CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Albatross goliath is on a distinguished road goliath's Avatar

Trying to decide on which club to join?

I am looking at joining a private club for this year and I am trying to make up my mind which place to join. My golf partners are falling like flies so joining a private club seems to be the way to go.

I would like to stay under 3000 everything included (food&beverage, taxes , and whatever other fee they charge for some reason)

Keep in mind I am 27 so I think the 3000$ limit should be more than possible.

So far I am leaning towards Camelot.
    I just don't know much about it. I heard the course is very very nice and challenging and hard to walk although not impossible.
    But is it worth it? I played many courses over 15 times last year and those were courses like casselview and nation and still wanted to play casselview so I think I could be satisfied with playing mostly 1 course all year especially if the course is as good as they say.

Most importantly I live less than 10 min from Camelot and that is a huge plus and I mean huge. I dont wanna be travelling to far from my house to play golf.

Other main option is club links.
    Grey hawk is about 20-25min max from my house so still ok distance to travel 2-3 times a week. Only problem is it will cost me over 3000 and I don't think I wanna pay that.

Other option is joining haute plaine which is cheaper and still having the option to play grey hawk and other club link courses very very often. I don't wanna have to go through downtown every week to go golfing.

I am sure many had this dicision to make at one point so looking for some imput.

Is camelot worth it? I heard their practice facility is great and that their clubhouse is amazing.

At this point because of location and cost camelot seems to be the way to go. Although I wont have the opportunity to play other courses like club links members.

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    Never played, but others I know have thought the course was amazing

If its available under 3000 (really?)... def worth considering, esp if you are close

another course you may want to consider is Outaouais, but not private
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    As a 27 year old, Greyhawk should be under 3000 for an intermediate membership. It's just over 3900 for a full one (including F&B).
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by brucestats View Post
    Never played, but others I know have thought the course was amazing

If its available under 3000 (really?)... def worth considering, esp if you are close

another course you may want to consider is Outaouais, but not private
    Ya weird I looked at outaouis but its 2500 plus tax ....I was surprised as well when I saw that.

I live just off tenth line in Orleans. Camelot is so close I can smell it.

I'm just wondering if its worth the trade off of going to Camelot instead of grey hawk. I would think that a place like camelot would offer a very unique club experience but I just don't know anybody that is a member there. And that club experience would make up for the reciprocal play that club links offers. I just don't travel that much with my work schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    As a 27 year old, Greyhawk should be under 3000 for an intermediate membership. It's just over 3900 for a full one (including F&B).
    I was told at the end of last year that 1st year members had to pay 10% of the grey hawk club fee up front which would make the club link and grey hawk course fee about 2800$ish + tax plus the bar tab.

I am still waiting for a reply from grey hawk as to the exact amount so don't take my word for it.

Is anybody a member at Camelot ? I would love to know what the club atmosphere and events are like. I haven't heard much of anything.

I am trying to make a decision in the next couple of weeks.

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    Is anybody a member at Camelot ? I would love to know what the club atmosphere and events are like. I haven't heard much of anything.

I am trying to make a decision in the next couple of weeks.
    im being charged the 27yr old rate at Hautes Plaines, $2300.00 all in no bar tab till 30yrs old, that includes my $450.00 yearly initiation fee broken down $5000.00 over 15yrs can walk away at anytime. Hautes Plaines is only 10 minutes from downtown, tough track, great clubhouse environment even if your not french, and you get to play Eagle Creek, Kanata Lakes whenever you want, believe me you'll get bored playing the same track over and over no matter how good it is. And if you ever go to Montreal or Toronto you get to play some amazing tracks at no charge. Clublink is the way to go my friend, cheaper then you think under 30.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I think ClubLink is the way to go.I never got tired of playing HP and the other courses are always in great shape. Wheter HP suits your game is up to you. Its not for everyone but, you get to play Le Talon,Predator wich are closer to you during the week and weekends you can scoot down to HP without traffic. The price seems attractive for a 27 year old and the athmosphere is very good.Camelot is a great track with arguably the nicest clubhouse in the area.Tough decision to make but either way you cant lose.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it's a tough call, I like the atmosphere of a single club and if it were the right one, I wouldn't get bored of playing it. Tough to argue with having multiple options in town, Le Maitre, Toronto courses, etc. and access to them.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Habitual poster adam is on a distinguished road adam's Avatar
    I am joining Rivermead this year as an Intermediate C (25 and younger) as it is a lot cheaper than Clublink for my age group.
    I would give Clublink some serious consideration though if the prices were closer.
    Even I've never heard of me

Quote Originally Posted by adam781 View Post
    I am joining Rivermead this year as an Intermediate C (25 and younger) as it is a lot cheaper than Clublink for my age group.
    I would give Clublink some serious consideration though if the prices were closer.
    if you don't mind me asking how much you pay taxes in and how old are you?

