CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Definition -"Ground Under Repair is any part of the course so marked by the Committee..."
    New definition - "Ground Under Repair is any part of the course so determined by the player.

Would this not completely undermine the basic principle of golf, "The ball shall be played as it lies.." and lead to more subjectivity and more advantage gained?

In the course of 100 games, how many sand filled divots would actually affect one's play? Many golfers believe that hitting the perfect drive or even one in the fairway, should result in a perfect lie. This is a fallacy. We obviously "get what we get."

A good golf swing requires a downward angle of attack striking the ball first, whether from fairway turf, fairway bunker or sand filled divot. If you hit the ball "fat" by 1 inch, it is open to debate as to which one would have the more severe consequences.
    Which is also a joke since the vast majority of courses I play never define gur unless there is a bulldozer on the course.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I said "filled divot". Not the same thing. A filled divot is in the process of being repaired.
    I know they aren't the same thing, but for it to be considered GUR doesn't it have to be marked as such? That wouldn't really be feasible. Even if it doesn't need to be marked I think a 'filled divot' could also be open to a wide range of intepretation.

I do agree with the sentiment, and I'll always play out of any divot I land in, but I won't like it.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Which is also a joke since the vast majority of courses I play never define gur unless there is a bulldozer on the course.
    Certainly a very valid point. Club's that have members and club tournaments and who have an active committee increase the chance of proper markings, but those that are public are probably less concerned, if at all, about the relief for GUR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I wasn't really suggesting a change was needed but trying to find an example of your premise for the thread. Piping a drive to the perfect landing area and finding yourself in a sea of repaired divots kinda sucks. Laying in a sand filled divot is not a "penalty", but I thought the situation worthy of note since the player did everything right.
    I understand.

My one concern about landing in a divot that is not sand filled centres around a player swinging firmly down on the ball, not knowing what the ground is like underneath. Hard clay or perhaps even rocks, puts the player in potential danger. Of course, the ball could be declared unplayable.

Other "unfair" rules centre around the action of one partner that negatively affects the other. In checking the rules on Four Ball and Foursomes play, Rules 29 and 30, one can find a host of actions by one that will affect the other.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    As long as we're talking about divots, what about landing in the fairway only to find a big chunk of mud on your ball? Haven't seen any courses, outside of a tournament, declaring lift-cleand-and-place on rainy days. Can a golfer arbitrarily declare that on his own?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I agree with you on both points.

Given your propensity for always hitting it in the fairway, I can't imagine that you'd have much opportunity to produce quality shots from less than ideal lies!

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Excellent post BC.

People seem to forget that while there may be any number of "well struck" shots, and "ideal swings" during the course of a round, the only "perfect" shots are the ones that end up at the bottom of the cup. For myself at least, golf is not so much about the shots I make from ideal conditions, it's about the quality of the shots I can produce from the less-than-ideal ones.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    my pet peeve...pros have people that look for their balls. It would seem if the rules were fair for all, that this would not be possible - just you, your caddy and fellow competitors and their caddies. I don't have marshalls sitting out in the rough, fescue, along the forest looking for my balls when I hit them there.
    The rules, like life, are not designed to be fair. They are intended to treat similar situations in a similar way.

If you were playing with the pros then the situation would be similar and you would get similar treatment.

But you, Joe Soap and I just have to get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruskie View Post
    As long as we're talking about divots, what about landing in the fairway only to find a big chunk of mud on your ball? Haven't seen any courses, outside of a tournament, declaring lift-cleand-and-place on rainy days. Can a golfer arbitrarily declare that on his own?
    Unfortunately, (or fortunately) not.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    The rules, like life, are not designed to be fair. They are intended to treat similar situations in a similar way.

If you were playing with the pros then the situation would be similar and you would get similar treatment.

But you, Joe Soap and I just have to get on with it.
    Right but we were talking about unfair rules
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    If one is wedded to the existing rules so that their consequences are deemed to be fair, then unfairness is never an issue and there is very little to talk about.

Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    In a match, what seems fair to you is unfair to me.
    You hit your ball behind a fixed distance marker just off the fairway. Your npr + 1cl puts you on the fairway. Hmm.

Unfortunate or careless are perhaps better words to describe a situation that you are in and don't like. And if you like it, fortunate or lucky.

Sand Wedge wagolfpro is on a distinguished road
    "Right but we were talking about unfair rules"

JeffC, you are right, we are talking about unfair rules. But there is no rule related to your specific comments that is any different for you or the pros. There just happens to be folks around when they play. Have you ever shown another player where his ball is because you saw him hit it off line, maybe near your fairway? I know I've been helped that way, and vice versa. Just friendly golf for us, but an Easter egg hunt for PGA fans! Same thing though.

Thread Information