CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road

need insight on choosing a GPS

leaning for the callaway upro of 2010. about 250$ at golftown right now but, i dont want to get screwed if there are hidden fees on downloads and the like.

to be honest, i will probably use it on the courses i usually play, i dont travel much, so i would figure about 10 different courses.

i like the satelite views alot more then graphics...guess its why im leaning towards this model.

i want something that you can also move the pin-target on the green to be more precise.

i'd like to be able to see how long i hit each shot as well.

i dont need something to punch in stats and the like.

could you guys give me the heads up on GPS'S?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw View Post
    leaning for the callaway upro of 2010. about 250$ at golftown right now but, i dont want to get screwed if there are hidden fees on downloads and the like.

to be honest, i will probably use it on the courses i usually play, i dont travel much, so i would figure about 10 different courses.

i like the satelite views alot more then graphics...guess its why im leaning towards this model.

i want something that you can also move the pin-target on the green to be more precise.

i'd like to be able to see how long i hit each shot as well.

i dont need something to punch in stats and the like.

could you guys give me the heads up on GPS'S?
    i just bought one on ebay from etail.com for $173 CND inlcuding shipping

took alook at others but with no membership fees and MOST courses in ottawa listed it was good buy

i beleive pro mode on upro is a cost per course so if you only play 10 regular course then buy the 10 pack and your set to go (all basic modes are front middle back of green plus all the hazards
    i have buddies who have skycaddie but with memebrship
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Sand Wedge karupt411 is on a distinguished road
    i'm also looking for one that will keep detailed stats, where I miss, GIRs, putts, saves, etc. haven't looked too hard but would appreciate any input.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    i just bought one on ebay from etail.com for $173 CND inlcuding shipping

took alook at others but with no membership fees and MOST courses in ottawa listed it was good buy

i beleive pro mode on upro is a cost per course so if you only play 10 regular course then buy the 10 pack and your set to go (all basic modes are front middle back of green plus all the hazards
    i have buddies who have skycaddie but with memebrship
    steve, how much is the 10 pack or a per course purchase?

is there a list of courses somewhere?
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

http://coursefinder.uprogps.com/

150 course for $180 $1.20 per course
    50 for $120 $2.40 a course
    20 for $80 $4 per course
    10 for $60 $6 per course
    5 for $40 $8 each
    or 1 for $10

i'll most likekly just get a 20 pack and get all my most often used courses inPro mode and the rest in basic mode

jeff i emailed you a list of course i looked up as of january 7th

thanks steve, I found it as well, pretty good coverage of courses - almost all of them minus any very new ones or ones that have had changes (equinelle, gatineau, greensmere of note). I'd imagine they'd get these done sooner than later....

this is very tempting....but it is the off-season, I am bored, and in severe withdrawal.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I really like my SkyCaddie...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    I really like my SkyCaddie...
    did u compare the two?

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    No Jeff I didn't... it looks like a really nice unit, but I am quite happy with SC...battery life is awesome, precise, connects to the satellite easily and last year I really enjoyed Club SG...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Not at all familiar with GPS but my buddy uses his iphone
    http://gps.about.com/od/sportsandfit...f_GPS_Apps.htm
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chambokl View Post
    No Jeff I didn't... it looks like a really nice unit, but I am quite happy with SC...battery life is awesome, precise, connects to the satellite easily and last year I really enjoyed Club SG...
    a couple opf my buddies also bought the SC sgx model (i think) and it looks pretty good too and they really like them. But then there is the mebership fees not to mention the price difference

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I have a uPro and don't have a problem with it. Just make sure the courses that you play most often are available. I originally just used the Pro mode, however I have found that the basic mode is just as useful as I believe they still give you the green view and the yardages. You just don't get to move the cursor.

They also have an update to keep stats and score for your round for those of you that are looking for that feature. I find their customer service exceptional as well. I had some difficulty with setting mine up and they were very helpful getting the issue solved.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    I looked at them all last year and settled on the Skycaddie. Haven't looked back. But, as you have already indicated, it depends on your use.

I played over 40 different courses last year. All but two were available for download for me. I also take it with me when I travel on golf (oooops, I meant business) trips...lol! Thus, I've used it in several states and provinces.

You also have to like what your looking at - just like golf clubs. For me, I don't want the satellite - but I do like several view displays depending on what course or style of hole I'm playing.

The main thing is to get what suits what you need now and in the forseeable future!
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Sand Wedge wagolfpro is on a distinguished road
    For accuracy, I think the SkyCaddie is still best,because they do all their measurements on the ground. Most are using sat photos and measuring from there. I have seen SkyCaddie at my course after we did our remodel, and I've seen them at other courses too. Don't think anyone else does it that way, so they have the accuracy advantage. I got a free Golflogix for being in their infomercial, but then I bought the SC...it's a better unit.
    For Karupt411: If you have a smart phone, look at the Golflogix app. With it, you can use all their data input on your own web page at their site, and it is a GREAT tool for tracking all of your stats. I built a spreadsheet a few years ago, but their site is awesome for it. You can also use their app as a gps, but from what I have seen, it eats up battery life really quickly.
    My solution is: a yardage book or gps for hole layout, a good rangefinder for measuring exact distances, and the Golflogix site for tracking my stats.

Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road

gps

Be careful with the coloured one cause when it's sunny they are pretty hard to see the holes on it. I have the golflogix which I bought on ebay for under 100.00 & worked great but with no display of hole just the yardage & hazard. Black screen are the way to go.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slash View Post
    Be careful with the coloured one cause when it's sunny they are pretty hard to see the holes on it. I have the golflogix which I bought on ebay for under 100.00 & worked great but with no display of hole just the yardage & hazard. Black screen are the way to go.
    I have no problem seeing my uPro in the sun...

