CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar

The Legends Myrtle Beach

Looking for some input regarding golf/accommodations in MB SC. About to book at this resort but finding some negative comments on Trip Advisor.com. Any advice would be appreciated. Many comments seem to be older and indicate that the resort may have been sold recently. Comments?

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    We have received no complaints from golfers staying at the Legends Resort Condos. Management of the Legends Resort condos have recently been taken over by Century Partners/Arnold Palmer Golf Management and the courses have been sold to the same company.

The Legends Special is quickly booking up, some mornings in February and April are already sold out.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

7 Iron Duff is on a distinguished road Duff's Avatar
    I was in Myrtle last week and we played Blackmore and River Hills. Both were very nice. River Hills was a bit tighter. Would recommend either.

Thanks for the trip report Duff.
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Legends - Heathland - Trip Report

Had a good day today. Course in good shape and greens rolling pretty good after some of the early dew dissipated. Wide forgiving fairways, and "rough" is still dormant but fluffy so not an issue to hit out of. Legends Resort is a great place. Accommodation is good, good facilities in the residential area with the pub, pool and hot tub. Mostly golfers, but a few families with kids. Very quiet. Club house breakfast and lunch are fantastic, although the two free draft were a little weak and warm. Pace was about 5 hours and when we got off at 1245 hrs the temp was 28*C. All in all a good day. Heritage tomorrow, then Moorland, Oyster Bay and Parkland. Will provide updates later.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Had a good day today. Course in good shape and greens rolling pretty good after some of the early dew dissipated. Wide forgiving fairways, and "rough" is still dormant but fluffy so not an issue to hit out of. Legends Resort is a great place. Accommodation is good, good facilities in the residential area with the pub, pool and hot tub. Mostly golfers, but a few families with kids. Very quiet. Club house breakfast and lunch are fantastic, although the two free draft were a little weak and warm. Pace was about 5 hours and when we got off at 1245 hrs the temp was 28*C. All in all a good day. Heritage tomorrow, then Moorland, Oyster Bay and Parkland. Will provide updates later.
    It's good to hear that Heathland is in good shape. I will be interested in your take on the others. Too bad about the 5 hour pace of play though.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    It's good to hear that Heathland is in good shape. I will be interested in your take on the others. Too bad about the 5 hour pace of play though.
    5 hours was a good round last year. the special they have had on means the courses are packed, great for the course, bad for the golfers. all our rounds at Legends were 5-5.5 hours last year. If you know that going in, you're ok. I'll be curious to see the reviews of the others, especially Moorland which ain't everyone's cup of tea, and Oyster Bay which has had conditioning issues, but still has some awesome holes.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Legends - Heritage Golf Club - Trip Report
    Just got back, another good day, but did shower a bit. Round was a little faster, with front done in about 2:10. Course in great shape, rough a little better filled in than at Heathland. Good old fashioned club, great small restaurant and pro shop. Course has wide landing areas and winds amoung some very nice homes. Beer was cold and food was good. The group all recommend a replay. Club is about 45 minute drive from the main Legends complex but directions are simple. Great hospitality.

Thanks Kiwi for the day by day updates!
    Myrtle Beach Golf

looking forward to hearing about Oyster Bay. Take some pics if you can of the greens - I'd like to see first hand how good/bad they are.

Legends - Moorland -Trip Report
    Good day today, cooler, had to wear long pants/sleeves for the first 6 holes until it warmed up. Shorts and tees by the time we got off. Clear and ideal with light winds and about 70-75*F. Course in great shape. Marshall told us it was the #37 toughest public course rated by Golf Digest. With the mounds, waste areas, and water, I can see why. Fair test for all levels but you have to use your head, no grip n' rip here. Would rate this as the best of the courses, so far. The Legends Resort is a busy place and seems that many others have taken good advantage of this package. We were out first today (#10) so did that in 2 hrs, then got behind the mid-morning groups and it slowed down, final time was about 4:45. Now done three of their five courses and find it strange that with all they spend to make this work there is NO hole markers, signs etc. Have drive by several holes and missed the tee boxes. If they are trying to save money or it is a vandalism issue why not just paint the tee box location on the paved paths? Barely takes away from the quality of the courses though. Oyster Bay tomorrow and Parkland on Friday. Heard from many golfers that OB is in "tough" shape. Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    looking forward to hearing about Oyster Bay. Take some pics if you can of the greens - I'd like to see first hand how good/bad they are.
    Have now talked to two people/groups, one from home in mid March then again today that said they are "painting" the greens at OB. Don't know what that means but do have my camera with me and will try to get some shots.

