100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

The King and the Bear

I am heading to FLA in April and will be at the World Golf Village so I wanted to play the King and the Bear when I am there. I also heard of St-John's but know little about it. Anyone here ever played in the area. I am open to suggestions especially if anyone knows of a nice B&B there.

Thanks.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Hi Lefty...

I've got a house on Southern Dunes course and I really to like that course. Always in great shape. New grees run about 11, fast and true.

Other courses that I play, Panther Lake and Crooked Cat, (though I was a little disappointed in the greens first week of Feb when I was there) and Magnolia at Disney. Never had a bad experience there. I've played all the Disney tracks. I also play Diamondback, which is a nice course.

Royal St-Cloud is underated. A links style course that my neighbour in Florida really likes. I did not get to it yet, but I trust his reviews.

If you don't mind the drive there are two really interesting courses at the Mission Inn about 40 to 45 minutes from DT Orlando. The Mission Inn courses particularly El Campeon is a challenge. It can be very tight, and the next hole can be quite open. It has a couple of holes that have 85 foot elevation changes something that is rare for Florida and it is a very pretty course. Lots of good pictures. You might want to check out their web site.

Don't know of any BB just tons of rental options. I would not stay at a hotel in the Orlando area anymore - with the surplus of vacation rentals there are tons of great deals.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Actually the King and Bear is in Saint Augustine, too far from Orlando, thanks anyhow
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Actually the King and Bear is in Saint Augustine, too far from Orlando, thanks anyhow

Sorry that was a complete DUH moment. You wrote World Golf Village and I read for some strange reason Champions Gate... a very senior moment.

In that area (about 25 miles from Saint Augustine) I've played both the courses at the Hammock Beach Resort. You have to be a guest to play the course. But in April which is when I went the rates drop 'cause it is starting to get hot... The Jack Nicholas course, the Ocean course, was my favorite. Of course you are also only about 25 miles or so from Sawgrass... also played it on that trip...

I'm heading to Orlando area in April, just an Easter 4 day golf blast. We're planning 27 a day for 4 days.

No problem, I have had many moments such as those. I have booked the King and Bear and I am also booking at St Johns for a game, looks great and I have heard great things about it. Sawgrass is not available when I am down, I guess too close to the PLayers event
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Luc, I played St. John's about 3 years ago. The funny thing is I don't remember anything about it other than the clubhouse. I recall everything being nice and I was grouped with 3 other guys from Tennessee but that was about it. BTW, make sure you drive by and stop in at TPC Sawgrass - it's free to enter and walk around. I was able to get a short tour of the course including the 17th hole. They don't like people just wandering the course but you can tour the clubhouse, etc.

btw, I booked this on last minute golf at the time and it was quite cheap
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hi Jeff, did you play the St Johns in St Augustine or the one that is about half hour drive? One is St Johns Golf and Country Club, the other in St Augustine is public and has 27 holes?
    Lefty Lucas

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Hi Jeff, did you play the St Johns in St Augustine or the one that is about half hour drive? One is St Johns Golf and Country Club, the other in St Augustine is public and has 27 holes?
    Luc, I played this one http://www.stjohnsgolf.com/index.php

now you would think by the pictures I would have remembered it as it looks stunning. They hold one of the Q-School rounds there as well.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Ah, that is the one I was looking at although there is another in Saint Augustine that is highly rated as a great public golf course. I am booking the one you mentioned next week to play the 10th of April, I am playing the K&B on the 17th.
    Lefty Lucas

7 Wood speeler_kda is on a distinguished road
    I played Royal Saint Augustine in 2003. IIRC, it's between World Golf Village and the old section of S.A.

Decent course, decent price, not in the same league as King and Bear though. http://royalstaugustine.com/cms/

(web site is flaky, you may have to hit refresh a few times). I also drove up to TPC Sawgrass. They still have the old clubhouse then but it was cool to walk around and check out the sights... Green fee if you're not staying at the resort was almost $500...

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, unfortunately TPC it is not open to the public when I am there in preparation for the Players I guess. I will check out Royal
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information