CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Question Are SMT driver legal

Are SMT drivers legal in amateur and professional tournaments. If so, why don’t we see these drivers on tour?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Are SMT drivers legal in amateur and professional tournaments. If so, why don’t we see these drivers on tour?
    The 4* and 5* SMT Deep Bore drivers are non-conforming, however, the 6,7,8,9,10, 12 are all OK. All of the other SMT heads, Nemesis, O2, Spectrum, etc., are conforming.

Victor Schwarmkopf (sp) plays the SMT Spectrum, I believe, with an Accuflex VS 339 shaft. He was the longest hitter on the Nationwide Tour last season by a gazillion yards and is currently struggling on the PGA Tour.

While the SMT line of heads is excellent, perhaps there is not yet enough profit to warrant trying to pay some name professional(s) the amount of money that they would demand, like Titleist, Callaway, Taylor Made, etc., can afford to do.

Maybe this question asked on the SMTGOLF.COM discussion forum, would get an accurate answer from Mike Tait.

Is there a big difference in distance like some say!

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Is there a big difference in distance like some say!
    I suppose that it depends a lot on the swing chartacteristics of the player and what driver that he is now using, as many of the latest OEM's are quite good. One of the weaknesses of some of the OEM's though, is the quality of the shaft that is installed at the factory. Stock shafts are not the greatest so maximum distance and accuracy may not always obtained, whereas if a golfer gets an SMT component head, the shaft that is installed by the clubmaker is usually a good one.

I have now made exactly 30 SMT drivers this season(mostly 455 Deep Bores)( maybe 31 by tomorrow) and almost without exception, the golfers have experienced some increase in distance on centre hits, and a significant increase in distance from off centre hits, particularly those towards the toe. But the greatest improvement is the increase in accuracy, regardless of where contact is made. The golfers for whom these clubs were made had handicaps ranging from about 15 to +1, some are very, very long hitters and some are mere mortals.

My last three drivers have been a Taylor Made 300(2002), SMT Nemesis(early 2003) and SMT 455 Deep Bore(later 2003 and 2004). The Nemy increased my yardage by about 10, and the Deep Bore about another 10 or so. Accuracy is up, too. I have a Spectrum as a backup, practiced with it and have played a few holes with it. Very good, just a little smaller in size(390 cc's)

Going back to courses that I previously played in tournaments or as a member, I have noticed that a good drive places me well in advance of where a good drive placed me a couple or three years ago. I still use the PROV1 ball so it's not as though I am hitting a "super long" ball versus a spin ball when making the comparison. Perhaps more significant is playing with good players who used to hit it past me, and who are now a club or two behind me. In the practice round at the recent Canadian Seniors I paired up with a top player from Cataraqui in Kingston who, when I played with him in tournaments, was always ahead of me. During the practice round last Monday, my ball was consistently, 20 to 30 yards ahead of him, and his 983 Titleist. BTW: He called me today and is coming here tomorrow to try an 8* Deep Bore.

In my Deep Bore I have use several shafts: UST Proforce 65, Graffaloy Prolite 35, Accuflex VS339, Interflexx by Tom Wishon, Aldila One Low launch,(terrible shaft) Harrison LT 2.5(I lost about 20 yards with this one) and the SK fiber Lite Revolution I. The SK Fiber is the one that has performed the best overall. When I have a few extra dollars I want to try an Aldila VS, or a Fujikura Vista, or a Graphic Design shaft.

Obviously there are other factors that could influence a distance increase, however, the Deep Bore and the SK combination, IMO, are the principal reason for my increase, and I need all the help I can get.

If you are interested in getting one, go to the SMT website and find out the relation between the degrees of loft listed and the actual loft off the clubface. For example: the Deep Bore plays about .75* higher than the listed loft, the Spectrum .25* and the Nemesis is right on. Of the three SMT drivers that I have, the Deep Bore is the longest, the Spectrum, a close second, and the Nemesis, a little farther back. The Nemesis gives a slightly lower, more driving flight, while the Spectrum and the Deep Bore launch the ball a little higher, increasing the carry distance. My Nemesis is an 8*, Spectrum 8*(8.25*) and the Deep Bore 7* (7.75*) so all are effectively within .5* of each other.

Having said all of this, I still believe very strongly in what my signature below says. I would never sacrifice a yard of distance gained for a yard of accuracy lost.

Very interesting.

I am not a very long driver compared to good amateur. I amd a 7 HDCP and I use a Ping TISI Tec 10* with a Graffaloy Prolite 35. I hit the ball approximately 270 on a soft course (No roll). I have hit my share of long balls on more normal condition courses.

