CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Energized Tiger aims for winning start

Much has changed for Tiger Woods since his private life spectacularly unraveled just over a year ago but his appetite for winning golf tournaments remains as sharp as ever.

More...

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    good for him, i wanna see more of what we saw @ Chevron, someone able to stand up to Tiger, abd I believe a few more of these young guys could do the same. The last decade as truly been amazing for golf fans, the next decade could be on another level with the talent coming up.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Its all good for the game, whether you like him or not.I wish him nothing but the best.

Hybrid TLB is on a distinguished road
    Did you folks watch the Tiger show on the 8th ? He hit his tee shot into a fairway bunker, close to the lip. On his second shot, out of the bunker, the ball hit the lip and dribbled into the left rough. So what does our outstanding professional do ? He slams his club over the lip and yells: "f**k ... f**k"

If anyone else does this, the commentators would be all over him. But in this case, they say nothing. Even after numerous replays - nothing. In fact, at the end of the round, they show it again and what does the Golf Channel say: "for those of you with stereo sound, sorry about that".

Why should the Golf Channel apologize for the totally inappropriate behavior of someone who is supposed to be a professional ?

Sorry Tiger fans, but this guy is garbage to me !
    Last edited by TLB; 01-27-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    Did you folks watch the Tiger show on the 8th ? He hit his tee shot into a fairway bunker, close to the lip. On his second shot, out of the bunker, the ball hit the lip and dribbled into the left rough. So what does our outstanding professional do ? He slams his club over the lip and yells: "f**k ... f**k"

If anyone else does this, the commentators would be all over him. But in this case, they say nothing. Even after numerous replays - nothing. In fact, at the end of the round, they show it again and what does the Golf Channel say: "for those of you with stereo sound, sorry about that".

Why should the Golf Channel apologize for the totally inappropriate behavior of someone who is supposed to be a professional ?

Sorry Tiger fans, but this guy is garbage to me !
    Damn stupid human! I wish he was more like a robot!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Damn stupid human! I wish he was more like a robot!
    No-one wants him to be a robot, just stop with the cry-baby antics when something goes wrong. Take the good with the bad, be a good sportsman, treat your fans like they are special to you and be the role model that you could be. He's on TV for almost every shot, if not every shot. Tiger knows that and it's a lot of pressure, however if he didn't want that he wouldn't be playing.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    He's fiercely competitive and gets mad at himself for hitting a bad/stupid/wayward shot whatever the case may be. I disagree with you all and have no problem with him swearing and getting mad. Many of the people who do not is because they don't care enough as they know they'll still make millions without winning. And then there are those who just handle it in a different way.

He is held to such a high standard its just not fair IMO he is human after all.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    He's fiercely competitive and gets mad at himself for hitting a bad/stupid/wayward shot whatever the case may be. I disagree with you all and have no problem with him swearing and getting mad. Many of the people who do not is because they don't care enough as they know they'll still make millions without winning. And then there are those who just handle it in a different way.

He is held to such a high standard its just not fair IMO he is human after all.
    OK, let's put it this way. Have you ever played with a golfer who acts like that when they have a couple of bad shots in a row? There's been times when I've had several bad shots in a row, sometimes in competition and I am about as competative as you can get (I am banned from playing certain board games at home), and I am not swearing and slamming my club on the ground. I've played with people like that in the past, and no surprise, I no longer play with them.

Human or not, he is the #1 role model for all golfers, young and old. His skill level and PR machine has placed him there. With that comes certain responsibilities, in my honest opinion, to act according to the best golf ettiquite that he can. People out there emulate his clothes (some wear the same sort of outfits he is wearing when they go and watch the rounds) I'm not looking forward to a next generation of club-slamming, swearing golfers.

Maybe Tiger needs a potty-mouth jar where everytime he slams his club on the ground or swears, he has to give money to Phil. That may make him stop
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    I seem to remember Charles Shwartzel burying his wedge deep in the ground and scream F**K last weekend at Abu Dhabi when missing a wedge from 93 yards or so and no one seems to be talking about that or Poulter swearing on TV during the same tourney.....hmmm wonder why people are talking about this one.......oh thats right its only important when Tiger does it, forgot, makes sense now!!!

