CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker bNeill is on a distinguished road bNeill's Avatar

Golf in Australia

I'm an 18 year old university golf player and I'm taking a year off to travel in Australia. I'm probably going to be living in Sydney (haven't decided fully) and I'm leaving this coming April. I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience playing amateur events there or are familiar with any courses there that could be potential employers. I am getting my papers done through an agency affiliated with my university (McGill) so I won't have to worry about much other than setting up some interviews once I arrive. I'm hoping to improve my game while I'm there so I can compete back in North America in Canadian and American national events. Any insight and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    P Sherman 42 Wallaby Way Sydney

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    It's a great place to work on your game, I was in Perth for a year. I never made it over to the other side of the country, but I've heard it's pretty easy in Sydney to get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    It's a great place to work on your game, I was in Perth for a year. I never made it over to the other side of the country, but I've heard it's pretty easy in Sydney to get a job.
    The agency I'm going with says people typically get jobs within 7 days. I'm just hoping I could work at a club a few days a week and maybe get some limited playing privileges.
    Last edited by bNeill; 01-12-2011 at 08:17 PM.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    I went to Australia in 2001 to play in a tournament and then spent the next three months travelling around australia and new zealand. There are so many nice golf courses there and most if not all of them are at great prices. The mens leagues and tournament are much more frequent than ones that they have here.
    While I was there I worked part time at a muni called East Lakes Golf Club. The pro there was Ross Strachan. I looked at their website and he is still there and will be celebrating his 30th year there.
    Real good guy and work gave me ability to play. Once you get to know a few guys in the shop they might be able to point you in the correct direction for tournaments and playing other courses. Check out the website and drop him a line. If you have any questions send me a PM. http://www.eastlakegolfclub.com.au/contents/8069-home

Quote Originally Posted by goley View Post
    I went to Australia in 2001 to play in a tournament and then spent the next three months travelling around australia and new zealand. There are so many nice golf courses there and most if not all of them are at great prices. The mens leagues and tournament are much more frequent than ones that they have here.
    While I was there I worked part time at a muni called East Lakes Golf Club. The pro there was Ross Strachan. I looked at their website and he is still there and will be celebrating his 30th year there.
    Real good guy and work gave me ability to play. Once you get to know a few guys in the shop they might be able to point you in the correct direction for tournaments and playing other courses. Check out the website and drop him a line. If you have any questions send me a PM. http://www.eastlakegolfclub.com.au/contents/8069-home
    Thanks a lot; I really appreciate it.

Thread Information