I always was a longer hitter but now everybody is buying the new technology and creeping up or out driving me.

There is a lot of buzz on this site about SMT and it intrigues me very much.

You say that you build and or sell SMT drivers. If so how much?

Lets say a 455 deep bore with the same type of shaft I have now.

How can I get the write combo for my swing type? Do you have different combos available to try out?

Mike

I Just Won't Leave big easy is on a distinguished road
    Hi mberube,

I'm glad to say that next year we will probably see each others as I have decided to join Hautes Plaines.

As for the SMT drivers, these weapons really hit the ball a long way. I had one (DB455 with a Grafalloy Blue X-stiff) but unfortunately wasn't able to control the ball as mush as desired. I had a tendency to hook (not only draw) the ball. I naturally hit a draw (some call me the "draw man" instead of bigeasy) but this driver got me in trouble too often. The face is slightly closed and it really affected my game. It took me also a lot of time to get used to the size of the head. I should have probably selected the Nemesis. However, I constantly hit very long drives with this driver. About an average of 10-15 yards more than my current driver (TM 510 with Grafalloy Blue ProLaunch X-stiff). The only downside as I said was that I was too often on the left side. Nevertheless, these drivers are of very very good quality, amazing look, made to hit monster drive and cheap, depending which shaft you will decide to put in this head. Best of luck...

Welcome to Hautes Plaines. Unfortunately, I will be an inactive member next year. :cryin We are having are second child in November so I will not be playing as much to justify that amount of money for a golf next season. :shake I am taking one year to work very hard on my game. I am working with the Bertholy way to swing to club. My goal is to qualify for the Tunis in a couple of years to come. Hopefully bringing down my index as low as possible. I am stuck at a 7 at the moment.

You live in hull? I am a 5 minutes walk to golf course.

Thanks for the info.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by big easy
    Hi mberube,

I'm glad to say that next year we will probably see each others as I have decided to join Hautes Plaines.

As for the SMT drivers, these weapons really hit the ball a long way. I had one (DB455 with a Grafalloy Blue X-stiff) but unfortunately wasn't able to control the ball as mush as desired. I had a tendency to hook (not only draw) the ball. I naturally hit a draw (some call me the "draw man" instead of bigeasy) but this driver got me in trouble too often. The face is slightly closed and it really affected my game. It took me also a lot of time to get used to the size of the head. I should have probably selected the Nemesis. However, I constantly hit very long drives with this driver. About an average of 10-15 yards more than my current driver (TM 510 with Grafalloy Blue ProLaunch X-stiff). The only downside as I said was that I was too often on the left side. Nevertheless, these drivers are of very very good quality, amazing look, made to hit monster drive and cheap, depending which shaft you will decide to put in this head. Best of luck...

Even when this guy sets up for a fade the ball ends up hooking.

You live in hull? I am a 5 minutes walk to golf course.

Thanks for the info.[/QUOTE]

Mberubé. I have a 11* Nemesis offset driver. I live in your area so if you'd like to try it all you have to do is ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Mberubé. I have a 11* Nemesis offset driver. I live in your area so if you'd like to try it all you have to do is ask.

Offset is no good for me. I draw the ball.

Thanks for the offer.

I was not trying to sell the club to you. I offered you to try it so you could get a feel for a SMT head.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    I was not trying to sell the club to you. I offered you to try it so you could get a feel for a SMT head.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

Thanks for the offer but I will take arrangements with Lyle.

Mike

Putter Jkelly is on a distinguished road
    The SMT 455 4* & 5* heads are USGA conforming. I hit the 4,5 & 6* in long drive competitions. If you look at the usga conforming list they are all listed as well SMT has all left hand heads of each loft USGA certified. The 455 is a solid head distance wise it is as good as any I have ever hit. They are definetly worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkelly
    The SMT 455 4* & 5* heads are USGA conforming. I hit the 4,5 & 6* in long drive competitions. If you look at the usga conforming list they are all listed as well SMT has all left hand heads of each loft USGA certified. The 455 is a solid head distance wise it is as good as any I have ever hit. They are definetly worth a try.
    http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/clubs/2002671.jpg will show you a picture of both the conforming and non-conforming 4* and 5*, 455 Deep Bores.

Putter Jkelly is on a distinguished road
    I realize that the early versions of the 4 & 5* heads did not conform, I was just trying to point out that the new versions do. The old versions were all replaced by SMT to the customers. Sorry I should have added that in my post.

Thread Information