CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lob Wedge doh is on a distinguished road

GC2 - Playing with both left handed and right handed players

I understand that one of the down-side to the GC2 is that if you are playing with another play who swings the other way, you are going to need to move the unit between shots. Has anyone done this with the GC2? Is it a real pain? Are there wires involved or is it wireless?

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    It would be really interesteing to see if anyone is doing this. I suspect it will be a really big pain. Here in Canada we probably have more lefties (probably because of hockey?) so it would be more of an issue. I have lots of buddies that are lefties that use the sim so that would be hard with the GC2. Any users doing this?

I am faced with that exact dilema. I swing right, while 6 year old son who just started golfing, is a leftie. The GC2 is attractive for me as it can be put away when not in use so it will just look like a home theatre (albeit with green carpeting).

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    I am not real familiar with the unit but, If you had two hitting mats and mounted the GC2 on a plate in between with say ball bearing indents to lock it in position might help. I imagine that the software is what controls the left or right. Then you just spin it into the lock for left or right. Am I on to a possibility or way off base?

Exactly doh. The problem will come when you have to go back and forth. Probably need to develop a platform for it to sit on that you can swivel around for the righties and lefties to use. Correct me if I am wrong but I think we see more lefties here in Canada so it may not be as much of an issue anywhere else.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Yeah...with a GC2, Phil and Tiger couldn't get together on Friday nights to play a round. I'm sure the lack of flexibility with a GC2 is all that's keeping them from being bossum buddies.

Need a Caddy TheGolfer is on a distinguished road
    my unit is arriving tomorrow. as you know i love the accuracy specs especially mesaured spin but the two primary users are righties so switching back and forth is not an issue with me. may install everything next week - contractor helping with install of enclosure, etc is a leftie and i am sure he will want to play a few rounds when setup so will find out.

When it arrives I can do a quick test by itself since it you can hit balls with just the unit and it has a display for all the ball measuresments (back spin, horizontal spin, speed, yards, offline, etc). Can test it back and forth. I would think moving backing and forth could get old. jagmanjoe has a clever idea.

I would be surprised at first if there is any software involved since it doesn't use club head characteristics to estimate spin, but not sure yet. i think it just captures the actual backspin, horizontal spin, speed, launch angle, path then projects that ball flight so not sure if the software cares if the club that caused that combination of variables was a lefty or righty.

suspect its just moving the unit so lefty and righty can swing. i know its easy to move the unit with minimal calibration. if you mark the spot where it should be in both locations then you can place it exactly on spot. still would imagine that could get old - seems the equivalent would be moving my radar device back and forth for each shot as each person takes a swing. the unit has a sensor that tells you when the ball is in the field of vision (green light) or not (red light). very easy. i moved the unit back and forth (not lefty/righty) and it had no problems.

if interested i will let you know how the unit behaves when switching back and forth.

That would be great TheGolfer. Looking forward to your first hand experience. Just tested and my 9'4" basement ceiling allows for a full swing with driver

Bogie Libbing is on a distinguished road Libbing's Avatar
    A less elegant but less difficult way might be just a basic wooden handle / platform (think of a basket without the sides - bottom and a handle). Unit sits on the base of the basket. Just lift and spin without having to hold the unit; bottom of the "basket" could just have a square piece of wood that fits into a notch on the platform. Lift spin and place. Wouldn't be as slick as the "Lazy Susan" idea with the bearings. But a simple saw and a few pieces of wood could get it done. Haven't stared at the device itself to understand whether that would get in the way of anything.

Those are all good ideas but I am not sure the width of my room will allow for the unit to sit In the middle and turn/swivel for left and right hitters.

very creative.

doesn't help without the left / right map, but as I think about it, with the right/left mat you could just buy a lazy susan at a kitchen shop and have a magnet (or just a bolt) on the bottom or side that would stick to another magnet when it gets in the correct position for each hitter. That's a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond and about $20! Might need to set the lazy susan down into the platform to get the height right? (not sure how flexible positioning is with the GC2)

without the room for a left / right station, I think you end up just needing to lift it and place it on on the other side each time without the setup getting really elaborate. I suppose you could have the entire hitting platform rotate, but there's a project beyond my table saw.

