CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar

Golf Acheiver II arrived today

I purchased a used Golf Achiever II which arrived today. I have a 9 hole simulation course that came with the package and the visuals are stunning. I am looking into obtaining some more courses from Focaltron, maker of the Golf Achiever II. They have packages available that can be used for 3 months, that are quite economical. Their graphics are really, really nice. I compared the videos of Pebble Beach and St. Andrews that are available on Optishot to Golf Achiever II and the GA II courses are have better definition. I am trying to get the simulator up and running again after I change out the ripped painter's drop cloth with a new HQ impact screen from Cory. I have to sew/hem the sides and install grommets, so I will be a working on that this weekend. I will give a review of the GA II when I am up and running and get all of the bugs worked out. There are always new things to learn on new software/hardware so I want to get proficient enough to provide a decent review.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Awesome fhann. Await your reviews. Sounds really nice thus far. I believe the Golfacheiver uses the same Simway software as the Optishot however from what I have seen the Golfacheiver's course rendering was more impressive. I don't believe there are any Golfacheiver users on the board so it sounds good and we await your review.

9 Iron Dave W is on a distinguished road
    Just called them for the hell of it. Basic kit with screen and net software 11,500.

Do it yourself with the laser pad and 3 course software 7 k.

Dave

Oh they are not cheap Dave. I looked at the golfacheiver last year. I think it is a good sim but they are pricey. Await your reviews.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Check out the white paper. It shows the measurable accuracy and then the software enhanced accuracy.

Also talked about how other sensor technologies such, as shadow, are practically inaccurate.

Can't wait for the review.

I can imagine the same laser technology but bigger, where the lasers are above you. You could then hit from any surface and from anywhere.

What do you mean "white paper" ZMax?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    What do you mean "white paper" ZMax?
    Specifications:

http://www.golfachiever.com/Web/Tech...hite_paper.pdf

Cool.

Lob Wedge TheFonz is on a distinguished road
    Never heard of the GA before before today. After checking it out I definitely like what I see! I look forward to your review and total experience with this setup.

A few basic questions for you to start... What package did you get and what are the costs? How was the your transaction experience/ order process been with the company?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    I can imagine the same laser technology but bigger, where the lasers are above you. You could then hit from any surface and from anywhere.

Now you're talking about the Full Swing Golf Simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Now you're talking about the Full Swing Golf Simulator.
    I thought they use IR ball sensors on the walls?

Full swing does use ir reflectors on the walls. Looking forward to the reviews on the GA sim. I don't think anyone on the board has reviewed it yet.

The biggest concerns with the Golfacheiver has been reliability (I heard they tend to breakdown easy), accuracy (especially with spin), no left right ability, rubber tee's that need to be used and finally the cost. Some of these issues may not be true so I really am looking forward to the review.

I thought they use IR ball sensors on the walls?

Ah yes they do use IR. 2 IR web arrays, but not sure how many sensors per panel. I should have been more specific... I meant the method/idea was the same. I would guess laser tech is superior/more precise than the IR system. Seeing that FSG uses the same technology today that was on their first system in the mid-80s. Not to mention their IR system still only works via ISA slot on a computer... lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheFonz View Post
    Never heard of the GA before before today. After checking it out I definitely like what I see! I look forward to your review and total experience with this setup.

A few basic questions for you to start... What package did you get and what are the costs? How was the your transaction experience/ order process been with the company?

Thanks in advance!
    I purchased a used machine. The basic SIM package for the used machine is $1295 and includes Focaltron doing a SIM hardware conversion and placing a new 1 year guarantee for the refurbished machine. I have the Basic SIM package and am looking at getting a 3 course package that is available for a 3 month term for 279.

The company representative's have been very, very good to work with. I think that Focaltron is a well run business with very good customer service.

I got the new impact screen sewn up and installed. The GA II simulator/launch monitor has been fully calibrated and I will be using and evaluating it more fully tomorrow.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Quote Originally Posted by fhann View Post
    I purchased a used machine. The basic SIM package for the used machine is $1295 and includes Focaltron doing a SIM hardware conversion and placing a new 1 year guarantee for the refurbished machine. I have the Basic SIM package and am looking at getting a 3 course package that is available for a 3 month term for 279.

The company representative's have been very, very good to work with. I think that Focaltron is a well run business with very good customer service.

I got the new impact screen sewn up and installed. The GA II simulator/launch monitor has been fully calibrated and I will be using and evaluating it more fully tomorrow.
    Wow! $1300 for a ues machine is a lot cheaper than new. Did you buy that from them? If it's from them, why such a big discount? How are the courses if you wanted to own them?

As for the HQ screen, let us know if any light passes through it.

So are you renting the courses for 3 months? Can you just buy them?

Wow! $1300 for a ues machine is a lot cheaper than new. Did you buy that from them? If it's from them, why such a big discount? How are the courses if you wanted to own them?