thanks for the updates...

Moorland is an experience, there are some interesting holes and its not everyones cup of tea though I liked it and played pretty well there. I think you will like Parkland, its more of a traditional style course and I was pleasantly surprised. OB has some great holes as well, very memorable especially along the marshland.

Legends - Oyster Bay - Trip Report
    Great weather day, low 70s, light winds, virtually no clouds. The course on the other hand, not so good. I think the reports of it being in rough shape may be a little exagerated, IMHO, but of the four courses played, our group of six say it is the least enjoyed. There is some work being done on the greens, but with large greens and the damage on the fringes it had little or no effect. The greens were rolling good but contained a variety of conditions, from heavily sanded, to green to brown. The marshall said they had a "tough" winter with a lot of kill. The fairways and rough were thin in a lot of areas, unlike the other courses where you could get your club under the ball. The majority opinion is that if it were on a list to play next year they would not choose it. I liked the lay out, and had an issue with only two holes as being a littly "tricked up" or not really in keeping with the style of the course in general. It is in a great setting, intertwined with the marshes and there is lots of wildlife, including lots of gators. The club house is long in the tooth and run down, the service is slow but the crew are over worked and under staffed, but still very hospitable. The course bag drop is small and therefore a little chaotic, but again they were more than accommodating. I think their issues go beyond the "bad winter". Too bad because it sure is pretty to walk. Got some pictures too that I will post upon return. Parkland tomorrow.

thanks Kiwi - sounds like a fair assessement. They course was a little rough around the edges and the greens a bit tough last year as well so its not the rough winter.

Legends - Parkland - Trip Report
    Well, that's done. Great course, but still a 5 hour plus round. Cannot take any responsibility for that though as the starter did not get the first group off until 15minutes after we were to tee off, then they slipped in a few more groups between the 9 and 10th hole. Back nine was long and tiring. Course is a great one and a definite replay. Great condition and good challenge for the high handicapper from the whites, next time we'll swallow our pride and use the greens, and enjoy the course more. Service at the end of the round was great and fast. Course is more "traditional" as previously reported by others, with holes winding thorugh the trees and homes along the course. Nothing too close to give you much concern. Overall package was great and would definitely do it again. They told us there was no maid service except the last day, but every day we have had someone in to make beds and change towels. All in all a great package and well worth the money. Only issue, from my part is the lack of signage on the course indicating holes and info. On one hole today it was a little iffy as to which flag to shoot at, and had it not been for the group ahead of us being held up, we'd not have known. Times are a little slow, but I guess that is the price you pay for taking a popular package.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    Jeff, tried posting pictures yesterday, but apparently I have to create an "album". Followed the directions to go to the user control panel, but dead ended there. Could not find the "Pictures and Album" link. If someone can point the way I have the pictures, otherwise, send me a PM and I'll share what I have with you through e-mail.

just go "Reply" Go Advanced, and then manage attachment button....

does that help?

The Legends - Oyster Bay 2011-04-14 - Conditions

Here are shots of the conditions. Sorry, was not thinking when I took them or would have recorded hole numbers. Suffice to say, this is not reflective of ALL holes, but a significant number. There were probably as many greens that were in "seasonal" shape with the balance being somewhat less than you'd expect and less than the other four courses we played.
    Attached Images

hopefully 3 weeks of weather has helped the course...my expectations are low so that may help...

Thread Information