is a nice course with reasonable green fees. If I recall correctly, the course is not overly long. Keep a look out for Anne Murray while you are there.

Thread Information