I am looking at joining a private club for this year and I am trying to make up my mind which place to join. My golf partners are falling like flies so joining a private club seems to be the way to go.

I would like to stay under 3000 everything included (food&beverage, taxes , and whatever other fee they charge for some reason)

Keep in mind I am 27 so I think the 3000$ limit should be more than possible.

So far I am leaning towards Camelot.
    I just don't know much about it. I heard the course is very very nice and challenging and hard to walk although not impossible.
    But is it worth it? I played many courses over 15 times last year and those were courses like casselview and nation and still wanted to play casselview so I think I could be satisfied with playing mostly 1 course all year especially if the course is as good as they say.

Most importantly I live less than 10 min from Camelot and that is a huge plus and I mean huge. I dont wanna be travelling to far from my house to play golf.

Other main option is club links.
    Grey hawk is about 20-25min max from my house so still ok distance to travel 2-3 times a week. Only problem is it will cost me over 3000 and I don't think I wanna pay that.

Other option is joining haute plaine which is cheaper and still having the option to play grey hawk and other club link courses very very often. I don't wanna have to go through downtown every week to go golfing.

I am sure many had this dicision to make at one point so looking for some imput.

Is camelot worth it? I heard their practice facility is great and that their clubhouse is amazing.

At this point because of location and cost camelot seems to be the way to go. Although I wont have the opportunity to play other courses like club links members.
    and by the way if u get off at vanier parkway and cut through Sandy hill, never took me more then 30min,to get to HP from hawthorn/walkley never any traffic on the 5, St Pat/king edward is only spot you lose 5-10min

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    if you don't mind me asking how much you pay taxes in and how old are you?
    I turn 24 this year. I have been given 11 years (amount of years before I turn 35 and become full member) to pay off the initiation of $2500+tax. That makes for $227.27+tax per year.
    The yearly dues for me this year are $1245(plus tax) which includes golf services fee and there is no bar minimum for my age category.

I am paying $1472.27+tax this year. I am not sure what the tax in Quebec on golf memberships is.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    it's a tough call, I like the atmosphere of a single club and if it were the right one, I wouldn't get bored of playing it. Tough to argue with having multiple options in town, Le Maitre, Toronto courses, etc. and access to them.
    The club atmosphere is certainly there at the Clublink courses. We had almost 450 participants for men's night last year and it is an excellent time. I have heard similar things from Kanata and HP.

The practice facility at Greyhawk is quite good, and having 2 courses to choose from means lots of opportunity to play. Add in the $5M clubhouse we got last year and it's a great place to play out of.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I turn 24 this year. I have been given 11 years (amount of years before I turn 35 and become full member) to pay off the initiation of $2500+tax. That makes for $227.27+tax per year.
    The yearly dues for me this year are $1245(plus tax) which includes golf services fee and there is no bar minimum for my age category.

I am paying $1472.27+tax this year. I am not sure what the tax in Quebec on golf memberships is.
    But you mention that is for 25 and under. What happens when you are over 25?
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    But you mention that is for 25 and under. What happens when you are over 25?
    For 25-30 my dues increase to $1620 from $1245 and I continue my payments on the $2500 initiation. If you join between 25 and 30 the initiation also goes up to $3500. Still a really great price for an intermediate membership.

I found that with all the private clubs I looked at (Royal Ottawa, Rideauview) the prices for under 30 year olds were pretty competitive. I played about 75 rounds last year with corporate golf and at $20 per round plus the $275 start up cost I spent 1700ish at least on green fees.
    I consider spending the same to get to play at a private course and use their practice facilities (as opposed to spending $10 on a bucket of balls at the range every now and then) and playing in members leagues and tournaments to be an awesome deal for young golfers who play a lot.

That being said it is also awesome for me that Rivermead is only 10-15 minutes away so I will be there at least 100 times this year.

I got a reply from grey hawk and it looks like they will be the winner.

Will cost me about 2450$ for the golf plus about 400ish for the food and drink tab. It will be just a bit cheaper for grey hawk then it would be to join Camelot. Haven't made up my mind 100% butpretty sure grey hawk and the advantage of playing many club links courses will be the winner.

It's gonna be a good season of golf. I hope it starts early again this year.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    good choice

Will cost me about 2450$ for the golf plus about 400ish for the food and drink tab. It will be just a bit cheaper for grey hawk then it would be to join Camelot. Haven't made up my mind 100% butpretty sure grey hawk and the advantage of playing many club links courses will be the winner.

