100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Yeah...I can relate to that. In 2002-2004, I wrote my own ERP software application (business software...accounting, inventory, sales, purchases, etc.) despite the market being saturated already. Why? Mostly because I COULD, and I was just excited to build something I'd be proud of. It never developed into what I'd hoped it would (in terms of sales) but I still don't view it as a waste of time...a lot of opportunities came out of it. Building it was an exciting venture, so I can appreciate what you're saying. And a golf simulator is a heck of a lot more exciting than accounting software!

Pitching Wedge steb is on a distinguished road
    It always seems a shame to have access to hundreds of quality Links 2003 courses for free or next to nothing, and no simulator to use them on. If the source for Links 2003 was available I think I'd seriously look at doing something.

The problem with everything I read about commercially available simulators is that they're just not accurate enough. The FullSwing simulators were a complete let down when I played them. I want to play golf and improve my golf while playing on them, not change my game to play on them. I don't want a video game experience.

Sensors are easy to do but just aren't accurate enough. Radar gets a bit heavy without high-speed ADCs and custom processing hardware. High-speed cameras show the most promise IMO, especially as they are becoming so cheap.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    Not sure if the simulators are not accurate enough! I fear that it is me more than the the simulator that lacks accuracy
    Also remember that it is a simulation and therefor will never be like the real thing.

But yes the graphics on the golf simulators are disappointing when you compare to some of the games out there.

If I remember right the Links 2003 used photos as the background? so if that got displayed on a HD screen is might also be lacking?

Links 2003 had rendered (3D) terrain but photographic trees and objects. The developers continued on and became TruGolf, which makes the E6 software now (which has a full 3D terrain and object engine, although I think their "lite" version still uses 2D trees/objects...it's probably essentially an updated version of Links 2003).

Actually the graphics don't bother me too much. The widescreen, hi-res hacks and resulting hires courses that used them on Links more than satisfied me on a 150" projector screen.

From memory E6 was developed from a very early version of Links. The source for Links 2003 was 'mysteriously' lost, something so unbelievable that a few believe Electronic Arts with their Tiger Woods games paid the current owners of it to lose it.

The E6 software on the FullSwing simulators I thought was fine too, it was their lack of spin measurement that destroyed the experience.

That sounds odd on the source code being lost...I'd never heard that. There's a group that still puts out updated versions of Links 2003 (http://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-2003-v107) so they must have some source code to work with.

So have you used the E6 software much? I'm still contemplating whether to buy it, but I want to make sure it's as good as it looks in the demo videos and screenshots before I spend that much.

Thanks rdh, did not know it was still developed.
    Still have the original disk just no computer to put in a 3 1/2" floppy disk!

Sorry it is links 99 I have with a floppy disk install

The Links community is still alive as it's ball flight model is loved. The version linked above is a collection of hacks to the software, giving it hi-res and widescreen support amongst other things. The source wasn't available despite many people trying to track it down.

I've only used the E6 software for the single 2 hour session because the overall experience didn't get me rushing back. Plus we mainly played rather than exploring the options. The hardware was clearly responsible for our lack of interest in it however. The software seemed ok, however it was extremely frustrating hitting into the woods and trying to get out. We chose to abort the game and play at St Andrews instead.

Lob Wedge d_b is on a distinguished road
    I know this is an old thread, but I am looking into building something with an arduino and some IR sensors. if anyone fancies collaborating then PM me, or reply to the thread.

Putter GHop is on a distinguished road

What's the status?

So, experiments with hardware so far have proven too slow in data collection, there's concern about the realism of the courses that would need created, and we're not going to reverse engineer anything. Is that about it? If so, should we focus on creating the hardware to be able to track the club and ball ( sensors and video ) and rather than create all the courses find a good way to integrate with the latest Tiger Woods games that use the Kinect? BTW, if programming support is needed I'll help.

With the Optishot at $399 including pretty good courses I think it does not make too much sense to start a open source golf simulator based on IR sensors.
    Unless there is some new ides involved?
    Could be wrong but think it will need both club and ball data to generate interest?

I for one would be interested in a open source project aiming for club and ball data.

I had an Optishot, which I quite liked but for some reason sold it. I now want something to analyse my swing speed & club path. I've built a small prototype based on IR technology which seems to be pretty accurate for my needs. The device does not use the relfective method of the Optishot, but a speedgate.

From the data provided I will simulate a "range" based on a simple physics engine.

When this is working correctly I will attempt to massage the data into Links 2003.

I dont think there is much point in spending time and effort trying to replicate courses and I dont have the skill to create a competitor to anything that is commercially available. Im really just trying to do something that will keep me busy over the winter while hopefully give me some idea about my swing.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    What exactly does i measure? ow accurate? What is a speedgate? Any pics?

hi, sorry for the delay in getting back... well a speedgate is similar to a trip wire it takes readings when an object passes through it and breaks a beam of light. This is sensitive to the millisecond and I will have a prototype working today which will measure swing speed. I am also looking at a method of detecting launch angle, which will also be very accurate but also quite simple. once I have verified the data from these I will then look at swing path and finally spin on the ball - but I think that measuring spin could be difficult.

Good luck db. Keep us posted.

hi Guys. just a quick update, I have the clubhead speed accurately measured using a very simple but effective method at a cost under 20euros. I will have ball speed by next week and maybe also launch angle...then a break for Christmas.

Good work db. How are you verifying its accurate?

Thread Information