CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Belmont

Optishot distances

I just set up and need help regarding club distances. With a full swing, I'm getting about 50 yards with an 8 iron. Real golf I hit about 120. I'm using old clubs and not my regular callaways. Would that make a difference. Is there something I need to do to get realistic distances? I'm set up in the basement and getting light thru large windows but no sun. thanks to those responding.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
    I just set up and need help regarding club distances. With a full swing, I'm getting about 50 yards with an 8 iron. Real golf I hit about 120. I'm using old clubs and not my regular callaways. Would that make a difference. Is there something I need to do to get realistic distances? I'm set up in the basement and getting light thru large windows but no sun. thanks to those responding.
    What are your club readings? Is the problem only with the 8 iron? Is the bottom of the club black?

Belmont
    Shows club speed around 50 and the distance shortages apply to all clubs. I'm using my Callaways. Bottom of clubs not black, clean and bright.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Shows club speed around 50 and the distance shortages apply to all clubs. I'm using my Callaways. Bottom of clubs not black, clean and bright.
    Is it the same if you use other clubsets? i.e. Players set?

Irons should be around 70 mph. If you have black electrical tape, you can try taping a club to see if it helps. Leave a nice, even, shiny strip of bottom for the sensor to read.

What about driver and woods?

8 Iron caddishack is on a distinguished road caddishack's Avatar
    on top of that I might add that I notice when friends come over to play, their swing has a tendancy to bounce off the unit at times and when the unit moves that small distance it usually ends up being about a 50 yard fat shot.

Belmont
    Thanks for the info. Going to work with it again tomorrow. Would be nice if there was a manual with the game. I did not where one can make changes/adjustments to the different clubs, until trial and error. Correct me if I'm wrong. Changes are made in the practice mode by pulling down the menu and selecting preferences. Only the set that you create can be changed.

I set my clubs up in the play mode....same screen will open for you.

Belmont
    I was able to configure my set of Callaway while in the practice mode and now gettng more distance. But when I went to play mode, the distances were short again, did not provide what I had configured in practice mode. Where should I configure the distance to insuree that it is permanent in practice and play mode. Also, are the distances in the players club and Muscle Back set, or can they be changed. thanks

I was able to configure my set of Callaway while in the practice mode and now gettng more distance. But when I went to play mode, the distances were short again, did not provide what I had configured in practice mode. Where should I configure the distance to insuree that it is permanent in practice and play mode. Also, are the distances in the players club and Muscle Back set, or can they be changed. thanks
    Make sure in play mode that you have selected your clubs that you edited

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road

Club Distances

FYI, I used a nice piece of velcro 2"x2" to secure the sensor unit to the floor. Now the unit stays in place even when my guests hit fat shots......and they do a lot because of the short nap on the grass. I think we may see a better matt soon.

Meanwhile, I have noticed that IF you even graze the matt it definitely slows your swing speed down. For me I usually hit a 5 iron @ 80 MPH if I pick it real clean I can get 85, conversely if I hit the grass I can see a speed of 60-70 mph.

One last observation.......I have noticed a slower swing speed depending on the ball type you have chosen....try experiment with reall ball versus foam and see which is better for you. I go with real ball and the harder brush tee type balls. I then use the edit clubset function to tweak any club that is slightly off.

Hope this helps!

Lob Wedge d_b is on a distinguished road
    my swing speed is constantly 15mph below what it should be. I have been measured with several swing monitors and my iron speed is 75mph. But the Optishot measures me at 60mph. If I tape up the soles of my irons with white tape will it help?
    I've tried many many lighting scenarios but never get close to my swing speed.

Quote Originally Posted by d_b View Post
    my swing speed is constantly 15mph below what it should be. I have been measured with several swing monitors and my iron speed is 75mph. But the Optishot measures me at 60mph. If I tape up the soles of my irons with white tape will it help?
    I've tried many many lighting scenarios but never get close to my swing speed.
    If this is the case you can customize the swing speed and increase it 15%

I suppose the bottom line is if your practising, just what does it mean in relation to helping your real game. Why do they have that adjustment in the editing tools unless of course the unit has issues deciphering speeds

Belmont
    I just finished reading all the posts in the large DD Golf simulator (over 92 pages). I thought maybe it was just me, trying to set up correct distances, but I notice that others have had this same problem and have tried different thing, use foam ball with no foam setting, use real ball with foam setting, etc. I have not tried any of that yet, but I will. A little frustrating at times. I bought DD two weeks ago and have two more weeks to get it set up where I can enjoy it, or I'm going to return it. I appreciate all the comments.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Good luck Belmont. Go through all the basics, lighting, cleaning the sensors etc. We are all loking for the same thing - basic accuracy and consistency.

Putter skeurton is on a distinguished road
    i've had mine for about a week and, at first, was having all the same problems that others have stated--slow swing speeds, short distances, not hitting the ball in the center of the club, etc. for the life of me, i couldn't fiigure out what was wrong. i consider myself to be a fairly decent ball striker, so i was worried that i had just wasted $400.

on sunday, i was able to make it out (it was cold, but manageable) and play a quick 9 holes. right off the 1st tee, i was hitting the ball terribly. something just didn't "feel" right. since i was the only one out there, i started playing 2 or 3 balls per hole just to practice and find a groove. i eventually got back into my swing and things were normal again.

when i got home, i decided to give the optishot another whirl. but i was back to the same problems. i thought, "great, here we go again." my swing instantly felt all out of sorts, and all of this just after "finding" my swing no more than an hour ago. i took a step back and just took some nice easy practice swings for a few minutes. everything started to click. stepped back up to the optishot, took a deep breath, cleared my mind, and swung away... VOILA!!! it worked!!! then shot after shot, things felt right and the ball flight on screen was just like real life. i followed up with 9 holes at Torrey South and shot a 42, which is right in line with a typical 9-hole score for me.

so what happened???

i gave it a little thought and came to a couple conclusions:

1) i was feeling apprehensive about swinging a club indoors. it's probably the equivalent of claustrophobia. i just felt like i didn't have the space to make a full swing, even though i know i do. it didn't feel natural. after all, a golf course is thousands of yards long. and here i am swinging a club in my living room. i was afraid of hitting something, which translated to tentative swings.

