CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ruutu Gone

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar

Ruutu Gone

Off to Anaheim for a 6th rounder.

At this rate we're going to have to make a trades thread ... one thread per sens trade and the whole board will be filled!
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    that leaves Kovalev and Philips..the more I think about it, a perfect setup for the habs - how bout it!
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    this trade doesn't really make sense to me. At least with the other 2 we were receiving decent picks and clearing $ off the books for next year. But in this case we get a 6th and he is a UFA. I guess gems have been found in the 6th, but unlikely. Maybe Melnyk's trying to save on his taxes for next year!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Saves a few hundred k and we'd get nothing for him at the end of the season

That's about it
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Known entity Mattchew is on a distinguished road Mattchew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Saves a few hundred k and we'd get nothing for him at the end of the season

That's about it
    a few hundred K and about 20 jerseys....evey single time the camera went on Rutuu he was chewing on his Jersey! Have a snack before the game!
    "If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." Kirk Cobain

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Like Fisher and Kelly, Ruutu is a player who I think played really hard during his time here, even though he's prone to taking some bonehead penalties.

6th rounder isn't great but, better to get something for him now rather than let him walk away at the end of the season.

It's going to be interesting to see who we are actually going to rebuild around. I like Spezza but I'm not convinced he's the guy.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see who we are actually going to rebuild around. I like Spezza but I'm not convinced he's the guy.
    I agree with you. I am not convinced he is the guy, but am also not convinced he isn't the guy... if that makes sense.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    this trade doesn't really make sense to me. At least with the other 2 we were receiving decent picks and clearing $ off the books for next year. But in this case we get a 6th and he is a UFA. I guess gems have been found in the 6th, but unlikely. Maybe Melnyk's trying to save on his taxes for next year!
    Ruutu isn't someone who needs to be around for a rebuild and at 35 he isn't as effective in his role as he once was. He is a free agent this spring -- no reason to keep him around.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I agree with you. I am not convinced he is the guy, but am also not convinced he isn't the guy... if that makes sense.
    with the cap space they have freeing up, they can go spend some $ on a few guys that they can build around.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    FYI Alfie was a 6th rounder, and Datsuyk & Zetterberg 7th rounders I believe.

Spezza will wear the C for this team within the next 3 years, however I do agree with him being and not being the guy. Odd statement I know. Its a love hate with him.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    that leaves Kovalev and Philips..the more I think about it, a perfect setup for the habs - how bout it!
    You can keep Kovy but I'd take Philips. He is the type of D that would fit well in MTL especially with all the injuries lately. I’m surprised they got Mara instead. They must be looking for something big in exchange for Philips.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I'm OK with this trade. Sens have people in Bingo as good as him.

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    FYI Alfie was a 6th rounder, and Datsuyk & Zetterberg 7th rounders I believe.
    Yeah and that was also back in the day before each team had directors of scouting in every country with a frozen pond.....not saying it can't happen today, just much more difficult

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    with the cap space they have freeing up, they can go spend some $ on a few guys that they can build around.
    wroooong. If you want to do it right, you save that money. Don't waste it on free agents who will help you be mediocre (at best) now. Save it so you can go out in three years and add the final pieces - after you've built around a solid core of young guys.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    wroooong. If you want to do it right, you save that money. Don't waste it on free agents who will help you be mediocre (at best) now. Save it so you can go out in three years and add the final pieces - after you've built around a solid core of young guys.
    The cap really doesn't work that way - you can't 'save' money and then spend it three years down the road.
    Both front and rear loaded contracts are averaged over the duration of the contract, meaning if you sign a player for 15 million over 3 years, it's a cap hit of 5 million a year regardless of how the contract is structured.
    There is also a payroll minimum - this year it's around 43 million, so total payroll cannot fall below that.
    Murray has no choice but to sign some free agents this summer. Anyway you slice it though, this is going to be a 3-5 year rebuild.

you can armchair GM the Sens your way, I'll do it my way.

Do you think Ottawa fans will be patient to sit around for another 3 years (after the last 2) and see losing season after losing season? And what about the guys that are left, Alfie, Spezza, Karlsson, etc. Do you think they want to just play with a bunch of rookies?

Add a few necessary pieces to be competitive, you don't need to go sign guys like Kovalchuk to ridiculous contracts, but get a few solid players to bolster the lineup and start things moving forward sooner than later.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    you can armchair GM the Sens your way, I'll do it my way.

Do you think Ottawa fans will be patient to sit around for another 3 years (after the last 2) and see losing season after losing season? And what about the guys that are left, Alfie, Spezza, Karlsson, etc. Do you think they want to just play with a bunch of rookies?

Add a few necessary pieces to be competitive, you don't need to go sign guys like Kovalchuk to ridiculous contracts, but get a few solid players to bolster the lineup and start things moving forward sooner than later.
    Case in point, Philadelphia. In 06-07 the Flyers finished with a league worst 55 points. in 07-08, after signing Daniel Briere and having Carter and Richards mature a bit in their third year, they finished with 95 points.
    Last edited by 3Jack; 02-19-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons View Post
    The cap really doesn't work that way - you can't 'save' money and then spend it three years down the road.
    Both front and rear loaded contracts are averaged over the duration of the contract, meaning if you sign a player for 15 million over 3 years, it's a cap hit of 5 million a year regardless of how the contract is structured.
    There is also a payroll minimum - this year it's around 43 million, so total payroll cannot fall below that.
    Murray has no choice but to sign some free agents this summer. Anyway you slice it though, this is going to be a 3-5 year rebuild.
    I know how the cap works. What I mean is, you don't want to go out spending money on long term contracts this summer. Then in a few years - when your young guys are ready to really compete - you'll end up in a situation where you don't have the cap space to go out and get the key pieces that your team doesn't have. You need to maintain yourself a decent buffer zone so that you can't go out and get the players you need, when you really need them.

you don't want to go out spending money on long term contracts this summer
    This will disappoint a number of geriatric Russians.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Case in point, Philadelphia. In 06-07 the Flyers finished with a league worst 55 points. in 07-08, after signing Daniel Briere and having Carter and Richards mature a bit in their third year, they finished with 95 points.
    That's great when you have a Richards and a Carter in your organization. Ottawa doesn't have those pieces yet. The next couple years are about acquiring those. There are definitely some promising young guys in the organization, but it will be 2-3 years before they start to pay dividends.

The way the league is structured, young guys make the difference. Acquiring draft picks, drafting well, and having the patience to allow those guys to develop is a big part of building a winner for the long term.

Thread Information