CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Andy24

line drives with the PW

Ok guys/girls, here is the problem I am having:

Recently I have been hitting line drives with my PW, and that is NOT what I use it for!!! I want to LOB the ball onto the green. I have the same problem with my 9 iron. Now, what I have noticed is how I address the ball. When I use the pitching wedge, I usually hit it in the middle of my stance (same with 9 iron) and when I hit it, I feel the bottom of the pitching wedge hit the ball, not the clubface itself. Could this be where I go wrong? Maybe I should place the ball back further in my stance?

Sand Wedge kordic is on a distinguished road
    I am by no means a golf instructor but I would be inclined to think that maybe you are thinking about getting the ball up too much and are getting flippy with your short shots and might be getting the club head ahead of your hands and blading it. Middle of your stance is fine but make sure your hands are ahead of the clubhead at impact.

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    There are lots of possibles. One thing I notice with a beginner I'm "helping" (always urging him to take lessons) is that he cant grasp the notion that if you swing DOWN on the ball, it goes up in the air. He keeps trying to lift it into the air, and as a result, tops it.

First, try practicing on ground, not a mat. Mat's are deceiving. Second, notice where your divots are: they should be just AFTER the ball, not before. No divots? Not a problem, but when you swing, do you ever touch the ground or grass? You should see it touching somewhere after the ball. Go out to the range, and without shame, drive down into that ball so that your PW chunks into the ground just after the ball. The ball should fly up in the air. This technique is also useful practice for when you're in deep rough and need to hit the ball first.

My next suggestion: if you are doing a 20-50 yard PW shot, it is NOT uncommon to have the ball farther in your stance. A full swing, middle is fine, but finesse shots, try practicing with your feet a bit together, and the ball closer to the back foot. It encourages ball contact first. Its not for everyone, so find what works for you.

PW are finesse clubs. Get used to more controlled swings, less power. That also encourages consistent strikes.

Just my 2 cents.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Both Kordic and golfmania are on the money. Golf is a game of opposites. A player must hit down on the ball to make it spin resulting in a nice high shot. Most amateur try to pick the ball of the ground to help it in the air resulting in thin or skulled shots.

The best drill is to stick a tee in the ground three inches in front of the ball. Take a PW and hit the ball but your divot must take the tee that is tree inches in front of the ball, out of the ground. This will make you hit down and through the ball. Eventually you will see your ball dance on the green.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Andru
    Andy

When you sole the PW. The club naturally sits with the handle ahead of the clubhead. This is exactly how you should strike the ball. he hands ahead of the club head. it feels completely wrong, but it the way the club is designed to be used.

Hit down on the ball as mberube has said. There's mounds of info here. Just keep it simple start with your hands ahead of the club head and keep them there. You'll naturally strike down and the ball will fly high.

Have fun.

Putter jimbowally is on a distinguished road
    The thing I concentrate of when I'm hitting my wedge (which is also my favorite club in the bag) is to hit the back of the ball and then make the divot after contact.

In your case, you simply might just be picking up your head or not swinging down enough, or trying to hit the ball to hard. Let the loft do the work. I normally play a wedge in the middle of my stance. So I would just try to swing a little easier and concentrate on hitting the back of the ball and letting the loft do the work.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy24
    Ok guys/girls, here is the problem I am having:

Recently I have been hitting line drives with my PW, and that is NOT what I use it for!!! I want to LOB the ball onto the green. I have the same problem with my 9 iron. Now, what I have noticed is how I address the ball. When I use the pitching wedge, I usually hit it in the middle of my stance (same with 9 iron) and when I hit it, I feel the bottom of the pitching wedge hit the ball, not the clubface itself. Could this be where I go wrong? Maybe I should place the ball back further in my stance?
    If you are LOBBING the ball to the green then your swing should be long, slow and smooth. If there is an aggressive HIT at the ball, then fat or thin shots result. It sounds like, because you have missed some of these shots, that you have become increasingly anxious about the results. Anxiety is an affliction that we all suffer from, at times, but it can be handled.

After addressing the ball and taking the club back a little, you should notice that the right wrist is bent backwards while the left wrist is flat. Now, ALL you have to do is keep the wrists in this same relative position until the swing is finished. You cannot do this unless you hit down on the ball. I know others have said this but it is just fundamental in your journey to improvement.

One drill will help you on your way. It is simple, but very difficult to do initially. Grip the club with you right hand only. Place the butt of the club about 3" from your forearm. In this position the hand and grip are now in front of the ball. Take a very short swing, not more than having the club shaft parallel to the ground. As you come through SLOWLY you must keep that 3" gap between your forearm and the butt of the club. It is like you push forward with the inside of your forearm. Literally, everyone to whom I have suggested this drill, flips the right wrist so that the left wrist is bent and the right is flat. Bad news! Keep the right wrist bent, hold the finish with the gap in place, and you will be amazed at the improvement of your chip and pitch/lob shots. BTW: Hit down on the ball.

Thread Information