CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy jmr73 is on a distinguished road jmr73's Avatar

Clublink - In GTA

I am heading to Toronto next week (Oct. 6-9) and plan on playing 2-3 rounds at some of the Clublink courses. I know there are some members on this site (Colby,MrBerube, LongBallHitter, GuyInOttawa, ???) and was wondering if anyone of you had any recommendations.

I'll be around the North-East part of the city so I will most likely want to play that way. I was thinking of going to Diamondback, Emerald Hills, National Pines (if I have the time as it is a little further).

I know there are/were renovations going on at Emerald Hills but I don't know if that would impact play there.

Have any of you played the following courses and would you suggest playing any of them over my choices above.

- King's Riding
    - Cherry Downs
    - Caledon Woods
    - Highland Gate
    - Station Creek

- King Valley (won't be playing it as I would have to pay a fee... just wondering if any of you have played it... I'll get out there next season)
    - GlenCairn would be on the list as well but I don't want to go that far west

- any other courses that way?

Thanks for your feedback.

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    I played Emerald Hills 3 years ago before the renovations started. A very nice course with lots of mature trees and narrow fairways. You must keep the ball in play at all times. Greens are very good and quite fast (think Hautes Plaines - Le Dome)

I played King's Riding the day after Emerald Hills. King's Riding is a nice course but it is more wide open. It's similar to Le Maitre. It has a lot of good hard holes but it also has one very Micky Mouse hole: 100yd downhill par 3!!! Other than that, it's a very nice course

I've never played any other courses from your list but I played RattleSnake last year before it went Prestige. I played both courses and they're simply amazing. The best Clublink golf I played until I played Fontainebleau this year.

From talking to members, I wouldn't recommed Diamondback. A lot of members say it's one of the worst (if not the worst) Clublink course.

National Pines is a very good choice. I heard nothing but raving reviews about the course

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the feedback LBH. Maybe I will bump Diamondback down the list. I'll have to get out and play RattleSnake Point on a reciprocal play day next season.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I heard some good things about Diamondback and Emerald Hills. unfortunately I haven't ventured down there to play any yet.

Sorry I couldn't help.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Andru
    Diamond Back is a good course. There's a few silly holes but overall it's pretty good. The greens were freaking fast and hard as a table top.

Play it full length and you'll have some fun. Play it from the short tees and it's pretty ho-hum.

Cheers

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll let you know how everything goes.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Played & loved National Pines (before CLublink). I would some kinds of tweaking to justify the purchase...

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    I would some kinds of tweaking to justify the purchase...
    Huh? Are you Yoda?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I played 3 rounds in two days. Weather turned out to be perfect. I stayed in Markham and there were 4-5 courses within 20 minutes.

Emerald Hills - great course although a few rough spots and the greens were aerated

DiamondBack - nice course, wide open with a few challenging holes, great conditions

Cherry Downs - very nice layout and a challenging course, good conditions, fastest greens I have ever played, impossible to stick a ball on the green, older course and the clubhouse was not as nice as the other courses.

Wish I would have had more time to play a few other courses. I look forward to heading down there again next season.

One thing I noticed from speaking to some of the members, we are pretty spoiled when it comes to green fees up here. Although some in Ottawa may consider our clublink memberships a litlte pricey, I tell you the members down there were pretty jealous of how much we are paying up here.

Can't wait to get out to the Muskoka courses.

Sweet,

Thanks for the information on the courses. I really want to get down there and play some.
    Colby

Putter nobdyhere is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jmr73

- King Valley (won't be playing it as I would have to pay a fee... just wondering if any of you have played it... I'll get out there next season)
    I believe you don't have to pay a fee if you bring 3 full paying guests. Usually they will waive your fees for that.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by nobdyhere
    I believe you don't have to pay a fee if you bring 3 full paying guests. Usually they will waive your fees for that.

Jason
    True. But if I am not going to pay the $80 reciprocal fee, I doubt I will be able to get 3 guests to pay $120+. This is not really an issue since I just play the prestige courses on a day that my course has a tournament. That is usually at least once a week. This year I was in Toronto for a few days (Monday to Thursday) so I made sure to book a Prestige course on the Tuesday since GH had a tournament. I ended up playing Rattlesnake Point. Next time I would play Greystone.

Pitching Wedge LHSteve is on a distinguished road LHSteve's Avatar
    As a former GH member transferred to Southwest On. I have played all of the Clublink courses in the West End. For what it is worth I rate them as follows:

1. Heron Point, a definate play. Probably the nicest Clublink course outside of the resort courses.
    2. Rattlesnake Point, Copperhead Course. A beautiful track with lightning fast greens.
    3. Glencairn. If you like Predator, you will love Glencairn. 27 holes of Scottish Links.
    4. Rattlesnake. Sidewinder. Very much like Talon with some links style holes mixed in but again lightning fast greens.
    5. Blue Springs Only a gold level course but a beauty and a lot of fun to play. Take a cart though.
    6. Greystone. I enjoyed it but the others I enjoyed more.
    7 Eagle Ridge. How they made this a gold track I do not know. Make sure to take a cart and be prepared for a long round.

That is my unofficial opinion. If you come as far as London Greenhills is a nice track but very tight.

Playing Winter Rules RBAKER is on a distinguished road RBAKER's Avatar
    I can't stand Cherry Downs.
    Membership- GlenCairn Golf Club

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    Too bad you missed Board of Trade aka The Country Club. The West course is a superb traditional layout. Undulating greens without a single straight putt. Conditioning this year is not the best due to high number of rounds played but, it's probably in the top 5 Gold level courses, for sure. Back nine is hilly so make sure your legs are in shape if you're walking.

Try it out next season.

Country Club is at the bottom of the heap. Much nicer Gold Clubs in TO

6 Iron hhk is on a distinguished road
    You're pretty quick on the trigger with your opinions but have little to add to this discussion.

"I can't stand Cherry Downs"
    "Country Club is bottom of the heap"

Fantastic contributions. Very helpful.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I agree.

rbaker; If you want to make negative comments that's fine, but please follow the forum rules. The relavant bit is highlighted below.

...This is not to say that a negative comment cannot be made, but rather that if such a comment is made it must be done accurately (don't exaggerate) politely, and with respect. State your issues, but do not vent here. Rants of any kind will not be tolerated. This may include generalities like "The course is just awful" which is not exactly a rant, but contains no useful information...

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Played Cherry Downs and Emerald Hills last weekend. Cold windy weather but no rain.

The courses were in great conditions especially the greens. Would go back any day but I preferred EH.

No pics. I brought my camera but forgot my memory chip at home.

Anxious to go back to GTA next year and play 2 or 3 other CL courses.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I am sorry for the blunt comments. I play 180 rounds a year out here, and could have been more helpful.
    Cherry Downs. is an older golf course- lacking in amenities, a very old unappealing clubhouse. The greens are usually shaved well beyond what one would expect in the US open. So for what ever you miss in the Ambience look forward to chip on roll offs and lots of 3 putts, that’s if your game is on.

Board of Trade, has been a nightmare out here. They block the tee-times until twi light and then once you get out there the you realize there are 20 other golf clubs in the area of better value.

Guys- Diamondback
    GlenCairn
    Heron Point
    Blue Springs
    King Valley

There are lots of beauties out here, just don't want you to head in the wrong direction. It’s a long drive back to Ottawa for Cherry Downs and the Board of Trade.
    I make sure I play them all and Cherrie Downs and Board of Trade are no exception; however please don’t go out of your way.

RB

Thread Information