100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: Which is the biggest collapse in sports history?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Van de Velde 1999

17 58.62%
  • Yankees 2004

5 17.24%
  • Team Canada 2011

1 3.45%
  • Giants vs Eagles

2 6.90%
  • Patriots 18-1

2 6.90%
  • other

2 6.90%
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

Biggest sports choke job?

What's the biggest choke job in sports?

Jean Van de Velde
    he needed a double bogey (6) on last hole to win, he shot a (7) and lost in a playoff.

Yankees vs Boston 2004 ALCS
    Up 3 games to 0, then lost 4 straight.

Team Canada - WHJC 2011
    3-0 in third period of gold medal game, lost 5-3!

NYGiants vs Eagles 2010
    Had a 21 point lead with 7:28 to play, lost by 7, lost the division, and didn't make the playoffs as a result.

NE Patriots 2007
    18-0 entering Super Bowl, lost to G-men.

Other?

I'm going to Jean Van de V. It's the only choke job that is a verb in the dictionary. "I Van de Velded that hole".

Runner up, Giants - Eagles game.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Thumbs down Van De Velde

By far Van De Velde, he was a total idiot, his brain wasn't working, who knows what the hell he was thinking. I have watched that video of his choke 20 times and still can't understand what the hell he was thinking. His is the biggest choke because it essentially ruined his career, he did nothing after that. He has tried resurrecting his career 3 times and every time he hasn't gotten anywhere near the success or the game he once had. Van De Velde = Biggest Choke Ever!!!

Last edited by Break68; 01-06-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: typo
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Van de Melt.
    also...
    Greg Norman at the '96 Masters.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    What about the Boston Bruins in last year's playoffs? Up 3-0 against the Flyers (who had NO goaltending), and lose 4-3.

I didn't watch last night's game, as I've never been interested in the World Juniors. However, remember that these are kids, whereas the rest of the choices are adults and professionals.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Van De Velde. Runner up is the Yankees.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    What about the Boston Bruins in last year's playoffs? Up 3-0 against the Flyers (who had NO goaltending), and lose 4-3.
    What's worse is that they were 3-0 up in game 7 and still lost.

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63 View Post
    I didn't watch last night's game, as I've never been interested in the World Juniors. However, remember that these are kids, whereas the rest of the choices are adults and professionals.
    I watched and it wasn't a choke job, they are just kids and eased off the gas too much and couldn't get back to what they were doing well. Probably a result of the likes of Cherry, whining all the time about teams loading up the score and embarrassing their opponents.

5 Wood leafman is on a distinguished road leafman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill View Post
    What's worse is that they were 3-0 up in game 7 and still lost.

I watched and it wasn't a choke job, they are just kids and eased off the gas too much and couldn't get back to what they were doing well. Probably a result of the likes of Cherry, whining all the time about teams loading up the score and embarrassing their opponents.
    It's basically the same as the Boston scenario you just described but worse, I don't think Boston blew the whole lead in the 3rd. It sucks that they are just kids but they know the consequences and what is at stake when they signed up, and deserve credit for that alone but it was definately a choke job imo.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Sorry but Van de Velde did not choke. You don't choke when you go for the green with a 2 iron. Hitting it fat,chunking,shanking you name it would have been a choke.
    He made a poor decision a la la Tin Cup but he got unlucky when his ball hit the wall and went back into the water. Had that ball hit at a different angle he would been called a hero. Moreover he made a terrific putt on 18Th to take it to the playoffs.
    Call it anything but a ''choker'' would have missed that last putt on 18th by a mile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR1pkCGY80
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Moreover he made a terrific putt on 18Th to take it to the playoffs. Call it anything but a ''choker'' would have missed that last putt on 18th by a mile.
    I give him credit for finishing with a decent bunker shot and making the 5 foot putt, but he had 4 consecutive bad shots. His course management was aweful.

Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    I give him credit for finishing with a decent bunker shot and making the 5 foot putt, but he had 4 consecutive bad shots. His course management was aweful.

I agree about course management but would you say Phil choked at the US open when he hit the 3 wood out of thick rough??

Norman definitely choked.

The Pats did not choke. They tied the game within 2 minutes but somehow Manning managed to get away when he was almost down and his receiver made a terrific catch off his helmet.

I would not say the Giants choked. More poor management than choking.

Unexpected onside kick and the last punt of the game which was supposed to go out of bounds.

Would you say that the Saskatchewan Rough Riders choked 2 years ago when they had 12 men on the field on the last play of the game?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    To each their own, but I'd call awful course management a choke when we're talking about the 72nd hole.

Some people choke with a duff or skull, others watch their brains melt. IMO if there is a clear and easy finish and you do anything other than finish, you choked.

btw that's speaking from experience... I remember a time when I was leading a tournament and tried to stuff one from 240yrds onto a tight green w/ a tough pin, out only to sewer it in the trees...a couple of wedges woulda been just fine I was up a couple strokes w/ 3 to play and took a triple...if i remember correctly, I lost by a stroke.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I'm not sure Van de Velde choked. I think it all started when he got a ludicrously unlucky break from his drive. That bounce off the pipe sticking out the stand almost defied physics. Once he was there he was in real trouble. At lets not forget that is one of the toughest finishing holes in all of golf...It was Drama and he was the Tragic Fool but I'm not sure about choke.

