CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge Spikel is on a distinguished road

A few questions about Optishot

I put a list of the questions throughout the post at the bottom, thank you so much if you read through this and answer some of my questions!

A few years back, I became ecstatic about a thing called Q-motions. Let's just say that it ended up being a total scam (to me), and it really turned me off of the home golf simulator market. The product seriously hurt my game, and it broke a few weeks later. It was $250 and ran with Tiger Woods 04, it was horrible.

The fact is, I was a bit younger given that I'm currently 18 and so naturally I was quite a bit more gullible. Optishot looks very neat to me, but it's not something I can just blow money on. I'm going into college soon so I don't have money to waste. This is why, approaching this product, I'm being extremely cautious.

This leads to a couple of questions about the device itself. I know it can't actually read your distances, so you have to input your normal distance for each club and I'm okay with that though it does make me feel uneasy. I'm wondering though, if I blade a shot or completely chunk a shot will it show (my game's a bit rusty)? It's ok if it doesn't read the actual trajectory of the blade and just goes 50 yards on a normal trajectory, but if it goes the full distance I would be extremely disappointed. Could someone please elaborate on how severe miss hits like those show up?

Another thing I'm wondering about is chipping and the short game in general. Is there a max distance you can chip it like in Tiger? I would be very disappointed if this is true, I'm hoping you just get your 100yard sandwedge and hit it like a normal chip. How accurate does it feel? Does it travel as far as you would think it would go in real life? Same goes for putting, I want to know as much as possible, so please don't hold back on the details, this a a very important purchase for me.

Playing a shot from a bunker, could I open my stance and make a large swing? Or would I be "forced" to play a normal chip shot but just hit it a bit harder.

Another important thing to me is the physics. How accurate are they? Looking at youtube videos the physics look a bit "sticky". Does it read backspin and topspin?

Sorry about the long and hard to decipher post, my questions are a bit hidden so I'll make a list here.

1)I'm wondering though, if I blade a shot or completely chunk a shot will it show (my game's a bit rusty)? It's ok if it doesn't read the actual trajectory of the blade and just goes 50 yards on a normal trajectory, but if it goes the full distance I would be extremely disappointed. Could someone please elaborate on how severe miss hits like those show up?

2)Is there a max distance you can chip it like in Tiger?(I'm hoping you just get your 100yard sandwedge and hit it like a normal chip.)

3)How accurate does it feel? Does it travel as far as you would think it would go in real life? Same goes for putting (don't leave out anything!)

4)Playing a shot from a bunker, could I open my stance and make a large swing? Or would I be "forced" to play a normal chip shot but just hit it a bit harder.

5)Another important thing to me is the physics. How accurate are they? Looking at youtube videos the physics look a bit "sticky". Does it read backspin and topspin?

Thank you very much, if anyone could help me out that would be fantastic!

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Spikel.

Read through the posts here under Dancin Dogg. There are two and you will find what you are looking for and more. DD is a good sim but has limitations like many out there.

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    Spikel.

Read through the posts here under Dancin Dogg. There are two and you will find what you are looking for and more. DD is a good sim but has limitations like many out there.
    I read through most of the Optishot posts on here. The questions I asked were either not answered, or not answered with enough depth.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    The dd plays well as a swing analyser. It does show slower swing speeds with fat shots as the p3pro with resulting losss of distance. Thin shots do not register as such. You would need a launch angle measurement for that. Bunker shots are good but in my opinion it is IMPOSSIBLE to truly simulate a bunker. It doesn't read spin. Remember it is $400 and at that price it is great value.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    The dd plays well as a swing analyser. It does show slower swing speeds with fat shots as the p3pro with resulting losss of distance. Thin shots do not register as such. You would need a launch angle measurement for that. Bunker shots are good but in my opinion it is IMPOSSIBLE to truly simulate a bunker. It doesn't read spin. Remember it is $400 and at that price it is great value.
    Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I'm assuming that means I could open my club face and swing pretty hard at it? As long as I feel like I'm doing it and a good swing results in a good result then I'm fine. This does sound like a great value, and I think I'm going to start saving up.

Thanks a bunch!

No problem. Enjor the dd. I did.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Go in with the right expectations and the DD is a fantastic purchase. Yes, it has trouble with woods, and yes, thin shots don't come up as low/skulled shots. The fact is, it has pretty good accuracy with irons, and is a $400 device that lets you play golf at home anytime you want! When I first found out about it I was amazed you could get something like that for $400. Technology has come a long way in the past decade!

