100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie 4ems is on a distinguished road

Bending a driver head

I'm looking to have my Titleist 905R 10.5* bent open by about 2*. Looking to achieve a lower loft and eliminate a draw-biased flight. Does anyone know of a clubmaker who can do this? There isn't anyone in my area equipped to do this. Thanks.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ems View Post
    I'm looking to have my Titleist 905R 10.5* bent open by about 2*. Looking to achieve a lower loft and eliminate a draw-biased flight. Does anyone know of a clubmaker who can do this? There isn't anyone in my area equipped to do this. Thanks.

You probably won't find anyone around here who would be able to do it as well. It's a very delicate procedure to which, from what I hear, the guys that work on the Tour vans can only do because most Tour issued products have a longer hosel which facilitates bending of woods/hybrids.

You should just buy a R11 or 910.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

1 Iron infinity13 is on a distinguished road infinity13's Avatar
    Not sure this would do what you want but I saw a piece in the golfworks catalogue that when installed allows you to adjust driver properities like the R9 etc. Something to look into anyways, as i am not sure of the particulars of that component, anyone correct me if I am wrong.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity13 View Post
    Not sure this would do what you want but I saw a piece in the golfworks catalogue that when installed allows you to adjust driver properities like the R9 etc. Something to look into anyways, as i am not sure of the particulars of that component, anyone correct me if I am wrong.
    You're correct but not sure that would work on a bore through design unless a fake plug was installed. I have installed one in one of my club and they do work. You can set it up neutral or 2 degrees open or closed.

You probably won't find anyone around here who would be able to do it as well. It's a very delicate procedure to which, from what I hear, the guys that work on the Tour vans can only do because most Tour issued products have a longer hosel which facilitates bending of woods/hybrids.
    Golfworks has the bending machine to do so but if it breaks you own it.
    http://golfworks.com/images/art/MA2019.pdf

**Special Notes: Not all drivers are made of the same materials. Some materials are more easily bent than others. Some designs may have
    a different material in the face that is welded to the body. The only sure way to determine whether a driver can be bent is to try it.
    Generally, 6-4 titanium (the most common material used) can be bent 1 degree. Shorter hosel designs may not be bendable and drivers
    with no hosels can not be adjusted. Depending on the heat treatment of the material and the length of the hosel, some may be bent more
    than 1 degree and some may not be bendable at all. Again, the only sure way to know for sure is to put the club in the machine and apply
    pressure. You should be able to tell right away if the club is bendable or not. Using old clubs and practicing is a great way to develop the
    feel required to accurately and properly bend irons.

Special note: On hybrids, fairway woods and drivers, you can not adjust the loft
    without affecting the face angle of the club. When adding loft to a wood or hybrid design, the face angle
    will close 1° for every degree the club is bent. The affect will be to increase the “effective loft” or loft at
    impact by 1°. When decreasing the loft, the face angle will open 1° for every degree the club is bent. The
    affect will be to decrease the “effective loft” or loft at impact by 1°.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information