100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sand Wedge purgasoj is on a distinguished road

My optishot/simulator build/cost help tutorial (long)

I want to first thank the many members on here for advice and help building my basement simulator. It is not perfect - with time I will def. upgrade the screen from Cory and the projector as well- but I am up and running and that is what matters most!! Here is my experience with buying, building and trying to save $ on the way.

First thing you need to do is go to optishot support and see if your computer can run the optishot program, which is pretty graphics intense. Go here: http://support.dancindogg.com/faq#faq0.0
    On that page- download the furmark tool- install- and run it at 800x600- which is the setting I use- and is the minimum you would want if you are using a projector. This also gives a 4x3 image on the screen- which fits better for me.
    If that works on your computer- great and lucky you so you dont have to upgrade anything on it. If it doesnt run- look at the minimum system requirements and go from there. I had to upgrade my graphics card- I went up to a 1mb AGP (older computer) for $100 and added another 1GB of DDR ram for $60 to bring my computer to 3GB total. I went a bit over- just to have the program run fast and smooth, and in case I want to eventually upgrade to a better projector in the future.
    I went with the cheapest option on screen- I bought a painters tarp that is canvas cloth like material. Got it at home depot- just buy the size you want- I went with the heavier ounceage for the part I hit into- lighter oz. for the side "curtain". They were around $25-30 each at home depot. I bought a grommet kit to put them up- and some hooks to secure them to the ceiling of the unfinished part. That was about $10 total. I do not hit real balls into them- i use foam balls that are pretty firm- very good feel- similiar to a real ball cause they compress just enough and have a bit of weight to them. Brush-T golf balls are great- http://www.brusht.com/products/story_32.php $5 for 4 balls.
    If you want to get a high quality screen and use real golf balls and want it quieter on impact- then you can buy an impact screen. They are pretty expensive- but pure white- instead of the beige of a painter tarp. They can run from $190. for economy- to $1300. This place is the best to order from- great service and awesome guy runs the store-(Cory who posts here is awesome-going strictly on his help and advice to many others including myself) http://par2pro.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_23_35&osCsid=f9ee97848a39f40746 45b671ed3ad432

Ok Part 2 of Simulator Buyers Guide:
    Now on to the Simulator itself: The Optishot that I have is retail $400.00. I got lucky and got one from Dicks sporting goods when they sent me an email for 20% off any one item in the store. I was actually considering getting the optishot- pulled the trigger to get it at that price. I havent seen it on sale since- though Cory's store I think has it there for a bit off now. The optishot is the most basic of simulators to help your swing. It is actually part simulator/part video game. It does show you swing speed- club face angle and swing path. The graphics and gaming features rival $1000+ simulators- but you do not get launch angle or spin rate that some of these $1000-25,000 simulators have. I personnally wanted it for a fun way to keep my golf swing in shape during the winter- and to have some fun with friends in the basement with some beers. It has successfully given me both. Here is a pretty good review of it : http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=12120

It does mention some glitches- which are attributible to the software and also bad lighting. Apparently they are working on some better graphics and improving the software and they plan to roll that out soon. It is being demo'd at the PGA show now.
    As for the lighting- You need to have an overhead CFL light that does not cast shadows on your sensor pad. It was easy to do in my unfinished basement- but some people have trouble with putting the light directly overhead- or letting outside sunlight in (garage setting). Something to consider. CFL light- $5. if you are keeping tally
    Here is a link to par2pro who sells a few diff. simulators: http://par2pro.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_26

Next up is the projector. This - like the simulator- is a big range in price. This one is a bit easier because you can use Ebay like I did. First you have to figure out how much light you are going to have in your room. If the room is dark like my basement- you get get away with a projector with less ANSI lumens (or brightness). If you are using it in a garage- you will want to get as much lumens as u can afford. Cost from new 720p is around 500+. If you want to have the best of the best 1080p- then it will run you 1000+. I started here at this buyers guide : http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_buyers_guide_6.htm
    Then I looked for projectors that met my criteria at stores like Tigerdirect, Amazon etc.- and then did a search at that same website for the projector to see the reviews to match them with reviews at that store. Then I would also check and see if I could get the projector used on Ebay at a good price less than new retail. Last- I searched on ebay to see how much a bulb would cost for the projectors I was interested in. Eventually your bulb could go out- and cost of those bulbs range from 150-300 on Ebay.
    I recommend checking the native resolution and making sure it is at least Native 800x600. I found one used in great shape for $165 and saw replacement bulbs in case I needed were available for around $150- and the resolution was 720p. I had to buy a long VGA cable to connect to my computer- bought at monoprice for $25. I also bought a universal ceiling mount for the projector for $30 from monoprice as well.
    I am a PE teacher and I had some golf mats I got awhile back from a golf course here in Maryland. I bought them cheap cause they replaced theirs. I think I spent 25 each for them- if you are lucky you can get that deal- otherwise a 4x5ft. stance mat is about $100 each. You need one for the optishot to keep your optishot from sliding and moving. It is essential to be lined up properly when using the optishot or your swing path and face angle will be messed up. I took one of the 4x5 golf mats and used a utility knife to cut out a rectangle the same size of the optishot sensor. Now it stays in place when I swing.
    So you take all this and add it up. Here is what I spent- again looking at my guide- you may have to spend more (or less if you have the computer with the right specs).
    Video card upgrade: $100
    Memory Ram upgrade: $ 60
    Tarp for impact screen $30
    Tarp for side $30
    Hooks and grommet kid $10
    Optishot $400
    Projector $165
    VGA cable- $25
    Ceiling Mount $30
    Balls $5
    Stance Mat $25
    2 stance mats for front of screen $50
    Total cost of it all: $900
    I am thinking that $900 is about right for about the cheapest you can spend and have a decent enough project. Could be more if you need more computer parts/ or even a new computer- could be less if you have a projector and computer already. Ask me any more questions if you need any more help. -
    Jeff