So, if you want pinpoint accuracy and accurate depiction of thin shots, etc., you need to save up for something in the next price bracket. If you want a reasonable simulated golf experience and feedback on swing path, face angle, club speed, etc., then the DD is great.

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    Go in with the right expectations and the DD is a fantastic purchase. Yes, it has trouble with woods, and yes, thin shots don't come up as low/skulled shots. The fact is, it has pretty good accuracy with irons, and is a $400 device that lets you play golf at home anytime you want! When I first found out about it I was amazed you could get something like that for $400. Technology has come a long way in the past decade!

So, if you want pinpoint accuracy and accurate depiction of thin shots, etc., you need to save up for something in the next price bracket. If you want a reasonable simulated golf experience and feedback on swing path, face angle, club speed, etc., then the DD is great.
    Yeah, this seems right for me. I'm not that good, I usually shoot low to mid 80s. I'm not your obsessed scratch golfer that wants feedback on every little thing. Just something to keep my swing in shape and to tell me if I hit a good or bad shot is fine with me. I don't get the opportunity to play much, so this seems like a good investment. I don't have much room though, so I'm guessing it's still great even without a projector screen. Also, I heard in some other posts that the putting is weird. What do people mean by this? Is it not very accurate with putting?

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with the putting considering it is a sim. I putt out all my shots and find it really helps me keep my putter square to the target. It also helps get a feel for your putts. You can play around with setting and different ball types to get the right touch. The next software update looks like it will have the moving lines like Tiger Woods games to better judge the roll of the greens. Personally, I like to turn the grid off for mroe realism.

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the putting considering it is a sim. I putt out all my shots and find it really helps me keep my putter square to the target. It also helps get a feel for your putts. You can play around with setting and different ball types to get the right touch. The next software update looks like it will have the moving lines like Tiger Woods games to better judge the roll of the greens. Personally, I like to turn the grid off for mroe realism.
    You can turn grids off? Awesome! Good to hear the putting is realistic, I'm definitely saving up now.

Thanks so much!

I think the putting is fine on the dd. It is the same as the p3pro. I do like the sensor putting pad better however the dd is good and will be improved with the green grid.

7 Iron Deverx is on a distinguished road
    I just want to thank you guy's for posting on these threads. I know that some of you have upgraded to nicer units but still take the time to answer questions about the DD. I am currently in the process of putting a unit together but will have to go with the DD for it's price point. I bought a 720p projector out of the classifieds for $30.00. The guy said it would over heat and shut down, found out the heat would make the cover expand or something and come loose. Little tape to hold it tight and it works great. Bought a touch screen monitor $90.00 out of classifieds hope this makes it easier than using a mouse. Still saving for the DD and a cage. Searching for good screen material right now and am going to make mat out of plywood and outdoor carpet. Once again just want to thank you guys for posting, I like reading all your comments and congrats on the upgraded units.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Deverx View Post
    I just want to thank you guy's for posting on these threads. I know that some of you have upgraded to nicer units but still take the time to answer questions about the DD. I am currently in the process of putting a unit together but will have to go with the DD for it's price point. I bought a 720p projector out of the classifieds for $30.00. The guy said it would over heat and shut down, found out the heat would make the cover expand or something and come loose. Little tape to hold it tight and it works great. Bought a touch screen monitor $90.00 out of classifieds hope this makes it easier than using a mouse. Still saving for the DD and a cage. Searching for good screen material right now and am going to make mat out of plywood and outdoor carpet. Once again just want to thank you guys for posting, I like reading all your comments and congrats on the upgraded units.

Good job with the projector. The cage can be made easily and cheap. Search on Ebay for the corner fittings you need. You can also find cheap nets on Ebay.

Seen a complete 10 x 10 x 10 cage on ebay for $235.00 seems like a pretty good deal even with the $56 dollar shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Deverx View Post
    I'm not upgrading until Bubba finds a simulator he is going to stay with!! That will be the "one"

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    That was a very nice post deverx - welcome to the forum! I may have upgraded, but I definitely enjoyed the DD. The first time I hooked it up and took a shot and saw it come up on-screen I was blown away. It was a blast, and the fact that you can play simulated golf at home for a reasonable price is pretty amazing to me still!

