CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Kaymer: Woods deserves more respect

Tiger Woods deserves to be given more respect for his huge contribution to golf while he seeks to return to winning ways, world number two Martin Kaymer said.

More...

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Martin Kaymer has lost his mind.

Tiger Woods doesn't deserve more respect. He has made hundreds of millions of dollars. Golf doesn't owe him anything. Fans don't owe him anything. No body owes Tiger Woods anything. Martin Kaymer has lost his mind.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    Tiger Woods doesn't deserve more respect. He has made hundreds of millions of dollars. Golf doesn't owe him anything. Fans don't owe him anything. No body owes Tiger Woods anything. Martin Kaymer has lost his mind.
    "I have a lot of respect for him, all of the things that he did and we should be very thankful for what he's done for golf. MK
    He is being given credit for raising the purses for the PGA Tour, lining the pockets of the elite players, which increases the cost to sponsors, and consequently increases the cost to us, the consumers, who ultimately pay for everything.

But I don't see what he has done FOR GOLF. The game has not changed because of Tiger.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Did Jack or Arnold change the game or do anything for golf then?? just wondering!
    Last edited by Gropper; 02-08-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gropper View Post
    Did Jack or Arnold change the game or do anything for golf then?? just wondering!
    +1...I think people quickly forget what golf was like pre-tiger. I agree he's made a mint playing and so on. But to say that Tiger Woods has done nothing for the game of golf is pretty naive.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I'm not a Tiger fan either, but the facts suggest that there is good reason why tour pros should appreciate his presence on the PGA Tour. Purses dramatically increased since he's been on the Tour and most have acknowledged that this was due in no small part to Tiger. That increase in purses did not line the pockets of only the elite players. All Tour players have benefitted financially. One can argue that his contribution in this regard has been analogous to Arnie's and Jack's. Just as it would be silly to condemn them for having contributed to increased purses, it is equally unfair to attack Tiger on this front. In all of those cases, the costs are ultimately passed on to the consumer. That isn't the fault of the player. It's simply the consequence of business realities.

Beyond his financial contribution to golf, I admit that it is difficult to see what Tiger has done for golf. That said, former President George Bush Sr. was recognized for his contributions to golf by being inducted into Golf's Hall of Fame. I'm still trying to figure out what he did that merited that recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    "I have a lot of respect for him, all of the things that he did and we should be very thankful for what he's done for golf. MK
    He is being given credit for raising the purses for the PGA Tour, lining the pockets of the elite players, which increases the cost to sponsors, and consequently increases the cost to us, the consumers, who ultimately pay for everything.

But I don't see what he has done FOR GOLF. The game has not changed because of Tiger.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    But it has changed:

Purses have increased
    Equipment sales ( notably Nike's ) have increased
    JR. golfers are appearing like never before
    golf in "black" America is huge due to Tiger
    Golfers have taken fitness to a whole new level
    Competition is fiercer than ever due to increased fitness and practicing by ALL golfers not just a select few

And there are more areas it has changed to these are just a few examples. He has helped grow the game on the biggest scale imaginable like a Wayne Gretzky & Michael Jordan did for their sports.

His accomplishments should not be overlooked. Remember Jordan gambled & cheated too????
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Sad that some people can't see past a person's faults to acknowledge the good they've done.

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    Break68 & BC Mist : That's incredibly naive and I am shocked that you can hate a guy soo much that you can't see all the great things he has done for golf, a sport in which you obviously love.

All the Tiger haters say the same thing.

1. He's a cry baby.. Look at every other sport, all the best players are called cry babies.. Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby...

2. He is always featured at tournaments and we see all his shots and not enough of the competition.. He can't change that, not his fault. He pulls shots out of his A@@ and thats why they always show his incredible shots..

3. He isn't a good sport.. No, he's competetive and he wears his feelings on his sleeve.. Too bad. That's the way he is.. I don't like it either but can't change it.

4. He is a bad role model. Not in golf he isn't. He has shown kids how great you can be at this game if you work hard.
    Just another lefty....