Need a Caddy slash is on a distinguished road

gps

I've got 2 of my friends that have the upro & looking at them in the sun is a problem. Anyone that I play with who have coloured gps seems to be battling to look at the info.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    http://www.golfsmith.com/products/30...er_Rangefinder

I was looking at this but maybe in a couple years. I ended up picking up the Izzo during boxing week for 25 dollars and that will do me just fine for the next year or so

Putter GolfFans88 is on a distinguished road GolfFans88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karupt411 View Post
    i'm also looking for one that will keep detailed stats, where I miss, GIRs, putts, saves, etc. haven't looked too hard but would appreciate any input.
    Ever thought of using one of those Apps in iPhone or Droid, the price is cheaper and don't have to carry so many things.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    I bought a used Golfbuddy Tour and it's great. No fees at all and I have never had any trouble with the yardages it gives.
    Seems pretty good to me but having said that, the "new" cost is pretty high still.
    Before the GB tour, I had the bushnell (igolf) neo and that is a great little unit too.
    I do keep thinking about buying a laser rangefinder though.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I just renewed the basic membership on my SkyCaddie SG2.5 I love it. And like Chambokl said, the ClubSG website is great for stat tracking. It cost me $35 for another year. I have golf buddies with the SG5 and the SGX, and they are nice, but I am very happy with the features on my unit. You get your yardages quickly, and you can be confident they are accurate. You can set it to measure the distances of your shots, fairways hit, which side, missed, GIR # of putts, tons of stats... you can even get it to tell you what holes you get your strokes on. Once you're used to it, you can keep track of a lot of stats in just a few seconds after each hole.
    I've also found it VERY helpful at the end of a tournament round when I have to sign a scorecard, I can double check the handwritten card with my skycaddie scorecard in a few seconds to make sure I don't sign incorrectly.
    Its also really fun to see the scores and stats of other skycaddie users who played the same course on the same day as you.
    Andrew

Just bought a new App thought you all like to know - GolfSites on the iPhone. This one does something, GPS devices or some other Apps I researched does not. It can track my shots. So if I play well on a hole, I can share that with my friends. I think this is pretty cool. I will be seriously using this one on Thursday and will share with you how this turns out.

I went on the course this morning with this App. First I need to add my club set to this App. This is not apparent until the point you enter your score.

I had downloaded my course (Brookside) the night before so I can try run this App first. Brookside is in a valley and don't have good signal for my iPhone so I want to make sure I have the course.

Turns out even when there's no signal, the GPS runs just fine, maps all there. Potentially great because if I go on vacation, I don't have to worry about roaming data charges on my phone bill.

This App uses a strange way to enter score, it's like the shape of the course. So when I hit a ball, I press Tee button, then it will ask me which club I use, I picked the driver. Then my second shot in hole 1 is on the left rough, I press the left rough button and then it ask me which club i use. So everytime I hit a ball, I press 2 buttons. It's quite easy as you get the hang of it. First few times a bit distracting and forgotten to press buttons. But after a while it's simple. The press of buttons marks my location apparently.

After the round, I saved my round and when I go to review it. Wow! I see my ball path outlined in green and blue. Maybe not all is accurate, as they did not show shots in some cases, I suppose it's too small to be viewed on the iPhone. But overall, it's a great way to review the game.

The rest of the features are pretty much like all other features I have seen on the App store.

Believe me, I checked a lot of them.

By the way, I charged my iPhone before I go on the course and end up using 50% of the battery. I do use the sleep button quite a bit too.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar
    I'm using the Iphone Golflogix application with the upgrade to Champions membres with the promotion at 20$ a year .

Used it yesterday and love it.

Gives you everything you need. You can keep your scores , save your rounds , enter bets with friends, stats and lot more.

Also over 25,000 courses around the world available at no extra fees.

One word: great
    Chip

5 Wood nd2golf is on a distinguished road nd2golf's Avatar
    I have been using a SC SG5 for the past few years and it is great. I have travelled quite a bit with it and I have never had a problem. I haven't played a course yet that wasn't available for download. As far as accuracy, I would take a SC over any other GPS unit as noted above, SC is the only one that walks the course. I have played with other guys who have upro, golfbuddy, golflgoix, you name it and I have seen upwards of 10-13 yards difference in measurements between the units. I randomly check mine against the RCGA markers and the SC is always within 1 yard of the marker.

The downside is the annual membership price and I am struggling with that currently myself as I am really thinking about getting a laser. I play in Canada and the U.S. so I have to get the Double Eagle plan which is $65 U.S. for the year. But then again, many of us don't think twice about dropping $50 on a dozen Pro V's. At $.05 a day the membership really isn't that big of a deal (...maybe I will keep both) HA.

Well, One thing I like about GolfSites, of course because I bought it, is that it has a ball path tracking. So I review my round and see where I hit my shots. The best part is, I can even e-mail that to my buddies to show off.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    When i was checking for a GPS yesterday i noticed that there is a new Upro (the mx) coming in the next couple of weeks with new features and a per bundle cost (looks like the Skycaddie plan). Amazon in the US has them at a pre-release price of $199.

Here is a web site that rates all golf GPS units..... I was surprised....

http://criticalgolf.com/golf-gps-reviews/
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Check this Utube video on the new Upro MX......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgCLofvF9s
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Thread Information