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I wish he did it more just to irritate everyone who seems to think it's the end of the world. I think the lure and the hatred for Tiger are one in the same, he's just there to win and that's it. Those of us who enjoy watching competitive greatness, we don't care what he does, the others who think Tiger owes the fans and owes them something, will continue to attack everything he does. He's not going to be winning any People's choice awards of Humanitarian of the year awards, but I don't think he cares.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoganWoods View Post
    He's not going to be winning any People's choice awards of Humanitarian of the year awards, but I don't think he cares.
    You are correct in that.

The thing is some people do care. Tiger's ex-sponsors seem to care what those people think even if Tiger does not.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gropper View Post
    I seem to remember Charles Shwartzel burying his wedge deep in the ground and scream F**K last weekend at Abu Dhabi when missing a wedge from 93 yards or so and no one seems to be talking about that or Poulter swearing on TV during the same tourney.....hmmm wonder why people are talking about this one.......oh thats right its only important when Tiger does it, forgot, makes sense now!!!
    You are wrong about that, at least from my point of view. I didn't see those incidents as I seldom watch golf anymore because of crap like that. I can remember when Frank Likletter (sp?) slammed his driver down and was just as disgusted with his actions, as were the announcers at the time.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by HoganWoods View Post
    I wish he did it more just to irritate everyone who seems to think it's the end of the world. I think the lure and the hatred for Tiger are one in the same, he's just there to win and that's it. Those of us who enjoy watching competitive greatness, we don't care what he does, the others who think Tiger owes the fans and owes them something, will continue to attack everything he does. He's not going to be winning any People's choice awards of Humanitarian of the year awards, but I don't think he cares.
    The only reason that we feel that Tiger owes his fans something is because that was set up by his PR machine. Making Tiger the next coming and selling corporate sponsorships along the way. I don't hate Tiger, I respect his game, just not the person. I saw behind the curtain long before his fall from grace, and my feelings have not changed. If he wants to be the Dennis Rodman of golf, he should go for it, at least he would be a little more honest.
    Colby

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    You are wrong about that, at least from my point of view. I didn't see those incidents as I seldom watch golf anymore because of crap like that. I can remember when Frank Likletter (sp?) slammed his driver down and was just as disgusted with his actions, as were the announcers at the time.
    The European announcers didnt have a bad thing to say other then "he's not please" or something along those lines and they reshowed him doing it!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Talk about beating a dead horse. When will this discussion get old? There's 9 or 10 members on this board who are outspokenly non-tiger fans for whatever their reasons are and we hear the same things from them every year it's hilarious!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Talk about beating a dead horse. When will this discussion get old? There's 9 or 10 members on this board who are outspokenly non-tiger fans for whatever their reasons are and we hear the same things from them every year it's hilarious!!
    Shouldn't you be off changing a diaper or something instead of
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    No-one wants him to be a robot, just stop with the cry-baby antics when something goes wrong. Take the good with the bad, be a good sportsman, treat your fans like they are special to you and be the role model that you could be. He's on TV for almost every shot, if not every shot. Tiger knows that and it's a lot of pressure, however if he didn't want that he wouldn't be playing.
    From playing quite a few sports competitively, from my perspective I can't understand this view. It's not being a cry-baby; he's reacting naturally to a situation under a lot of stress and pressure. I don't mind it because it shows he cares.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    And across the pond in Bahrain, where the European Tour is playing this week, co-leader Miguel Angel Jiminez threw his putter at his bag and it snapped into 2 pieces (with 4 holes remaining).

Playing partner Colin Montgomerie jokes about it two holes later in front of the cameras. In a post-round interview, playing partner Darren Clarke and Jiminez are laughing and joking about it, together, as was the interviewer.

Were it Tiger, one can only wonder the huffing and puffing that would ensue. There is definitely a double standard, and to argue that it exists because of "Tiger's PR machine" is taking the easy way out.

Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    From playing quite a few sports competitively, from my perspective I can't understand this view. It's not being a cry-baby; he's reacting naturally to a situation under a lot of stress and pressure. I don't mind it because it shows he cares.
    Golf is a different sport. Ettiquite is a major part of the game. In no other sport do you call penalties on yourself. To compare golf to hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball, football, or almost any other sport can't be done.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    And across the pond in Bahrain, where the European Tour is playing this week, co-leader Miguel Angel Jiminez threw his putter at his bag and it snapped into 2 pieces (with 4 holes remaining).

Playing partner Colin Montgomerie jokes about it two holes later in front of the cameras. In a post-round interview, playing partner Darren Clarke and Jiminez are laughing and joking about it, together, as was the interviewer.

Were it Tiger, one can only wonder the huffing and puffing that would ensue. There is definitely a double standard, and to argue that it exists because of "Tiger's PR machine" is taking the easy way out.
    You've missed my point. I don't like it when any of them do it. And Tiger will do it several times per round. Not all to that extent, however it is magnified because of the TV coverage that he gets.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    As long as Tiger is around, the debate will continue. Just keep laughing as I do everytime Tiger loses...
    Colby

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    You've missed my point. I don't like it when any of them do it. And Tiger will do it several times per round. Not all to that extent, however it is magnified because of the TV coverage that he gets.
    He deserves less... we saw more of Tiger yesterday playing like any other players in the field, in fact worst, than Fredrik Jacobson who is, should I mention, in contention...

Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar
    Golf is a different sport. Ettiquite is a major part of the game. In no other sport do you call penalties on yourself. To compare golf to hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball, football, or almost any other sport can't be done.
    The pressure of playing in front of millions of viewers is no different. I respect tradition more than most, but Tiger isn't the first great player to have a temper. I'm not saying you have to like it, but don't expect to make him change. Also, not to be a dick but there are quite a few sports you call your own penalties and golf seems to be making a transition in rulings right now where outside agencies are increasingly calling them on players as well.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bNeill View Post
    He's reacting naturally to a situation under a lot of stress and pressure. I don't mind it because it shows he cares.
    In watching the golf over the 4 days, I saw a lot of missed shots, including Johottan Vegas dumping the ball in the water on 18, and I don't recall him or anyone else smashing the club on the ground and screaming the "F" work. If Vegas had a reason to be upset he did, but he didn't erupt. Getting angry over a bad shot IS understandable, but a sign of maturity is what you do with the anger.

Caring in not the issue. All golfers care about their golf games, but not all golfers act like a 2 year old who doesn't get her way. The real problem is that Tiger does NOT care a hoot about the image that he is creating.

Having said that, Tiger is actually helping his peers in that an emotional reaction to a bad shot reinforces that bad shot and ensures that it will likely be repeated.

3 Wood fourlights is on a distinguished road fourlights's Avatar
    I wish there was a moratorium on this topic. Forever.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlights View Post
    I wish there was a moratorium on this topic. Forever.
    There is. Five years after Tiger retires. 2017

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    When Tiger pretends to be a good guy, people say he's fake and is only doing it for his image and endorsements. When Tiger doesn't care about image and whines and curses like a brat, people say he should care about image because he is supposed to be a role model. So he can't win.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    When Tiger pretends to be a good guy, people say he's fake and is only doing it for his image and endorsements. When Tiger doesn't care about image and whines and curses like a brat, people say he should care about image because he is supposed to be a role model. So he can't win.
    thats why he cant win
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    Having said that, Tiger is actually helping his peers in that an emotional reaction to a bad shot reinforces that bad shot and ensures that it will likely be repeated.
    I don't think he got your memo, last time I checked he's got 14 major championships and over the last 15 years has been the best in the world at scraping together a good round when he's playing badly.

Also note that he's not the only one dropping F-bombs and getting angry after shots, he's just always watched by the networks so we see it everytime he does.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I can't believe there are any apologists for Tiger Woods anymore. Enjoy his golf for sure (I do), but hasn't it been conclusively proven at this point that he's an ass? "He's so competitive", "He gets more coverage than other people who do the same thing", "He's held to a higher standard"...as if. I've been tournaments and seen other pros throw clubs around and act like jerks. You know what, they're asses too! If you played with some schmo who was throwing clubs, sulking and swearing all the time, he'd be out of your foursome, it's just not pleasant.

Thread Information