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    I agree with weazl

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    He has done lots for the players but also for the fans... Golf use to be on TV from 3:00 to 6:00 PM Saturday and Sunday... if we were lucky. Now we have a channel 24/7 and coverage Thursday to Sunday for most of the tournaments...and that is not counting the coverage for the majors...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

If the 24/7 golf coverage that you are referring to is the Golf Channel, my understanding is that it was born from the minds and partnership of Messrs Gibbs and Palmer, quite independently of Tiger Woods. Is there something I'm missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    He has done lots for the players but also for the fans... Golf use to be on TV from 3:00 to 6:00 PM Saturday and Sunday... if we were lucky. Now we have a channel 24/7 and coverage Thursday to Sunday for most of the tournaments...and that is not counting the coverage for the majors...
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Tiger gets too much credit (respect) in the eyes of some.

He is somehow responsible for everything good in golf don't ya know.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Yes, Golf channel was started by Arnold Palmer and others, but not Tiger Woods.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Tiger gets too much credit (respect) in the eyes of some.
    He is somehow responsible for everything good in golf don't ya know.

And from some he has done nothing at all in the last 10 years for golf....guess we know what camp you are in.

Everytime there have been an athlete that has been that much better then the rest, there are always people who think hes the best ever and then there are people that hate him with a passion. It really is very sad!
    Last edited by Gropper; 02-09-2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: man i cant spell!!!!!!!!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    If the 24/7 golf coverage that you are referring to is the Golf Channel, my understanding is that it was born from the minds and partnership of Messrs Gibbs and Palmer, quite independently of Tiger Woods. Is there something I'm missing?
    Yes. If the popularity of the game was the same as it was in the late 80s and early 90s, then the Golf Channel probably wouldn't have made it off the cutting room floor.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    I'm of two minds here. Tiger's prowess definitely raised the popularity of the sport. While Tiger didn't start the Golf channel, I doubt it would have been as economically feasible if he hadn't swelled the potential audience as much as he did. The new popularity of golf is also what brought all the bigger sponsorship money.

That being said, anyone who knows anything already acknowledges that. As well, Tiger is a very rich man today because of his efforts. So I have trouble agreeing that he deserves "more" respect - he got plenty. The fact that he's ** away some of that respect due to his extra-marital activities and subsequent meltdown doesn't change that.

Gap Wedge pmar88 is on a distinguished road pmar88's Avatar
    If Tiger wants respect, he needs to GIVE respect, namely to women. And I AM NOT a feminist!

In more than one post the comment has been made that Tiger has been instrumental in the growing interest in golf. What ever growth he contributed to was not long lasting nor was it that large. In America, for example, the National Golf Foundation's numbers ( cgmaterials.com/pdf/GolfPartic.pdf ) show a steady decline (.7 per cent in the 2000s) in golfer participation. More interesting for purposes of this thread are the growth numbers. Any effect that Tiger may have had on growing the game (the 1980s grew 3.7 and the 1990s, 1.6) pales by comparison to the 9.8 per cent increase in golfers in the 1960s,for which Arnie and President Eisenhower deserve much of the credit.

P.S. I would have included the percentage symbol in this post but the program on this site would not let me do it. It converts it in to the following gibberish: %
    Last edited by mpare; 02-09-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pmar88 View Post
    If Tiger wants respect, he needs to GIVE respect, namely to women. And I AM NOT a feminist!
    I'm sorry but disrespecting your marriage vows does not equal disrespecting all women. If a woman had multiple affairs would it even occur to you to say that she doesn't respect men?

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar

For the first time ever, I might agree..haha. He may have exposed more people to the game however I would still be playing with or without him.