I wonder if the software allows one user to complete a hole before the other hits (at least that way you don't need to switch it every shot). With the lifting approach you'd have to deal with power cords unless you just always went off the battery (I assume it has the option of power cord or battery).

I may have to use the lift and place method given the space constraints, but also because I would like to use the Tru Strike dual mat. Does anyone know if the unit interfaces with the computer via USB cable or wirelessly?

5 Iron jagmanjoe is on a distinguished road
    Okay, since we are throwing ideas around - readily available for lift and place. Drill a hole through a wood plate and glue a short fat flathead screwdriver so it protrudes through the bottom. Then have two corresponding boards with a round hole and a slot at the bottom of the hole Worst case scenario, for building this drop a chisel or for that matter the screwdriver itself in the bottom round hole and hit it with a hammer a few times (not the most professional approach but we seem to be looking at quick, easy and inexpensive). That way the flathead screwdriver would only drop down into position if the unit were correctly lined up.

@ doh - i ordered with usb connection but it looks like it also comes with a wireless option also.

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    Honestly in the time you tell a sensor pad sim what club you are using, you can move the GC2 from left to right. It takes less than 3 seconds. Don't need to make it out to be harder than it is. Just move it to the other side and hit, then move it back. It's tiny and moves very easily...

But that doesn't allow us to invent something really elaborate!

Most people are using the voice command to select the clubs so it is not an issue. I heard that the ProTee are looking at developing a spin cam which will be great allowing both club and accurate ball data.

Asics
    Thought this was a GC2 thread. The maybe-someday-in-the-future ProTee spin cam has been speculated about many, many times, but don't see how that is relevant here.

Walb0034, If what you say is right, then that would be perfect for me. I was just worried that in simulator mode there may be wires involved and moving the camera sensor box around may not that easy. TheGolfer, did you get your unit up and running? Any issue with moving it around?

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    The GC2 can run on battery and also via bluetooth connection so you can eliminate all the wires and just move the unit around. Battery is supposed to last about 8 hours.

The wireless bluetooth is a great idea. Is there any delay with the wireless if playing sim golf or is it the same as when wired? Certainly having a wireless ability will make it much easier to move around if need be. As well you can take it to the range easily.

alsilver
    Asked that question to Rick at Foresight, delay is 600-800 milliseconds

That is awesome. Wireless bluetooth is a great idea.

Thanks for all the helpful input. Looks like I can continue to plan around the GC2 for my sim. I now have the basic plans designed. Now the hard part - getting the spousal "permit"

Good luck doh. Enjoy the GC2, it's a good one. Keep us posted.

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    I've used mine at the range three times this week going completely wireless. There's no noticeable delay. I also think the battery life is longer than advertised, because I know mine's been up for over 8 hours and the damn thing won't run out of battery lol (you are supposed to run it all the way down before charging it the first time).

The first time I had it out I had a decent crowd around me, and about 6 different guys just had to try it. It was pretty funny when they asked about cost and I told them it was $8500 for the unit and software. To your average guy who knows nothing about sims and their cost (both current and historical) I might as well have said $100,000. That's why I like it here, there's other crazy people like me who think $8500 is actually a good deal

alsilver
    I would like to demo the GC2 with a simulator in Eastern Pennsylvania or Northern/Central NJ area. Any suggestions?

5 Wood js1010 is on a distinguished road
    alsilver, I would call Foresight and ask them if there are golf stores near you have them so you can hit on the device. I have a golferswarehouse near me that has 5 of them in bays for people to try clubs with. I know they are working with GOlfsmsmith and also Roger Dunn stores to get the devices in there as well.

alsilver
    I've asked Foresight, no luck. Closest Golfsmith is 200 miles. Hard to believe there isn't someplace in the New York, Jersey or Philadelphia area.

Thread Information