100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road

Open Source Golf Simulator

Let hear some ideas on how to build a golf simulator and the skills needed.

Hardware, software, components, IR emitters/detectors, LA cameras, Design, math, Ball flight, programming, interface, courses, GSA, etc..etc..anything that we might need or want.

I have a background in electronics and I'm very good with a soldering iron.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    So Zmax could you put together some sensor hardware? Need a good programmer for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    So Zmax could you put together some sensor hardware? Need a good programmer for sure.
    Yes, if we had schematics and the components, I can put it together. But before that, we would need to decide on what kind of IR sensor we want. Reflective or shadow?

Start small with basic object detectors than move up to object face detection, and so on.

Somebody might have already built part of what we're looking for so that we can just build upon it.

9 Iron Dave W is on a distinguished road
    would it be possible to take a peak at the one you own and modify it to handle the launch package. You need any help with mechanical ability for making anything i can help but for software and electronics cant help on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
    would it be possible to take a peak at the one you own and modify it to handle the launch package. You need any help with mechanical ability for making anything i can help but for software and electronics cant help on that.
    It would have been a piece of cake to add launch to GSA if we had the source code. As for the P3pro hardware, I believe it's illegal to try to reverse engineer it.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Have you looked at the Kinect Open Source stuff? http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

9 Iron Dave W is on a distinguished road
    (I believe it's illegal to try to reverse engineer it )

I wont tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Have you looked at the Kinect Open Source stuff? http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Thanks, I'll take a look, perhaps northgolf can help in this area.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Let's keep discussion here to legal endevors please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
    (I believe it's illegal to try to reverse engineer it )

I wont tell.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Lob Wedge TheFonz is on a distinguished road
    As far as sensors, it might be a good idea to look at something like the Full Swing Golf infrastructure. They have been using the same technology since their beginning (which is well over 20yrs old!). So their OEM parts must be dirt cheap...

The only issue I can think of with mocking their entire setup is I hear they actually have reached a bit of a dilemma since their PC interface is via the old ISA slot (still) and not sure how to migrate to something more current without breaking functionality. Not to mention they have made a killing with this older technology...

5 Iron chasiv is on a distinguished road
    Ask Dancing Dogg if it's illegal to try to reverse engineer it They know all about it.. LOL

http://www.p3proswing.com/news/P3Pro...it_victory.htm

What exactly was the "victory" ?

3 Wood northgolf is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    What exactly was the "victory" ?
    The only one I know of is that Dancing Dogg can not tell their customer's to tape their clubs.

Putter nyb72 is on a distinguished road
    Just joined this forum... what an amazing resource with all the knowledge present.

I too would be interested in a project such as this. I could lend a hand with some programming skills.

Just curious, has anyone been able to capture the serial stream for a P3Pro? Would it have enough information that you would be looking for so that you could potentially hook it up with an LA camera and integrate all the data with a course pack?

The LA device that they have works well. It picks up the LA in the P3pro program. The problem is that they have not allowed the GSA courses to get these numbers in their integration program.

Quote Originally Posted by nyb72 View Post
    Just joined this forum... what an amazing resource with all the knowledge present.

I too would be interested in a project such as this. I could lend a hand with some programming skills.

Just curious, has anyone been able to capture the serial stream for a P3Pro? Would it have enough information that you would be looking for so that you could potentially hook it up with an LA camera and integrate all the data with a course pack?
    Can't really do much with the P3pro without the source code or SDK. Also, they might sue us just by talking about it.

You think you can write a program to calculate LA from a snapshot or video from a PS3eye web cam?

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    You own the P3pro you can ues the output for what ever you like. Just like you do not have to keep windows on a PC just because it came with it.
    What you can't do is change or copy the software or hardware and then sell it.

I would offer my help with trying to make a cam based LA would be nice to have a open source LA it could be the start!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    If you folks want to discuss creating your own open source simulator software, fill your boots.

This forum's policy is that discussions of reverse engineering a product against it's EULA are not permitted here.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Sand Wedge ProTee is on a distinguished road ProTee's Avatar
    Maybe I can help. I like the idea of an open source golf simulator.
    Visit our website for more details on our Golf Simulator products (http://www.protee-united.com).

Pitching Wedge Vicoz2009 is on a distinguished road
    What an interesting thread, has it lost its momentum? I was thinking of creating some sort of LA using an arduino board and sensors such as sonar or these sharp analog distance sensors: http://littlebirdelectronics.com/pro...ensor-20-150cm

Not sure how quickly they can pick up a ball however.