As for the HQ screen, let us know if any light passes through it.
    The $1300 is a conversion price only to go from my used launch monitor system and upgrade it to get a simulator and launch monitor system. The SIM system requires a USB dongle for copyright protection. Focaltron also changes the motherboard on the launch monitor when you send it in to them for the hardware upgrade to a SIM system. I bought my GA II launch monitor used from another clubfitting company for a very, very good price. One can normally expect to pay around 1500 to 2000 for a used launch monitor. Then, the SIM hardware upgrade would be on top of that price, and the machine needs to be shipped back to Focaltron for the upgrade.

The HQ screen was much lighter and much brighter white than I had anticipated. It does let some light through and is better when backed up with the previous material that I had as an impact screen. I had used a painter's drop sheet as my original impact screen but it could not withstand impact loads near the horizontal seam. Bubba22 has posted that he backed his new HQ screen up with his previous impact screen to reduce light passing through, and I recommend doing so too.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    So are you renting the courses for 3 months? Can you just buy them?
    You can buy them but they were too expensive an outlay for me at this time. This makes good economic sense for me right now because of cash flow, plus indoor simulators are seasonal, and will only have another 2-3 months duration before outdoor golf season starts again.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Good point fhann about the courses. Glad you like the hq screen. How are the courses and sim playing thus far?

I had spent a long day getting the screen sewn together, installing grommets and rehanging the new impact screen today. I did not use the simulator other than to shine it on the new impact screen because I was getting too tired. I will be putting the GA II through its paces tomorrow and will comment on the realism of shots/play and the courses after giving it a good workout.

Bubba22 - were you at first concerned about the durability of the HQ fabric when you first received it? I am, and would really like your assessment since you have had it a while now. My ball bounce back is around 3 feet with a 7 iron. Do you think that the tension is too high? I tried to get all of the folds/sags out of the installation so that I would have a very nice presentation screen for projecting images on to it. I don't like to see distortion of the projected image because of sagging. I am worried that I might get premature failure of the fabric if I have the tension too high. I have the archery netting backing up the screens and is in full contact with the back of the screens.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

I had spent a long day getting the screen sewn together, installing grommets and rehanging the new impact screen today. I did not use the simulator other than to shine it on the new impact screen because I was getting too tired. I will be putting the GA II through its paces tomorrow and will comment on the realism of shots/play and the courses after giving it a good workout.

Looking forward to it. Could you also post screen shots of the swing analysis screen?

Sounds like you got a really great deal. Good job.

Gotcha fhann. Been there. Take your time and let us know tommorrow how it goes.

Looking forward to it. Could you also post screen shots of the swing analysis screen?

Sounds like you got a really great deal. Good job.
    I take it that you want to check the numbers and validate them with some trajectory software programs?
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

I take it that you want to check the numbers and validate them with some trajectory software programs?
    Yes, and also from experiences on the real course.

Hey Frank,

How's the GA II coming along? Give us some details.

It's pretty good. I am pleased with the accuracy and realism of the software and graphics. I have one client that has been taking a lot of fat swings and keeps knocking the laser out of alignment on the post. That's happened three times in his 4 - 1 hour sessions. I am pretty good at realigning but I have to take the unit down to my shop where I have a large tabletop surface to work on. It's much easier than struggling with it on the garage floor. It takes me about 5 to 10 minutes to get the machine down, realigned and then repositioned. I am waiting for him to come again tomorrow and hopefully I have the sensors buttoned down better that they won't move when he starts really hitting a lot of fat shots.

It is a little bit scary watching him, and I might switch him off of the GA II and onto the Vector Pro with a simulation software from Tod Koss at Optimal Flight, (www.qualitygolfstats.com). That might mean another outlay for the software upgrade to get the range simulator that operates seamlessly in real time with many of the current launch monitors available today.

I have been using the GA II and am impressed that I can make some noticeable swing improvements to overcome some hooking tendencies. Swing path and face angle measurements plus launch angle are accurate in my opinion. I find that the spin rate may be a little too high, but that metric is less important than accuracy on the first two items plus ball speed/club head speed.

Give me a little more time to get some screen captures, I need to research how to do that again.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Glad to hear that you like it.

Taking a screen shot is easy. Just press the "Print Screen" button on the keyboard. Then go into Paint(in accessories) and paste. Save as .jpg

Does the mat have any give? Or is it firm?

ZMax:

Thanks for the tip on screen capture. That refreshes my memory.

The mat is a two part system. There is a molded base that is a heavy rubberized material with ball trays molded into the base on each side of the tee location. There is a green turf mat that is approximately 18 inches wide by 30 inches long that sits in the middle molded recess. The turf is pretty similar to a Fibrebuilt product. The total thickness of the 2 part mat is approximately 1.7 inches. It is just about as firm as a Fibrebuilt mat and more firm than a Real Feel mat.

It appears to have worn very well, with a small wear pattern about the size of a silver dollar just beyond the hole for inserting rubber tees. The amount of wear is insignificant for hitting golf shots but is visible to the eye.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Thread Information