CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar

Computer Repairs

I believe my PC is ready to crash, and I want to take it to a computer place to have someone look at it and assess it, can they fix it, is it worth fixing, and for how much.

What is a good place to go and have this done? I know there is Future Shop and Best Buy, etc..

Any other good places that I could go that have good service and are reasonable?

Thanks

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Craig:

Depending on how old your computer is, it may make no sense to repair it since the cost of a new one is quite cheap. One thing you should do immediately, though, is to buy an external hard drive (there are many that is both good and inexpensive - at the moment I am using two Lacies) and back up everything of importance to you. If you don't and you have a crash, it may be too late and then you may lose your music, emails, address books, photos, documents, golf accolades, etc. This I know from experience!

Mike
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Hi Mike. part of the problem is that somes things are corrupt on the computer, and I didn't want to back them up on an external hard drive and back up the corrupted files, drives, etc..on the new external hard drive.

I Michelle was looking at bad sites again, like Oprah, Dr. Phil and stuff...lol

That is why I wanted to take it some where, they could look and hopefully tell me which files etc. are corrupt, and if they can fix it, or should I just buy a new PC, and maybe they can fix corrupted files that I would want to back up and transfer to my new PC.

Wasn't sure if there were better places than Best Buy, etc... and was looking for recommendations. I may speak with the IT people at work and see if they have any recommendations on where to go.

I hope you and Teresa are enjoying your trip down south?

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    I've cleaned up many desktops and laptops, here are some of the steps I start with;

1) Download Malwarebytes, rename the downloaded file before running it to say z9.exe (some spyware will not let you launch a know anti-virus program). Once installed it's recommended you change the name of the mbam program to something else before launching (again spyware will prevent execution with regular name). Now perform a full scan with malwarebytes and take the recommended steps. A reboot will probably be necessary.

2) After the above process is complete remove all anti-virus/spyware programs installed and then purchase and download Trend Micro antivirus + anti-spyware program from their web site. If you want a decent free one, I've started installing Microsoft Security Essentials and have had good success.

3) I use CCleaner, the bought version but there is a free version, to get rid of temp files, clean up the registry etc.. CCleaner and other tools are very good programs to have, but during installation, you have to be careful and opt out of installing the adware that pays their bills.

4) Regularly run "windows update" or better yet set to update automatically.

5) Clean up hard drive(s), "Start/All Programs/Accessories", then "System Tools". Click on "Disk Cleanup" from the list that appears. Click the "More Options" tab at the top of the page, and select all three of the following: "Windows Components," "Installed Programs," and "System Restore". Clean up all three by clicking on their respective tabs. You may want to delete all but your most recent system restore point as you probably don't need the others.

6) Defrag your computer. Defraggler by Piriiform, is small, concise, and more powerful, than the one distributed with Windows.

I have also used ComputerCare on Rainbow street in the east end.

I would be more than happy to give you other information.

Don

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

Thumbs up New Computer / Service

When my computer died three + years ago I went to a few smaller places around Orleans. My family has had negative experiences with the big box (read Future Shop and Best Buy), because they are volume sellers and seem to lack in the service area. I found a small place, Computer Rise on St. Joseph Blvd. They were reasonable, had a variety of options (basically build your own based on your needs) and the service was great. I had a lot of stuff on my old one and after they cleaned up my old hard drive they inserted it into my new computer so I could keep photos and such. They had been in business for 8 years then, so 11 now. They are small, friendly, helpful and reasonably prices whether you want lap top, pc or other things. Only down side for me is they are techies and you have to remind them time to time to dumb it down (for me at least). I tried the mail order route too (Dell) and not for me. Need a place where if it goes south you can un plug and take it to them the same day for a fix... and no I'm not related or on commission, just think good service should be shared.

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up taking it to RB Computers in Bell's Corners as somebody recommended them. They seemed nice when I dropped it off. Will see this week, when they look at the PC and advise me as to what is wrong with and what it will take to fix it.

The motherboard on my computer blew up and was unable to get a new one, so it turns out I had to buy a new computer, and I found Adam at RB computers to be very good. He didn't mind all my questions and phone calls. We are happy with the new Dell at home. I would go there again.

Thread Information