couple of pics

pics of the optishot in basement
    Attached Images

Putter Twombomber is on a distinguished road
    Very nice breakdown of everything. Thanks for the pics also. I wasn't sure about using the off-white painter's tarp, but your projector shows up real well on there. Haven't bought the DD yet because they are out of stock everywhere--but they are supposed to start shipping end of this week. I definitely will use some of the things you have in your setup.

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    I used a painter's tarp hitting real golf balls and broke through the seams on two tarps. I have now switched to a HQ impact screen material that I purchased from Cory at Par2Pro. I sewed it to final dimensions and put grommets in myself. I have also cut back on the fabric tension by backing off the bungee chord tension at the grommet connection point.

The painter's tarp will accept the projection of the image quite nicely. The pure white HQ impact material has a slightly better image reception quality, but not by much. What made me switch was the durability quality of the fabric should be improved with the HQ impact screen material over the painter's tarp fabric plus there are no seams on my HQ impact screen.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    You can't go wrong with the hq screen from Par2pro. Highly recommended.

Putter bnite6 is on a distinguished road

golf room simulator

I like the look and I did the same thing. I had the luxury of having a 10 x 26 room and used the same concept ---
    Optishot ---$350
    Projector ---$135
    Muslim Fabric --- $150
    Tarp and hooks from Home Depot --- $90
    Balls --- $5
    SKLZ Rip and Grip Velcro --- $50
    Total --- $780

Framed the room with Black Muslim Fabric and white fabric for the screen. Then used hanging hooks and curtain clips to make the fabric tight around the entire room. A lot cheaper than trying to have the room finished. Please provide comments. I would like to know what I could do to improve the design. Thanks.

Here are the photos from my simulation ---
    Attached Images

Putter Twombomber is on a distinguished road
    BNite, very nice setup. What kind of projector and where did you get it for $135? Are you going to mount on the ceiling? Wish I had ceilings high enough to play indoors. I have to set up in the garage but would greatly prefer to have a projector, seems to greatly enhance the experience.

Golf simulation room

Got it off of Ebay. NEC 470. I thought about moving but that would cost me a couple more bucks. Still may be in the works. May be worth it in the future.

Seems very nice bnite6. Its hard to see your complete setup but it seems good. You obviously have a mat setup. What is your impact screen? Are you hitting real or limited flight balls? What things do you want improving in?

The black Muslim fabric makes the room hard to visualize but got it how I wanted it I think. For the impact screen I am using a regular tarp and two layers of white Muslim fabric. The first covers the tarp and the other frames the front wall. I am hitting the SKLZ rip and grip fuzzy ballad that stick the training aid along with foam balls right now. I use the room for training more than anything (muscle memory). The projector was moved to the floor and I like that look better. The weather is still cold in dc so more practice for me. I think the optishot is a good tool and the distance traveled is a little in question, but my swing is only going 60 - 75 mph as I am working on tempo and accuracy. Overall I am happy with the setup and this will be the last purchase for awhile.
    Last edited by bnite6; 02-25-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: grammar

Well it sounds like you have it perfect for your means. That is all that is important. Enjoy.

Sand Wedge Singlin is on a distinguished road Singlin's Avatar
    Thank God other people are like me!
    I own a small 12 bedroom Hotel in the Italian alps and my wife does still not know that I have knocked down a dividing wall between 2 garages to make room for my Golf Simulator. I work on the principle of bypassing the wife on these types of projects as she does not see the immediate benefit of such projects. Once she see clients hitting balls onto the screen and booking to coming back for more she will change her tune.
    I still can't decide between the P3ProSwing and the Golftek ST1 though.
    I can't afford a high end system as the wife will give me the classic choice of either selling my Hangglider,Paraglider and Rc gliders ( I am a pro skier so she can't touch thoes-thank god)to get the high end simulator or nothing.
    This is why the low end sim is an option I can getaway with.
    I hope you can understand-lol
    Ciao
    Simon
    www.lesrochers.com
    Last edited by Singlin; 02-25-2011 at 08:49 AM.

