CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Golf books

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

Golf books

Why is it that people can read a book about golf and suddenly be better at the game?

Have books/magazines helped your game?

I think that the only way to get better at the game is NOT by reading books, nor hitting the range. It's by putting yourself into a situation on the course and making something happen.

Sure, people always want an edge (or an advantage) over others in golf... that's just the way it is.

I have never taken a lesson/read a golf book/or go to the range trying to figure what's wrong with my swing.

I guess that my biggest beef is that someone that I'm playing with insists that they "should go back to the book" because they've messed something up.

I find it pretty pathetic....

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    Why is it that people can read a book about golf and suddenly be better at the game?

Have books/magazines helped your game?
    YES! Sure you can improve by trial and error without listening to anyone else, but I like to get advice and ideas from other people rather than re-inventing everything myself. You are always free to ignore the advice if you want to.

Mann & Griffin's Swing Like a Pro, Nick Faldo's A Swing for Life, Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible and Ledbetter's The Fundamentals of Hogan have all provided excellent reads on the golf swing for me. Of course, the REAL learning happens when you go to the range and try to incorporate their ideas into your swing.

I think that the only way to get better at the game is NOT by reading books, nor hitting the range. It's by putting yourself into a situation on the course and making something happen.
    Well, maybe if you work at a golf course and get to play several days a week for free - but for most of us regular folks that's a pretty expensive way to learn the game! I'll stick with the "learn-new-things-and-try-them-at-the-range-first" method.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    I think that books can help your game....if for no other reason than giving you a new perspective of problem areas. They are also pretty good to putt with

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Why is it that people can read a book about golf and suddenly be better at the game? Have books/magazines helped your game?
    Yes, they've helped my game, but never instantly. I remember hacking the ball for 5 years before I read up on the swing "mechanics", and it helped endlessly. Sure for some, its swing and hit, and learn from what happens, but for me the books helped me understand how to understand...if you follow.

Now I can:
    - look at my divots
    - study my ball flight
    - re-adjust my grip, stance, backswing, etc
    - change my stance and ball position and club selection for different situations
    - pitch effectively
    - putt a bit better

etc.

I never learned this through trial and error, if anything it made it frustrating not knowing "why" something happened.

As for achieving results, I've "improved" and continue to improve, but yes, its from practicing, not from reading.

3 Iron kewarken is on a distinguished road
    I think that there may be some rare folk out there who could figure it out on their own but I think they're _very_ rare. Almost everyone was taught one way or another, whether by watching others, reading, getting lessons, etc.

I've taught myself by books and internet articles. In my first year I've gotten to the point that my normal round is about 100 which I believe is fairly decent for a beginner. It took a long time for all the knowledge I had gathered to gel into something that resembled a decent swing but I think the key advantage to that knowledge is self assessment.

Analyzing and recreating my swing a half dozen times or more this year has given me the ability to understand the reasons for bad hits and correct them. When a shot goes wrong, I usually know more or less what I did and can correct it the next time. I find this much better than feeling helpless in the face of a bad round. Understanding your swing and body lets you say, "Oops...straightened my leg a bit on that one....better keep down," or "Little over the top that time, lets keep that back elbow a little closer to the body."

cheers,

Kris

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road

lessons & books

You have to take everything with a grain of salt. Not everything you read applies to you and your skill level. For myself, I take a lesson every couple of months and keep going back to Hogans 5 Fundamentals (by Ledbetter) between lessons for reference. I find that the book supports the lessons quite well. Lately I've been using Tour Tempo and my instructor commented on how easy my swing looked compared to the last time we'd gotten together. To each his own though. I have friends who've never picked up a book or taken a lesson, yet play to a 5 or 6 handcap.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Golf books are amazing. The trick is to stick with one and work at it with determination. This is my 8th season and I learned 70% of my golf reading magazines, books and Internet. The other 30% are from golf lessons. I have been a single digit HDCP for three years now.

Great fundamentals equals playing great under pressure. I have seen many 8 to 12 handicappers that have no fundamentals crumble under pressure in qualifying and/or tournament rounds.

Only a hand-full of pro players are self-taught. That says a lot.