Another idea is if the sensor itself is the impact screen, you know where the ball starts (eg a spot on the mat which a sensor can pick up) and the spot where the ball hits the screen (via photo, grid sensors, etc). Calculate the trajectory and time between the two. Problem with this is that the screen and mat can't be displaced (flapping of the screen is ok).

Added info (6 Jul): the impact screen might not be a good option for chips with short ball flight (ie it is already on its way down when it hits the screen) as it relies on straight trajectory shots only.
    Last edited by Vicoz2009; 07-05-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: update

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    This is a fun topic, but not sure it's all that feasible. From what Martin has said to me many times, margins are very thin in this industry and it's hard even for the well-established companies to make a go of it (case in point...Golftek shutting down). I think prices have come down so much on some of the systems out there that I doubt there's much to be saved or earned by trying to create a new system at this point.

It is a fun topic though. I'd love to have a career focused on these sorts of technologies. When I got the news about Golftek, I said to my wife that if I was in the position to do it, this would be an amazing opportunity to try to buy the company's assets and intellectual property and hit the ground running.

I did play around with a arduino mega board and the sharp sensors. It is too slow!

Maybe if you make a array of them offset in timing you can get a return every time.
    Also not strong enough return signal from a foam ball! At least not the ones I used at that time.

Think that Rdh is right when he says that with the DD out there for less than $400 it is going to be hard to make something. Also do not forget that the software will be the hardest to produce.
    That said next year I would be game to help work on a project.
    You can get the sensors cheaper from www.pololu.com.
    The arduino is a great chip and the arduino forum members are very helpful.

Rdh: Did think it would be interesting for you to go for the Golftek company.

Rdh: that is true about competitiveness in this market, although I am hoping the topic would lean more towards something free, customisable, etc. Perhaps something similar to the R/C sims group where you can download free simulator software and you can make / buy your own controls.

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    I did play around with a arduino mega board and the sharp sensors. It is too slow!

Maybe if you make a array of them offset in timing you can get a return every time.
    Also not strong enough return signal from a foam ball! At least not the ones I used at that time. ..
    That's great to hear that you've tried with that sensor. Saved me some work.

RDH and Syhlif32, what do you think about the use of optical fibers strung onto either a camera or sensors.
    The optical fibers are small enough to be embedded into the mat itself but thinner than having IR sensors, more can be placed along side each other.
    If it is possible to gather all fibers to one camera then its a matter of assessing the change of a region in the image to get the location it crossed. One method might be to flood the fibers constantly with IR light and watch for "shadows".

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    You can get the sensors cheaper from www.pololu.com...
    Thanks for the link!

You shouldn't give it up that fast.
    Could very well be a way to make them respond faster!
    I am very rusty with electronic by now.

See www.eswinggolf.com
    They have at least a prototype up running that is fast enough to measure the club speed if I read the info correctly?
    They might be using faster responding sensors! which I have never been able to locate.

In the end it does not matter how many sensors you have if you do not develop software that can make sense out of the readings.

I am kind of waiting for somebody to start a project as I would like to help but do not have the skills to head up a project.

syhlif: I won't give up just yet, I found posts on how to track a ball using a webcam and I think i'll go in that direction for now, but it won't track the club though.
    You're right about the software

I would love to have a go at creating a direct 3d game but have no clue about where to start. I can code ok but never taken on writing a simple one. Anybody have any experience in writing a simple direct 3d game?

anyone? Beuller ... beuller?

Bogie pingB is on a distinguished road
    There is a massive amount of code involved in building an engine and the world builder and all of that. You are better off going with an engine already built. Unreal has released theirs free to use if you don't make a ton of money. It's called the UDK. It's probably the best engine out there but it's a decent learning curve. Another really good one is called Torque www.garagegames.com. It's not free but it's made by an indie company and is actually really good and you don't have to fork up money if you actually made money with it. I think with the UDK you have to give them 25% if you make over 50k but for indie developers it's still a good deal because 50k is a long way off for most of them.

7 Iron readygolf is on a distinguished road

I read that Dancin Dogg (aka Optishot; changed their name after they lost a lawsuit

Last edited by readygolf; 02-23-2012 at 08:01 AM.

good point about reinventing the wheel but like for all other things such as cars or toothpaste we like options, and in some cases the geek in us just want to try it out ourselves.

Thread Information