You won't regret it. It's a great club, and as you mention, the benefits are outstanding. The first trip to Tremblant, the Muskokas, Montreal, or even out to Eagle Creek all add to it!
    Colby

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Talking

Great choice, I would choose Greyhawk as well if I had the cash.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Ya Club Link would definitely be on my radar if it was in my price range.
    I too hope for an early season start

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Ya Club Link would definitely be on my radar if it was in my price range.
    I too hope for an early season start
    uh, I think you'll be pretty happy with Rivermead.
    Andrew

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    uh, I think you'll be pretty happy with Rivermead.
    Minus the condition of the course (amazing), the layout of Rivermead left me rather unimpressed (except for the finishing hole). Over the years I have just heard so much about this course, but I left the course thinking...meh. Nothing really stood out to me as being a great track (at least as the hype would have you believe). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad course, it's just didn't wow me with a great layout.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Minus the condition of the course (amazing), the layout of Rivermead left me rather unimpressed (except for the finishing hole). Over the years I have just heard so much about this course, but I left the course thinking...meh. Nothing really stood out to me as being a great track (at least as the hype would have you believe). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a bad course, it's just didn't wow me with a great layout.
    You know the saying "different strokes for different folks!" Rivermead has four really challenging par 4's (#5, 7, 12, 18), two great par 3's (#8, 16), and a couple of strong par 5's (#6, 17). Hole #2 is fun because it is driveable for long hitters and #13 is a wonderful short par 4 hole. In my opinion, Ken Skodacek and Ken Venturi did a fantastic job when the course was renovated in 1989. I decided to join the course right after I played it for the first time several years ago. I never get tired of the layout or the excellent condition that Derrick and his staff keep the course in.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Welcome to Clublink! You won't be disappointed.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by albatrossman View Post
    You know the saying "different strokes for different folks!" Rivermead has four really challenging par 4's (#5, 7, 12, 18), two great par 3's (#8, 16), and a couple of strong par 5's (#6, 17). Hole #2 is fun because it is driveable for long hitters and #13 is a wonderful short par 4 hole. In my opinion, Ken Skodacek and Ken Venturi did a fantastic job when the course was renovated in 1989. I decided to join the course right after I played it for the first time several years ago. I never get tired of the layout or the excellent condition that Derrick and his staff keep the course in.
    You are exactly right. Glad you are enjoying the course. It is a really nice course, I guess I just expected to be blown away by it. I do have to admit though, the conditions are nothing short of stellar.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Sand Wedge RLAM is on a distinguished road
    Welcome to Greyhawk.

Message me if you want to get out for a round, I am 26yrs old new member as well

Pitching Wedge Bone is on a distinguished road Bone's Avatar

Clublink

Hey - I'm reading this and have a couple questions... I'm also relatively new to the city... 28... and have about a $2,750 budget tax-in for golf this summer. I'm just about to join Stonebridge for $2,360 (with the teeing off after 1pm restriction)... however...now that I read this, Hautes Plaines seems right up my alley if what you say below is true... I'm thinking the initiation dues must have gone up since you've joined, right? I'm seeing $6,500 as initiation dues, and me being 28, would therefore initiation would be $612 ($6,500 * 1.13tax / 12years) and the membership would be $1,848 * 1.13 = $2,088, totaling $2,700. My question is the website says food and beverage is $300/6 month period, so 2 periods is $600.... is it only Hautes Plaines that doesn't charge food and beverages as you said?? Also, I live very close to Greyhawk put that's over my $2,700 budget like all other clublink courses... so what stops me from joining Hautes Plaines but actually playing most of my rounds at Greyhawk? They must have something in place to stop this kind of situation??
    THanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    im being charged the 27yr old rate at Hautes Plaines, $2300.00 all in no bar tab till 30yrs old, that includes my $450.00 yearly initiation fee broken down $5000.00 over 15yrs can walk away at anytime. Hautes Plaines is only 10 minutes from downtown, tough track, great clubhouse environment even if your not french, and you get to play Eagle Creek, Kanata Lakes whenever you want, believe me you'll get bored playing the same track over and over no matter how good it is. And if you ever go to Montreal or Toronto you get to play some amazing tracks at no charge. Clublink is the way to go my friend, cheaper then you think under 30.

Pitching Wedge Bone is on a distinguished road Bone's Avatar
    Hey - quick question about how you got to this number? As a 27year old, i would assume your costs would have been calculated as follows per the clublink website:
    initiation dues - $8,250 *1.13tax / 13 years to pay off = $717
    membership - $1,941 *1.13tax = $2,193
    F&B period 1 = $320
    F&B period 2 = $320
    Total cost for 1 year = $3,550, well over your $3,000 budget?

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Hey - quick question about how you got to this number? As a 27year old, i would assume your costs would have been calculated as follows per the clublink website:
    initiation dues - $8,250 *1.13tax / 13 years to pay off = $717
    membership - $1,941 *1.13tax = $2,193
    F&B period 1 = $320
    F&B period 2 = $320
    Total cost for 1 year = $3,550, well over your $3,000 budget?
    There is always room for negotiation!

Thread Information