2) seeing those sensors right behind the ball also made me a bit nervous. the only thing i could think was, "don't hit the sensors.... hit the ball.... don't hit the sensors.... hit the ball.... don't hit the sensors.... hit the ball." again, this translated to tentative swings. instead, i should just be trusting my swing, just like i do out on the course. as long as i trust my swing, i can't do anything but hit the ball.

once i figured those two things out, it's been nothing but smooth sailing and tons of fun. i created my custom clubset and didn't have to alter a thing. all offsets are true to life, and swing speed and distance remain at 100%.

BOTTOM LINE: it was all a head game for me.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    They say golf is 90% in your head. Congrats skeurton. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by skeurton View Post
    i've had mine for about a week and, at first, was having all the same problems that others have stated--slow swing speeds, short distances, not hitting the ball in the center of the club, etc. for the life of me, i couldn't fiigure out what was wrong. i consider myself to be a fairly decent ball striker, so i was worried that i had just wasted $400.

on sunday, i was able to make it out (it was cold, but manageable) and play a quick 9 holes. right off the 1st tee, i was hitting the ball terribly. something just didn't "feel" right. since i was the only one out there, i started playing 2 or 3 balls per hole just to practice and find a groove. i eventually got back into my swing and things were normal again.

when i got home, i decided to give the optishot another whirl. but i was back to the same problems. i thought, "great, here we go again." my swing instantly felt all out of sorts, and all of this just after "finding" my swing no more than an hour ago. i took a step back and just took some nice easy practice swings for a few minutes. everything started to click. stepped back up to the optishot, took a deep breath, cleared my mind, and swung away... VOILA!!! it worked!!! then shot after shot, things felt right and the ball flight on screen was just like real life. i followed up with 9 holes at Torrey South and shot a 42, which is right in line with a typical 9-hole score for me.

so what happened???

i gave it a little thought and came to a couple conclusions:

1) i was feeling apprehensive about swinging a club indoors. it's probably the equivalent of claustrophobia. i just felt like i didn't have the space to make a full swing, even though i know i do. it didn't feel natural. after all, a golf course is thousands of yards long. and here i am swinging a club in my living room. i was afraid of hitting something, which translated to tentative swings.

2) seeing those sensors right behind the ball also made me a bit nervous. the only thing i could think was, "don't hit the sensors.... hit the ball.... don't hit the sensors.... hit the ball.... don't hit the sensors.... hit the ball." again, this translated to tentative swings. instead, i should just be trusting my swing, just like i do out on the course. as long as i trust my swing, i can't do anything but hit the ball.

once i figured those two things out, it's been nothing but smooth sailing and tons of fun. i created my custom clubset and didn't have to alter a thing. all offsets are true to life, and swing speed and distance remain at 100%.

BOTTOM LINE: it was all a head game for me.
    I know before I start swinging I do what I would before really golfing and do some stretching. I think we have all experienced going to the range and the first few shots out of the bucket are pretty hideous.

3 Wood cvclub is on a distinguished road

DD Swing speed

You are 100% correct on the head game! I play DD about once/day and I can say w/confidence that 99.9% of the time when I think that DD is incorrect I usually eat my words! If there is one thing I have learned thru simulation it is that the golf swing is an amazing enity and it can change minute to minute.

My routine now is simply this...stretch for a few minutes, hit 5-10 shots w/o concern for anything except tempo, then check for swing speed,path,etc. Most of the time I will see my true swing speed/path/etc. appear after the warm-up and most importantly my head is in the right place!

I am now a fanatic about warming up before ANY golf activity.....it really makes a difference!

Have fun and trust the simulator!

Sand Wedge purgasoj is on a distinguished road
    I agree- it is funny because the first couple times I used DD, I didnt go through my normal stretching routine that I do before I play on a real course. I use a momentus iron to warm up- just basically stretching hamstrings- back, arms and wrists first while holding it- then taking some slow swings. I now do that same routine before playing DD- def. get better- more immediate results when doing this. plus I am not as sore afterward- added bonus

Belmont
    Everything is working fine for me. I made adjustments to my Callaway irons for the distances I normally hit. I have an 8 ft ceiling so i limit my clubs to irons. I hit a five iron in lieu of the driver that the caddy provides. DD was constantly showing that my swing was outside in and I was hitting hooks. I made adjustments to my stance, worked on that and now hitting straight. Can't wait until weather breaks and i can apply this to real golf. I still need to make slight adjustments and I'm good to go. I am a happy camper. I am really impressed with the system. Only wish I had a 9 foot ceiling! Thanks for everyone's comments
    Last edited by Belmont; 01-18-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Putter john82 is on a distinguished road
    Hi all, Im new to this forum...I have my Optishot for about 3 weeks and having lots of fun!
    Is there any difference between adjusting the swing speed rather than distance? I've never tried adjusting the speed so have no idea and had the same problem with hitting all my irons short,
    Thanks,

Thread Information