Birdie Eagle_Hunter is on a distinguished road Eagle_Hunter's Avatar
    I agree with Grouchy. Just because you cheat doesn\t mean you are disrespecting all women, however the amount of women that were ready to jump in the sac with him knowing full well he is married, now that doesn\t show any self respect.

the reason the numbers have dropped in golf participation are largely due to the economy. In my opinion, they would have dropped a lot more if tiger wasn\t in the picture. Obviously true golfers, the people that love the sport would still play and watch but the younger audience probably wouldn't even looked twice at golf if Tiger wasn't in it. He is a huge part of why young people watch and play the game. It's not viewed as boring anymore.
    Just another lefty....

Quote Originally Posted by Gropper View Post
    And from some he has done nothing at all in the last 10 years for golf....guess we know what camp you are in.
    I never claimed his popularity had no impact. I do contend that crediting him with single-handedly bringing golf to the masses is over the top..

How many TV channels were there in the 1990's? In this age of a channel for every special interest it seems a Golf Channel was inevitable, even if there never was a Tiger. On Rogers there are no less than 70 sports specialty channels with multiple NHL, OHL, MLB, NFL and NBA. There is even Speed for Mororsport fans.

As for which camp I am in, I used to defend him and tolerate his poor sportsmanship, for the same reasons many here do. He was the best player and he made some spectacular shots. Unfortunately his carefully crafted "Man of honour" personna proved to be fake and I now see him for what he really is and I don't have any respect for that. I am enjoying watching golf much more without seeing as much of him.

You'd think he'd clean up his act on course to try and regain some of the lost respect. It isn't that hard to behave professionally while you are at work. That would go a long way in restoring his image. He still behaves like he's "entitled". All that garbage he said about addressing the issue was just more lip service. He is an embarrasment.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

I have given up caring for what athletes\actors and other public figures do on there personal time. Gone are the days of being a child and looking up to these people, as I have realised there are no different then me and you. Some make good choices and some make bad. We all have friend\family that have made bad choices and they are not bad people. Instead I have decided to enjoy watching them play the sports they do or movies they make.

Talking

I should be the first poster on these tour threads more often, this sure has been an interesting thread.
    I agree with Kilroy on this one.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Who cares about TW? He's washed up. Why comment on him?

Damn it...

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Who cares about TW? He's washed up. Why comment on him?

Damn it...
    Nokids, LOL, this is the best post of the day!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Someone who is good for golf gives back, does something over and above or behind the scenes and without fanfare, to advance the game. What has Tiger done in this regard?

Corporate America has gained by Tiger's play, as have the pros with the huge jump in purses. But this is not their being "good for golf," but rather taking from golf to line their own selfish pockets. They don't care about the game; they only care about making/taking money - ultimately, your money.

Eagle Hunter: I don't hate Tiger, I just find him annoying, both because of his antics and because he has proven to be a phony. However, I truly admire his play, am a fan of Sean Foley and believe that if Tiger stays with the swing adjustments Sean has him working on, he will definitely be back.

Have you ever hit a 300 yard drive, hole a 50 foot putt, dropped a 4 iron in the hole for an eagle, and so? The ONLY difference between you and Tiger, then, is that he does these things more frequently than you. Like all other overpaid and over valued "stars," he's not important. He has done more things to destroy the image of a true golf professional, than he has to advance it. How people can still admire him, is quite baffling.

Talking

Eagle Hunter: I don't hate Tiger, I just find him annoying, both because of his antics and because he has proven to be a phony. However, I truly admire his play, am a fan of Sean Foley and believe that if Tiger stays with the swing adjustments Sean has him working on, he will definitely be back.
    My feelings exactly, thank you BCMIST.

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    If he did things "behind the scenes without fanfare", how would you know? Perhaps he does, but to state that doesn't is somewhat hard to support, no?

I'm sure if you looked at who has invested the most money in golf development in the US, he would be among the leaders. Be it through financial donations, or the establishment of his foundation, or the donation of his time - he has to be in the top five of all time in this difficult-to-quanitify area.

To imply he hasn't progressed the game or added to it's success because he swears and cheats on his wife is an argument that holds no water. By that logic, I suppose Michael Jackson didn't progress or add value to pop music because when not performing on stage, me may have partook in some questionable behaviour?

Thread Information