100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kovalev gone

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Kovalev gone

my turn to get in on the action.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    without pictures or newsprint, this means nothing!?!?!?
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

.......to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional seventh-round pick.

We got shafted on that one.
    Way to go Murray!!!!!!!!!!

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    Hopefully we are making room for a consistent mature goalie for next year! hopefully
    Just another lefty....

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I would settle for an immature consistent goalie
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    .......to the Pittsburgh Penguins for a conditional seventh-round pick.

We got shafted on that one.
    Way to go Murray!!!!!!!!!!
    exactly what did you think we'd get for an overpaid, underperforming guy with no heart? Murray just knocked a mil or 2 off the books for the remainder of the year.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    exactly what did you think we'd get for an overpaid, underperforming guy with no heart? Murray just knocked a mil or 2 off the books for the remainder of the year.
    Exactly and Kovalev was gone at the end of the year for nothing...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I expected more than a 7th round pick.
    Of course I expected more of Kovalev this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    I expected more than a 7th round pick.
    Of course I expected more of Kovalev this year.
    not me. A bag of pucks would have done the trick.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Wonder if all these guys got together to get a discount on a high-end realtor...
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Goodbye, so long! About time! I would have given him away free if someone just took his salary. I think it's awesome we got something in return.

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    Kind of surprised Murray couldn't get more out of Pittsburgh. They are desperate for help right now.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I will say this. I am satisfied with the deal - something is better than nothing. That said, I'm surprised Murray wouldn't wait until closer to the deadline - see if he could eek a 5th or 6th rounder out of someone. Teams tend to panic and overpay the closer the deadline gets.

i don't think the market was very big for him - in fact I'd be surprised that more than 1 or 2 teams were interested. And you need someone with cap space, almost $2M in salary to be paid this year. So you take what you get when you can. The opposite is true also - if you wait, others get traded and your market can disappear.

The goal was to get the $ off the books. Mission accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Goodbye, so long! About time! I would have given him away free if someone just took his salary. I think it's awesome we got something in return.
    This

and why would Pittsburgh want him? Just adding him to the roster makes your team worse. Plus they lose a pick. I say Pittsburgh got shafted on this deal.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    This

and why would Pittsburgh want him? Just adding him to the roster makes your team worse. Plus they lose a pick. I say Pittsburgh got shafted on this deal.
    Kovi was terrible for us, but i suspect this helps Pitts. He can get up for a 30 game season with a near guarantee of playoffs. I think its a win-win

from cbssports:

"In exchange, the Penguins gave up a seventh-round pick in this year's draft. It will turn into a sixth-round pick if Pittsburgh reaches the second round of the playoffs and Kovalev appears in at least 50 percent of the first-round games. "

You can guarantee Kovalev will not show up for 50 percent of the games.... even if he is there on the ice.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I can understand the pressures that are on Murray to unload some salary cap, but seems to me if he waits until the weekend or possibly Monday he may of gotten higher picks for both Kovalev and Ruutu. 7th round pick for Kovalev? Come on..

Shagging Balls nexxo is on a distinguished road
    this deal had nothing at all to do with getting rid of cap space. He is an UFA at end of year, the only point in this deal as to get some type of asset in return for a UFA.

Now whether or not he could have gotten a better asset? well who knows i guess, i have never thought murray to be a genius with deals, actually quite the opposite, but this one is neither good nor bad, just an easy deal for a non performing player on a team going no where.

Quote Originally Posted by nexxo View Post
    this deal had nothing at all to do with getting rid of cap space. He is an UFA at end of year, the only point in this deal as to get some type of asset in return for a UFA.

Now whether or not he could have gotten a better asset? well who knows i guess, i have never thought murray to be a genius with deals, actually quite the opposite, but this one is neither good nor bad, just an easy deal for a non performing player on a team going no where.
    you're kidding right. It had everything to do with getting rid of cap space.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I'll take this 'bird in the hand' deal we got for Kovalev any day. A 7th rounder isn't great, but better than not being able to deal him at all and have him walk away at the end of the year.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    This is a good deal for the Pens. If Sid comes back, and that is a big IF, Kovy has the talent to play to the right of Sid and could score tones of goals. It's a gamble but a 7th round or conditional 6th is not a hard deal to make on both sides. The Sens got rid of expensive dead wood and the Pens did not give anything away. Granted, some great players got drafted in 7th but very low percentile 7th round picks every see NHL ice time.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

he is off the books at the end of the year, unless you think the sens are trying to land a big time player (s) this year for the remainder of this season (for gthat big playoff run!!) there is no cap issue at all. It was simply a matter of getting something, anything, in return for a UFA.

Now melynk is probaly happy to not pay the salary, but this is not a cap issue

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    you're kidding right. It had everything to do with getting rid of cap space.

he is off the books at the end of the year, unless you think the sens are trying to land a big time player (s) this year for the remainder of this season (for gthat big playoff run!!) there is no cap issue at all. It was simply a matter of getting something, anything, in return for a UFA.

Now melynk is probaly happy to not pay the salary, but this is not a cap issue
    when I said it was a cap issue what I meant is it was about saving $. Why pay a useless player $1.7m for the rest of the year when they are going nowhere. Murray basically gave him away to get rid of the salary. He'd have taken a bucket of pucks if it meant getting rid of Kovalev's contract, which is basically what he did.

now that is true, dump the salary, and get a return. I wouldn't be surprised if melnyk has said that $$$ is a concern going forward, with spezza, alfredson, michalek and gonchar set to still make the money they make, along with guys like neil getting 2 mil this team carries a lot of salary for non producers. Sens fans better watch hope they don't fall back to a team that is financially in trouble, again

now that is true, dump the salary, and get a return. I wouldn't be surprised if melnyk has said that $$$ is a concern going forward, with spezza, alfredson, michalek and gonchar set to still make the money they make, along with guys like neil getting 2 mil this team carries a lot of salary for non producers. Sens fans better watch hope they don't fall back to a team that is financially in trouble, again
    i don't think financial instability will be an issue. Melnyk has deep pockets and the cap is in place to protect that - if anything, they will underspend the cap as they rebuild and save more $. Revenues will likely drop, since they will have a reduced attendance but as long as the team is heading in the right direction, they will be fine. I think the rebuild could be quicker than people think provided a few pieces fall into place, namely goaltending, a few young guys stepping in an the signing of a few key UFA's.

i just wonder how much melynk is willing to spend, to me, and this is just my feeling, he is a come and go owner, i would not be surprised to see him want out in a few years, specially with a team that continues to not win.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    i just wonder how much melynk is willing to spend, to me, and this is just my feeling, he is a come and go owner, i would not be surprised to see him want out in a few years, specially with a team that continues to not win.
    A come and go owner doesn't also own a junior hockey team (St. Mike's).

I think Melnyk is around for the long haul, though I'm concerned about his influence when it comes to signing UFAs. For example, Kovalev / Gonchar. If he is able to temper his Jerry Jones like tendencies, the Senators will be much better for it.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information