+ Reply to Thread
    Lob Wedge pharmboy is on a distinguished road

Thoughts on a Commercial Sim under $15,000?

Hi,
    Firstly, let me thank members like bubba, rdh, zmax and mmlincon for your commitment to this forum. Your wealth of knowledge is invaluable and you guys have really helped me to start to understand this technology. I was hoping to hear what you guys think about what sim to buy for under $15,000. I started out looking to buy a simulator for home use but realized that the price I would spend on one may not go over so well with the wife. So I decided to go the commercial route to help offset the cost. Once I get the machine I will rent a space and then go from there. Really I just want to play one night a week during the winter but no place around me has a sim so I guess it is up to me to buy one. I have been looking at the GSA systems and am thinking of going with the Sensor mat and the LA camera with or without a 5 ft trigger array. I have been following the GSA forum but would like to hear if you guys think there are alternatives. The enclosure and screen I plan on building myself so I am mainly just looking for advice on the core system. I feel that launch angle is a must but am not really married to anything else. What else do you guys think about running a commercial sim? Thanks to you all in advance. If I ever get up and running I will be sure to post my experiences and of course you would all be invited to come and play some free golf. Drinks on me.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    If you're going to use a sensor mat + LA camera in your commercial setup, GGS might be the cheapest solution. The Protee 2.0 might also have a commercial solution.

With the GGS setup above, the trigger array is not needed if you're going to use the sensor mat. I have a theory that the GGS trigger array is not needed for any cameras, but I would like to keep that discussion private until I can verify that it works.

The other option might be the Sports Coach camera systems that sells for around $15000, not sure if the spin camera is included in that price. We have a similar thread on this subject. The issue with the Sports Coach system are the GPS courses. IMO, they're not as good looking as GSA courses.

Part of the reason I am thinking of going with the GGS is the availability of the E6 software, though I have never played on either. It just seems the E6 is as commercial as it can get without spending 50,000 plus. I guess I just needed reassurance that I am on the right track with GSA. I have looked at the Sports Coach System graphics and you are right that they do not seem to compare to the GSA.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I have to agree with ZMax. The GSA aystem is very modular and if the E6 becomes available then that would be very special. The Protee is very good as well however the LA cam is still under development. I agree that the Sportscoach GPS software is not as appealing as the Customplay look.

The E6 would be a dream but the price is $3000-5000(all courses) for current GSA users. It's more if you're going straight to E6.

Also, the interface for GGS/E6 is not ready yet. When it's available, I would want to try a demo first before I spend that much money. With relatively steep price of the E6, one would think that the interface is done right with all bells and whistles working correctly, but in this industry, you can't assume that.

Also, not sure if you've been reading the CPG/GSA thread, but Red Chain, the makers of CPG/GSA courses, have just started development of a second generation graphics engine for CPG/GSA that might rival the E6.

Good points ZMax.

No, Zmax, I have not been looking at the Red Chain thread but will be sure to check it out. Do you guys think that I would be good going with the GSA Prosensor Mat and Vertical Camera for now? At first I was looking at the Sensor Mat with dual camera system but I have to cut the price down somewhere. I have a tendency to keep on going further down the rabbit hole when it comes to buying things. From a commercial perspective to you guys think I will be doing a lot more maintenance on something that involves camera technology as opposed to sensors?

Quote Originally Posted by pharmboy View Post
    No, Zmax, I have not been looking at the Red Chain thread but will be sure to check it out. Do you guys think that I would be good going with the GSA Prosensor Mat and Vertical Camera for now? At first I was looking at the Sensor Mat with dual camera system but I have to cut the price down somewhere. I have a tendency to keep on going further down the rabbit hole when it comes to buying things. From a commercial perspective to you guys think I will be doing a lot more maintenance on something that involves camera technology as opposed to sensors?
    With the sensor mat and LA camera, you will have a system that will be more accurate than most $40k commercial setups out there.

The camera technology will require calibration initially but once you have it dialed in, you should not have to touch the settings.

The sensor mats are the same way. Some calibration or tweaking is needed initially. Just more of it when you add a camera system.