I have a thread on the book I am working on since the end of June.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Why is it that people can read a book about golf and suddenly be better at the game? Have books/magazines helped your game?
    I have never taken a lesson/read a golf book/or go to the range trying to figure what's wrong with my swing.
    Let's compare learning how to play golf to learning how to play hockey, basketball, volleyball or whatever. You are suggesting that to play any sport well, just play the game.("Put yourself in a situation on the course.") Don't learn how to skate, or volley, or take a jump shot, etc., just play. And remember, don't practice.("hitting the range.")

In my former life, I taught Phys. Ed. and when teaching kids a game that they had never played before, they learned best by a series of basic drills, related activities and leadup games, in a particular sequence. When the skills were sufficiently mastered, learning how to play the game came next. Why would golf be any different? Whether a person learns the game from a book, from lessons, or whatever, is it not essential that they learn how to swing a club first, before walking onto a course?

If I want to fade the ball around a tree, would I not have an easier chance to do this if I first learned the fundamentals of creating this shot, have practiced it and then be able to use this acquired skill on the course rather than just doing something that I have never done before?

When I was 15 my parents and I took 16 indoor lessons during the winter from Earl Stimpson.(That name should bring back some memories) In the following spring I stepped on a golf course for the very first time in my life and scored 101 at the Glenlea(Champlain). Had only one more game over 100 and in my second year of golf scored 77(Outaouais). Were it not for the fundamentals that this kind man taught me that winter, all the reading about golf that I did, and the practice that went with it, I may still be scoring in the 100's. Also, I am a better putter today because of what I read in Dave Pelz, "Putt Like The Pros."

Sorry, but to suggest that the best way of learning golf is not to read or particularly, not to practice, is just a little off the wall.

Now, I am off to learn how to sky dive by putting myself into a situation in the air, and making something happen.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    I believe the Schtik meant the following: If you are a natural and learned to play golf at an early age and spent all your summers hitting golf balls and playing then you will probably never have to read a book. It was believed that Sam Snead never took a lesson in his life. I doubt that Trevino and Rodriguez ever did either. That or they were not very good students. On the other hand Hogan and Nicklaus were total opposites. At an early age kids are not self conscious and they do not blame themselves for a bad shot nor rework their swings when they do so. However for the rest of us who picked up the game later in life it gets a little more complicated. Especially when the same bad shot is hit on a regular basis. Anyway we read books to help us lower our scores and get rid of nasty habits. Golf is not fun when improvement is not part of the equation.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

Now, I am off to learn how to sky dive by putting myself into a situation in the air, and making something happen.
    LMAO. I'm laughing so hard, I'm sure I awakened the neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    I believe the Schtik meant the following: If you are a natural and learned to play golf at an early age and spent all your summers hitting golf balls and playing then you will probably never have to read a book. It was believed that Sam Snead never took a lesson in his life. I doubt that Trevino and Rodriguez ever did either. That or they were not very good students. On the other hand Hogan and Nicklaus were total opposites. At an early age kids are not self conscious and they do not blame themselves for a bad shot nor rework their swings when they do so. However for the rest of us who picked up the game later in life it gets a little more complicated. Especially when the same bad shot is hit on a regular basis. Anyway we read books to help us lower our scores and get rid of nasty habits. Golf is not fun when improvement is not part of the equation.
    Yes, but as mentioned, these people are the exceptions not the rule. His original point was that reading books is useless/pathetic, and that the only way to learn was practice. The AVERAGE score for a male golfer is 100, I believe. That says a lot. Yes, I too have friends who pick up the clubs and shoot low 80s. I also have friends who do the reverse. Natural atheletes are unique and can enjoy picking up any sport, but the rest who don't learn the mechanics don't improve. I still have a friend who puts the ball way up on his forward foot for his 9, 8 and 7, and doesnt understand why hes hitting the ground first.

I can only speak for myself and my friend hackers I witness around me.
    5 years playing + no study + lots of practice= no improvements.
    3 years after + books + lessons + lots of practice = much improved.

Agreed. However this thread brought up a few questions in my mind such as: Did Moe Norman ever take lessons or read books? I don't think so. Did the the first ever sky diver take lessons? Did we take lessons or read books to learn how to walk?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Did Moe Norman ever take lessons or read books?
    Yes. Yes. Moe was a "student" of Paul Bertholy and was a prolific reader of golf books. The evolution of his swing was due not only to his own experimentation, but to the influence that Paul had on him. Compare "The Bertholy Method" to Moe's swing. A carbon copy.