First of all, BGC (Big Giant Coconuts) to you by not telling the wife you have knocked a wall down in the house to accomodate golfing. i am sure I would be divorced by the first piece of plaster hits the ground. Second, I know the P3P is about $999 and not sure of the Golftek. If you have the $$$ to invest, I believe that any extra amenities to a business (especially if you are near a golf course), only adds to the value and if I brought my clubs (which I usually do on any vacation) and could practice, that would be classic. If you want people to practice and get a simple idea of how they are hitting the ball, then I would go with the optishot. the pictures on my earlier post show a decent system (also the first post has a great concept as well). $399 and then the extra fabric and accessories (the mat I constructed myself and the projector I got off of ebay for $135 dollars, used but works very well) came out to $800 dollars.

Golf Simulator questions

Gents,

I like to continue looking for new ideas. I am not keen on the tape for the P3P, but the golftek seems good as well. continuing the search for the ultimate (or course if you had the $$$ you could make it as real as possible. Any new tech coming on the market?

Props

By the way,

Props to purgasoj for his design. I took his idea and made it to my liking. .

Singlin it depends on the expectations of your clients. Certainly the st1 is a better unit than the P3pro/DD. If your clients are just happy to play any golf then just get the dd/p3pro. If they are expecting a very accurate system then neither are perfect. If you plan on doing some teaching then either may be good however given the variable driver issues with the DD, I would recommend the P3pro. Overall however there is no doubt that the St1 is a better unit.

Singlin, by the way, very nice hotel in the alps.

Bubba22, thanks for the information. What do you think about the SKLZ training aid with the balls that stick to the velcro?

I like it bnite6. Where did you get it? I like SKLZ products.

I went to the SKLZ website. I got the first one at Dick's sporting goods and love the training aid for $20.00. In my stupidity moment, i used a real ball against the aid and cracked it. Once cracked, it was all over but my crying. I had been searching for another and bought off the company website for $50.00.

Putter svgolf12 is on a distinguished road
    Have you ever tried hitting real golf balls into the fabric that you bought? I am currently looking get a simulator in the basement and want a fabric or something besides the expensive impact screens that I can both project onto and hit real golf balls into. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Thanks

Thanks Bnite- I got all my ideas from others- mostly in the 600 page DD thread I have hit real balls into my painters tarp- but as many have said- it wouldnt last too long doing that. You could put a net up- then have the tarp behind it, making sure the net is tight enough to absorb most of the speed of the ball. It will make ur image not as nice- but it is also probably your cheapest route if you want to hit real balls. Like many have said- a nice foam ball like the almost golf ball is a nice comprimise

I have yet to hit real balls into the fabric. I believe that the Muslim fabric would not hold up to the constant barrage. I will test over the weekend and hopefully the fabric will be on sale again 50%. The velcro type balls I use work well. The foam balls work, but they aren't as realistic. The Muslim Fabric is cheap and works well for projection. What are the dimensions that you are working with? The wall two Muslim fabrics (white) and a tarp behind it. In fact, I will try tonight and see what happens. Will have to do it fast because I work late and kid gets to bed around 8:30 pm. They say taht Cordura is a good fabric as well. What are the dimensions of your basement?

Putter LittleLadynR is on a distinguished road

need some input

Quote Originally Posted by fhann View Post
    I used a painter's tarp hitting real golf balls and broke through the seams on two tarps. I have now switched to a HQ impact screen material that I purchased from Cory at Par2Pro. I sewed it to final dimensions and put grommets in myself. I have also cut back on the fabric tension by backing off the bungee chord tension at the grommet connection point.

The painter's tarp will accept the projection of the image quite nicely. The pure white HQ impact material has a slightly better image reception quality, but not by much. What made me switch was the durability quality of the fabric should be improved with the HQ impact screen material over the painter's tarp fabric plus there are no seams on my HQ impact screen.

Can u please tell me if you used a regular sewing machine on the impact screen? Did you fold it twice before you sewed it? Also when you put in the grommets did you use a hand held punch?

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    The sewing machine was a high quality machine used in a seamstress shop. The material was folded twice, the first fold was sewn, and then a second fold was sewn. The material was essentially double layered around the perimeter where the grommets were installed. The material can be sewn using a conventional Singer sewing machine, nothing special is really required of the sewing machine because the fabric is not difficult to work with.

I used a hand held punch that was supplied with the grommet kit that I purchased at Home Hardware.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Putter DDUNN is on a distinguished road

Optishot measurements!

I am new here and would like to start off by saying hi to everyone and what a great site this is.
    Can someone help me out here! I am getting the Optishot for Xmas and would like to get the exact measurements of the hitting mat. Length, Width and Height. I want to build one to go around it so it fits like a glove and it won't move. Thanks!

I suggest reading the full dancing dogg original thread as well as the dancin dogg only thread. All the info that you want will be there. Here is the size from the Dancin Dogg only thread http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthre...ly-quot/page24

Measurements!

Thanks bubba22. The info was all there and I am starting to work on it.

No problem. Good luck and enjoy the dd.

Yeah once it is setup it should be fun. Can you tell me what kind of fluorescent lights to use, how many Watts should it be?

Thread Information