CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    8 Iron bubba827 is on a distinguished road

garage door opener

helppp guys my garage door opener has got to be raised up some.......can someone tell me if this is possible??

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    what's the problem? is it stuck? is there an automatic opener on it? a few more details please.

if its stuck and there is an auto door opener, then you will need to pull the red handle (that's what mine has -its from sears) and that will unlock the mechanism and allow it to open.

also, if you want to "lock" it from then inside and the opener is disengaged, just put a set of vice grips on the rail so the wheels can't move.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Putter dougw is on a distinguished road dougw's Avatar

Smile Garage Door Opener

Bubba827

If you are wanting to raise your garage door opener i believe the only way to do this properly is to change the tracks that the door runs on, the door tracks and the sprocket of the motor in the door opener must be parallel. You could possibly flip the opener upside down but you would have to reverse the motor operation and im not sure if there is enough tension on the chain to keep it on the sprocket or if the motor will run properly in that orientation. Flipping the opener would give you about another 10-12 inches clearence though.

Hope this helps.
    Smooth it out there!!!!

Putter indydh is on a distinguished road
    Bubba827,

You may want to look at another option, depending on your budget.

http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerwe...px?modelId=834

I got this jackshaft garage door opener which attaches to the torsion bar on the side, so it completely opens up your garage ceiling space. It's a heck of a lot quieter than my old garage door opener, but maybe that's because it was 27 years old. It cost me $500 USD to buy the new one and have it installed. If you're more mechanically inclined than I am (and that wouldn't take much) you could obviously save some bucks by installing it yourself.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba827 View Post
    helppp guys my garage door opener has got to be raised up some.......can someone tell me if this is possible??
    It may be easier to dig down........ although parking then would be a bit tricky...

How much more height are you needing to get? You might be able to extend the guide rails a bit and thus raise the main opener.

srry for the lack of info guys..but yes I am trying to hook up my DD sim and i have 3 walls to use and I will be dang gone if that blasted thing is in the way no matter which wall i try....I did some testing before i bought projector and screen and all the pieces to hook it up with but must have been drinkin the night i checked for cleareance purposes.......lol....I only need about 6 or 7 inches ........was wondering if I were to raise up the motor and then track bar if that would change the angle too much and put too much tension on my mounting bracket..............i called my local company and before i could get everything out of my mouth she said no there is no way to do it.....just asking here for advice on this matter....thx guys

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba827 View Post
    srry for the lack of info guys..but yes I am trying to hook up my DD sim and i have 3 walls to use and I will be dang gone if that blasted thing is in the way no matter which wall i try....I did some testing before i bought projector and screen and all the pieces to hook it up with but must have been drinkin the night i checked for cleareance purposes.......lol....I only need about 6 or 7 inches ........was wondering if I were to raise up the motor and then track bar if that would change the angle too much and put too much tension on my mounting bracket..............i called my local company and before i could get everything out of my mouth she said no there is no way to do it.....just asking here for advice on this matter....thx guys
    6 or 7 inches should be doable. At the risk of offending women all over the internet, you should call another installer and ask a guy that question.

Post some pictures of what you have to deal with.

I looked at mine and I can definitely raise it if I have to. On mine the arm(from the track) that attaches to the door can be extended.

Eagle SFR is on a distinguished road
    Just looked at my opener on my door and my bar is already at an angle and the bar attached to the door is on a piviot so in my case I don't think it would matter if the glide bar was raised up a bit higher. In my case the opener motor is already close too the ceiling. There is not a lot of weight pulling on that motor as most of it is on the spring load so as long as the bar that connects to the door is on a piviot I think you might be ok.

thanks guys i also have some extra space that I can extend the arm out some....I will try this hopefully in the next couple days and also will post some pics of before and after....thanks again guys

Oh almost forgot the reason I was asking this is a friend of mine also moved his garage opener up and he felt that because the angle of the arm changed that it put extra strain on his motor and the gears on it stripped out after about 1 month of use.....

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    I have a Chamberlin garage door opener with a belt drive. Would I be able to extend the motor another 4 feet, (which is the distance that comes with a standard section of the arm/rail that guides the pull mechanism? Can an extra length belt be obtained for this extension/modification?

Moving the motor head another 4 feet away from the garage door would provide an area for left handed players without having to switch the position of the simulator

Thanks.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Gap Wedge jackyl is on a distinguished road
    The term you are looking for is high lift garage door. That's the most useful link at a glance from Google, but there are probably more.

Bubba, your friend probably didn't adjust his torsion spring, so the opener did have to take up the extra lift.

Gap Wedge imanidiot is on a distinguished road
    I say forget left handed golfers...all they do is case me problems... Looking at you jacky!

whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa there now I am a lefty here also...............lol

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    You can have a "high lift kit" put in. You keep your current opener and door, but it raises the track up and adds new springs. I did this, I contacted a local garage door company to come do it. It raised the height of the garage door and tracks to 10 feet tall. The cost was $600 (here in New York anyways).

Thread Information