I would say Doug Sanders missed Putt on the 18th at St.Andrews to win against Nicklaus in 1970. It is pure choke. A short short putt and he just freezes...paralysed. Then when he hits it he knows he has missed immediately and sort of walks after it almost like wanting a mulligan. It is truly painful to watch. That IMO is the biggest choke in golf.

I agree about course management but would you say Phil choked at the US open when he hit the 3 wood out of thick rough??

Norman definitely choked.

The Pats did not choke. They tied the game within 2 minutes but somehow Manning managed to get away when he was almost down and his receiver made a terrific catch off his helmet.

I would not say the Giants choked. More poor management than choking.

Unexpected onside kick and the last punt of the game which was supposed to go out of bounds.

Would you say that the Saskatchewan Rough Riders choked 2 years ago when they had 12 men on the field on the last play of the game?
    To me choking is letting your nerves mess up your performance. It's playing more poorly when victory is in your grasp because you're already planning the parade in your head. (Insert Leafs joke).

The Pats didn't really choke because the Giants were pretty good in that playoffs. The media annointed the Pats the greatest team ever before the Superbowl, so if you believe that then their loss could be seen as a choke. I don't really see it that way.

WRT the bold text, I watched that Giants Eagles game live and that is the definition of choke. The onside kick was to be expected! I was saying 'onside kick' to the tv before it happened. Even Coach Coughlin told his players to watch out for the onside kick, they didn't listen. Same thing with the punter, Coughlin tells him to punt it out of bounds and he panicked and kicked it to the best punt returner in the game. They gave up 28 points in 7 minutes. Textbook choke.

The Rough Riders game would be considered a 'brain fart'. 1 play isn't a choke imo, it has to be a series of aweful plays like a domino effect.

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I have to agree with most in saying that Van de Velde was the biggest choke. At their level, any player should be able to bogey their way in with a putter if need be. I understand that its a hard hole but he hit driver then got punished, then decided to hit a long iron instead of laying up and taking the victory... Mental breakdown, big choke!

Quote Originally Posted by HoganWoods View Post
    At their level, any player should be able to bogey their way in with a putter if need be.
    Nope. He did try though...

Scotland in December - Jean Van de Velde - Part 1
    Scotland in December - Jean Van de Velde - Part 2

I can't view that at work, he tried the 18th with his putter? What did he shoot?

He tried a few times. His best was a 6.

It's pretty funny. He's a great sport.

6 is still good for the win!

That's really cool of him to do that. I'd probably be taking JD shots after I drowned my golf clubs in the toilet.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar

Van...

You're right

Sorry but Van de Velde did not choke. You don't choke when you go for the green with a 2 iron. Hitting it fat,chunking,shanking you name it would have been a choke.
    He made a poor decision a la la Tin Cup but he got unlucky when his ball hit the wall and went back into the water. Had that ball hit at a different angle he would been called a hero. Moreover he made a terrific putt on 18Th to take it to the playoffs.
    Call it anything but a ''choker'' would have missed that last putt on 18th by a mile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dR1pkCGY80
    Chip

Add one more to the list. So sad. And such a beautiful swing.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Poor Rory. What a disaster.

I thought he conducted himself really well in the post round interview. he must have been so gutted but he didn't duck out I thought he answered really well and honestly...i have NO doubt he will have many more wins ahead of him

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Rory, I felt my heart ripping out of my chest for the poor boy.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    not as sad as a Van De Velde in my opinion. We assume that Rory will be there again and again... VanDeVelde we all kinda knew it was his one shot

did you see the list on the golf channel of Masters 54 hole leaders who shot 80 in the final round? Snead (twice), Venturi, and others I caant recall but big names...he's in pretty good company

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I was playing at Manderley on Sat with Ron Flanagaan, and during our round he asked me how I thought Rory would do. At the time I didn't know how he was doing during the third round, but I told Ron, if he does well and finishes the third round with the lead he won't sleep Sat night and have a meltdown on Sun. Leading rounds one, two and three is much different then trying to finish strong and win the tourney. Feel bad for him with all the problems starting on 10.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    It really was painful to watch because he is such a decent guy. There was a silver lining in all of this, though. If a golfer of his talent can starting hitting those kinds of shots and, better yet, putts, then none of us should feel so downcast when we experience the occasional meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I was playing at Manderley on Sat with Ron Flanagaan, and during our round he asked me how I thought Rory would do. At the time I didn't know how he was doing during the third round, but I told Ron, if he does well and finishes the third round with the lead he won't sleep Sat night and have a meltdown on Sun. Leading rounds one, two and three is much different then trying to finish strong and win the tourney. Feel bad for him with all the problems starting on 10.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Being a fellow countryman , i was really hoping he would take this tournament by the scruff and run away with it .
    But deep down inside i felt that he would struggle with the pressure from the start on Sunday .
    And i'm sure when he saw Tiger and Schwartzel move away so quick off the mark , he began to tighten up.
    I think he'll benefit from this beyond any doubt , but i don't think his caddy did enough to help him out when he needed it.
    There were a few bad decisions and the panic set in .
    He needed the right advice and IMO didn't get it and just lost it.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    "Those who don't choke have never been in a position to do so." - Tom Watson
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information