CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Talking My Man Rocco: Mediate opts for no club deals in 2011

http://www.golfweek.com/news/2011/ja...ub-deals-2011/

Mediate opts for no club deals in 2011

So which equipment company did Rocco Mediate sign with in the offseason?
    “No club deals,” he announced outside the clubhouse at Kapalua. “Not looking for one. I turned them all down.”
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Ah, this makes sense now. This really caught me by surprise yesterday when I saw a commercial with him for Dicks, and he was walking around with a shirt with a Nike logo, an arm with a Taylormade Tattoo etc. They really emphasize all the manufacturer logos throughout the commercial.

Its funny how you associate people with certain "brands" and how easily you can be thrown off when you see them with something else. Tiger's a perfect example, I take a 2nd look every time I see him with a putter missing the 3 red dots.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Not really a big surprise.

Rocco was probably already financially secure and with the win last year he's exempt until he's eligible for the Retirement Fund Gravy Tour, I mean Champion's Tour, so why not play what he wants.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    What this really means is that he was probably not offered what he thought was "fair" from Callaway, his longtime sponsor. Getting a big head because you won a Fall Series event, Rocco? Tsk tsk.

Callaway also failed to re-sign McDowell, so maybe they're cutting back on player endorsements?

Anyways, if he got something from Dick's, good for him.

Actually he and Callaway split because he wanted to switch putters from an Odyssey, which was against the terms of his (and all) Callaway club contract.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Actually he and Callaway split because he wanted to switch putters from an Odyssey, which was against the terms of his (and all) Callaway club contract.
    Ah. Interesting. So much for "go with what got you there", huh?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I guess I'll never sign with Callaway. sigh

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    Ah. Interesting. So much for "go with what got you there", huh?
    In his defense, the Callaway putter wasn't working for him and he wanted to change it. They said no, so they ended the contract.

With the new putter he ended up winning so it's hard to argue against his decision.

Ping and Callaway both require you to play one of their putters if you have a club deal with them. I guess the message is that they care more about putters than other clubs.

Talking about putters.

Talking about putters.
    Last year Rocco went to Scotty Camerons Putting Studio and asked Scotty for a Scotty Cameron carry/stand bag to use at the Frys.com tournament. Which is actually a Sun Mountain carry bag with Scotty Cameron badging all over it. Rocco likes the Scotty Cameron putters so much he wanted to carry it for free. Scotty had to deny his request and told Rocco that he is only a sub-brand to Titleist and he has to answer to them.
    Rocco wasn't happy about it apparently.
    I read this in an article after Rocco won the Frys.com tournament last fall.
    Last edited by Break68; 01-07-2011 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    In his defense, the Callaway putter wasn't working for him and he wanted to change it. They said no, so they ended the contract. With the new putter he ended up winning so it's hard to argue against his decision.
    I think he won that tourney with his wedges & irons, not his putter, weren't those Callaways. I do not blame him switching as all pros should be able to use what they want. I cannot see McDowell switching putters after last year!!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Probably true, but people are very superstitious about their putters.

In McDowell's case even though he is now a Srixon staffer he is still using his Odyssey putter.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    I think he won that tourney with his wedges & irons, not his putter, weren't those Callaways. I do not blame him switching as all pros should be able to use what they want. I cannot see McDowell switching putters after last year!!!
    Rocco used Titleist AP2 710s with KBS shafts and Spin Milled Vokeys with DGS300 shafts at the Frys.com.
    Last edited by Break68; 01-07-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2010...scom-open.html
    Rocco WITB at Frys.com Fall 2010.

I was wrong about the wedge shafts, they were KBS as well. Not DGS300.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I didn't think the "Scotty Cameron" brand paid players to play his stuff, so why would that have been an issue? Seems a little strange to me. Perhaps it had more to do with Titleist not wanting tour players to have SC branded bags, etc.

Yes, I think Titleist can tell Scotty whatever they want from what it sounds like.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Well Cameron is a subordinate brand to Titleist, so they're not going to allow it to be promoted over the main brand. Also, there is pay for play for Cameron putters.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I read McDowell was drawn to Srixon mainly because their ball (Z-Star) that he wanted to use

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Ping and Callaway both require you to play one of their putters if you have a club deal with them. I guess the message is that they care more about putters than other clubs.
    Funny you mention this. Last year I spent a bored evening on Youtube going through lots of players WITB videos (some of which are funny BTW). I was really surprised at how mixed most players bags are, often with 2, 3 or more brands in the bag.

Hybrid headcase is on a distinguished road headcase's Avatar

rocco mediate

So the tour for 2011 will now have 2 players without equipment deals, Ryan Moore and Rocco Mediate. You might see this incresing each year as companies are really cutting back on equipment deals that pay alot. Last i heard Titleist is even toying with the idea of letting Scotty Cameron go. The putters do not generate the income for them like they used to, and the royalties to Scotty Cameron are high.
    Cobra has been sold since July 1 2010 and Fortune brands the parent company of Titleist has put the company up for sale as of Dec 1 2010. Things will change for alot of tour players in the next few years regarding equipment contracts.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    So the tour for 2011 will now have 2 players without equipment deals, Ryan Moore and Rocco Mediate. You might see this incresing each year as companies are really cutting back on equipment deals that pay alot. Last i heard Titleist is even toying with the idea of letting Scotty Cameron go. The putters do not generate the income for them like they used to, and the royalties to Scotty Cameron are high.
    Cobra has been sold since July 1 2010 and Fortune brands the parent company of Titleist has put the company up for sale as of Dec 1 2010. Things will change for alot of tour players in the next few years regarding equipment contracts.
    Moore went without a contract 2 years ago, but last year he was with Scratch and this year Adams. Also, the situation with Cameron isn't that Titleist is thinking of letting him go, it's more whether he will walk or be sold off as part of the Acushnet auction by Fortune Brands. Titleist just signed him to a new multi-year deal earlier this year.

Championship Cup atomic is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Ah, this makes sense now. This really caught me by surprise yesterday when I saw a commercial with him for Dicks, and he was walking around with a shirt with a Nike logo, an arm with a Taylormade Tattoo etc. They really emphasize all the manufacturer logos throughout the commercial.

Its funny how you associate people with certain "brands" and how easily you can be thrown off when you see them with something else. Tiger's a perfect example, I take a 2nd look every time I see him with a putter missing the 3 red dots.
    Tiger's putter doesn't have the 3 red dots...only one on the heel and one in the cavity.

Thread Information