Thanks RDH. I will probably be alot like you guys and upgrade later on. I want to start out small and see if I use it enough to warrant an upgrade later. Don't want it to be like a hot tub or something like that, use a lot for a month and then just be a pain in the * to take care of later on.

Welcome Deverx. Your plan is perfect. As RDH said I was also blown away by the dd the first time I used it. It really is an amazing unit. Take your time and enjoy it. Onc again, welcome and enjoy.

Thanks Bubba22 and congrats on the new sim. It looks awesome. Do you think a heavy 12oz vinyl will work for a screen with real balls?

Not familiar with the 12 oz vinyl. If it is not heavy enough then you can double it up or add a sheet behind it.

Pitching Wedge Unkynd is on a distinguished road
    bubba, what was the upgrade path you followed? was it dd -> p3pro -> protee ?

you said you were blown away by the dd when you got it, how blown away were you by the improvements on each of the upgrades that you went through?

The cage I want to get has the extra inside net. If I attach to that should be fine don't you think?

dd -> P3pro -> Protee. The dd is a good unit and the initial start was just suprising that one could play golf at home. I want a sim with good accuracy and launch angle. That was the reason, as well as increasing the accuracy, that I upgraded. The upgrades have brought more sim options, courses etc. I still am blown away with each of the sims.

dd -> P3pro -> Protee. The dd is a good unit and the initial start was just suprising that one could play golf at home. I want a sim with good accuracy and launch angle. That was the reason, as well as increasing the accuracy, that I upgraded. The upgrades have brought more sim options, courses etc. I still am blown away with each of the sims.
    Alright, so obviously I'm having some second thoughts. How "off" is the accuracy on the DD because I've seen some reviews that completely slam it for being inaccurate. I also see reviews saying the opposite, so that makes it very confusing. Is it good enough that I'll be able to improve my game?

7 Iron tahosrfr is on a distinguished road
    My two cents: I have had the DD for about a month. I am pretty satisfied with the accuracy. Whether I thin it, fat it, or nut it, I can see and tell the difference. I have noticed improvement on the course after using this thing. If ur looking for launch angle than forget it. Personally if I'm being told my swing path and club face angle (club speed is a bonus) than I know where my ball is going to go. Right? As a newer golfer thats enuff for me. At this price nothing can touch it... nuff said. Now with all that being said, when my game seriously improves, (close to scratch) i might be looking to upgrade, but again that's serious bux hope this helps...

It depends on your definition of "accuracy". It also depends on why you are buying the simulator. if you are looking for perfect accuracy with some insight of what the ball is actually doing, then it is not accurate. It won't measure topped, thin, shank or even whiffed shots at that matter. In fact you don't even need a ball for it to show a perfect shot on the sim with a swing. If you are looking for a sim to give a good understanding of what your path, clubface and swing speed/tempo then it is very reasonable more so with the irons than the woods. Like most things in life it really comes down to how much you can afford. I did find the P3pro somewhat more accurate especially for the woods however the dd is certainly in the same league as the p3pro. Overall I would definitely recommend the dd but just bear in mind what is said above.

It depends on your definition of "accuracy". It also depends on why you are buying the simulator. if you are looking for perfect accuracy with some insight of what the ball is actually doing, then it is not accurate. It won't measure topped, thin, shank or even whiffed shots at that matter. In fact you don't even need a ball for it to show a perfect shot on the sim with a swing. If you are looking for a sim to give a good understanding of what your path, clubface and swing speed/tempo then it is very reasonable more so with the irons than the woods. Like most things in life it really comes down to how much you can afford. I did find the P3pro somewhat more accurate especially for the woods however the dd is certainly in the same league as the p3pro. Overall I would definitely recommend the dd but just bear in mind what is said above.
    Well, I'm convinced again.

Thanks!

I'll will add that if you're willing to tape your clubs, you will get the same accuracy as the P3pro. The folks at DD are not allowed to tell people this but we can.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    I'll will add that if you're willing to tape your clubs, you will get the same accuracy as the P3pro. The folks at DD are not allowed to tell people this but we can.
    Thanks, lawsuit issues I'm guessing? I'll google club taping, can't be too difficult.

Thanks again for all the help! DD is definitely the only one within my price range being a college student. I was just really making sure I wouldn't be throwing $400 down the drain.

Thread Information