You are probably right ZMax. Just like the Protee, there are some calibrations needed but once done you get a very accurate system.

Playing Winter Rules mmlincon is on a distinguished road
    Yet another option is to wait until GSA has the firewire cameras working. The benefit here would be that you don't need a trigger for these cameras. At least that is what we are being told. If you go with a sensor array their could be some cleaning involved to keep the sensors free of debris. It would also give you a cleaner playing area as you wouldn't a slot where the camera triggers would be. If you went with the sensor mat, H camera and V camera you would have a very accurate simulator for all shot types and putting. Assuming the whole firewire camera setup goes as planned; that is the setup I'd go with.

Putter cabler is on a distinguished road
    Not sure if it is 100% correct, but a Sports Coach dealer told me that E6 software will be available to use with sports coach simulators within the next few weeks. I am waiting to see if it happens before making my final decision.
    I'm new to this forum and if anyone has any experience (other than software) with the Sports Coach (silver) Sims, I'd really appreciate hearing more. I am considering also considering a set up from foresight, but with a budget of 20K, its not looking good. I would love to hear your advice.
    Thanks

Tell me again why you want E6 over Red Chain software? Sports Coach is not Red Chain but uses GPS software which is not a good in my opinion. Why E6?

Bubba, I'm very open to suggestions. I originally wanted to go with foresights (red chain software), but after adding the club technology to the GS2, plus a screen, computer, mat/turf, etc, I assumed I would be well over my 20-25k budget.

I had heard the e6 software was better than what sports coach was previously using.

What is it for? Commercial sim setup? Teaching? Club fitting? Do you need club and ball data or is just one or the other ok?

The sim would be for home use, both game improvement and entertainment. I def want to track both club and ball. I would say game improvement would be its primary use, but it would also nice to be able to play 9 holes at night after working and lugging my kids all over the place for hockey.

This thread is for commercial sim under $15K that's why I ask. Yep,GC2 with HMT will be pricey. Have you read the info on Sportscoach? Do read it.GC2 alone is a good option. Accurate but no club data. ProTee would also be a good option.

I have read info on the Sport Coach website and par2pro and other dealers, but I haven't had the opportunity to actually demo one. The Sports Coach Silver seems like a great value, but I want to make sure I am getting a quality Sim, not just saving money. Do you know if Sports Coach offers the swing analysis add on (swing catalyst) that full swing golf offers. I will look into pro tee. Thamk for the reccomendations. I will start another thread and see what info I can get from the guys. I believe it is a UK based company, so I dont know how many people here will have tried them. Thanks again

Read this cabler. http://forum.OttawaGolf.com/showthre...coach-thoughts
    Sportscoach is UK but is the same as Foregolf here in North America.not sure about the swing analysis add on.

Postaholic CPA is on a distinguished road
    GC2 with Swingbyte2 add-on for club and video data?

Ace wbealsd is on a distinguished road
    If cabler's budget is $20-$25k, as I take him to be saying in comment #13, then I think he should be able to have a GC2 + HMT setup and still stay within budget. Plus, it offers club fitting and portability but the downside is the courses are more pricey than other systems.

Another setup to consider, leave out the HMT, get more courses and use something like Swingbyte for club data.

For a permanent setup for home game improvement and entertainment, then ProTee should be considered and is a less expensive option.

There's always going to be some kind of trade-off, but $20-25k you can have a very high quality setup. I don't think many of us on this forum have that much invested in ours, I know I don't - lol

A 2 cam setup using V1 or motionview using 1 pseye and another cam would be very useful.

Cost with motionview and 2 cams $600 max. V1 add $1000.

Or if the swingbyte2 rear video is good just V1 and 1 pseye cam for $40.

It's really too bad you guys can't join us in online play. I would love to play with you guys.

With my 270 metre drives I would take too nuch money off you Bubba....... ! Yes that distance on the gc2 is true to life.

Bring it CPA! Like I said, it's too bad we can't all play. I know you would love it CPA. Cab I have played with Sportscoach and Foregolf. I found the system ok. It was somewhat forgiving and I certainly didn't trust every shot and all the numbers. I personally wouldn't get one as there at cheaper and probably better options out there.

Thread Information