Interestingly, Hogan, Norman and George Knudson, three of the greatest ball strikers ever, all had the same downswing motion, from a wide stance.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Yes. Yes. Moe was a "student" of Paul Bertholy and was a prolific reader of golf books. The evolution of his swing was due not only to his own experimentation, but to the influence that Paul had on him. Compare "The Bertholy Method" to Moe's swing. A carbon copy.

Interestingly, Hogan, Norman and George Knudson, three of the greatest ball strikers ever, all had the same downswing motion, from a wide stance.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I believe the Schtik meant the following: If you are a natural and learned to play golf at an early age and spent all your summers hitting golf balls and playing then you will probably never have to read a book.
    Gee Andre, you make it sound like "reading a book" is about as much fun as going to the dentist for a root canal. I actually ENJOY reading golf books. And I'm sure you read a lot of books, online articles, etc. to improve on your clubmaking - rather than relying simply on trial-and-error.

Interestingly, here's a quote I picked up on the FGI forum from George Hibbard (golf instructor and author of Perfect Impact) on this issue:

To go at building a swing clueless as to what to do is like taking up any trade without a mentor: reinventing stuff is never as efficient as going to school, the library, asking, taking lessons, etc. Truly, teaching one's self is the blind leading the blind; few can find the way by trial and error in golf in a single lifetime...

The history of man IS about the passing on of information. It is not wise and it will cost you dearly to avoid getting intelligent and informed help.

IOW, teaching yourself is possible - but why would you want to when so much excellent help is available to you?
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Interestingly, here's a quote I picked up on the FGI forum from George Hibbard (golf instructor and author of Perfect Impact) on this issue:

To go at building a swing clueless as to what to do is like taking up any trade without a mentor: reinventing stuff is never as efficient as going to school, the library, asking, taking lessons, etc. Truly, teaching one's self is the blind leading the blind; few can find the way by trial and error in golf in a single lifetime...

The history of man IS about the passing on of information. It is not wise and it will cost you dearly to avoid getting intelligent and informed help.

IOW, teaching yourself is possible - but why would you want to when so much excellent help is available to you?
    Well said!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Most of us are intellegent people so we don't believe everything we read in a golf book or online.

But for me, I enjoy reading about golf. I like to see different interpretations of how the swing works, it doesn't mean that I ditch my swing and try a new way everytime I read an article, but there are great tips/tricks for putting, chipping etc that would take you a lot of time and money to figure out if you were on your own.

To me reading about golf is the next best thing to actually playing/practicing golf.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

read, read, read

is my motto. You can always learn something, just like you can with a lesson, or by watching weekend golf on TV. While it is a lot tougher for the average golfer to sort out the kinks in their swing from a book, there is a lot to be learned on the subject of etiquette, putting, chipping, practicing, mental aspects and course management from reading. I have learned so much about this from books and watching weekend golf on TV. Has it made me a better golfer? Definitely.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    I'm surprised on how books affect your games (based on your responses so far).

Sure, as el tigre stated I have a "certain" advantage by working at a course and playing whenever I want to. But actually, I only play maybe twice a month. I never practise and I don't read the books.

I've always been a "feeling" player. I'd rather be in a situation and figure out the best way of playing the shot as opposed to having the shot (which I've read about) and messing it up. There is no right way to play golf. Only many decisions to make with an infinate number of outcomes.

BTW, my handicap index is at 7.6 for those who are keeping score at home

There is no right way to play golf. Only many decisions to make with an infinate number of outcomes.

BTW, my handicap index is at 7.6 for those who are keeping score at home
    Agreed, theres no "right" way to do anything, but there are certainly short cuts. I know for my "specialty" areas, things I try to excel at or enjoy improving, ALL involve books somehow. Mostly to see how others are doing it, and to pick and choose what works.

The reverse is true: wheres the HARM in reading the book.

As for your index, you're one of the lucky few.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If I could find a way to get to a 7.6 without reading or practicing I'd expect it to be expensive and sold in a tent at a circus.

Hey Shtick is it OK to take lessons?

Actually the best book out there is VJ's latest release. Best darn book I ever read.
    Last edited by Chieflongtee; 09-30-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Dave Peltz's Putting Bible has more than paid for itself

Thread Information