CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    I think you are making a smart choice Blackfire. I wish I had the money to buy the GC2 as well. I think for the camera based sims as well as launch monitors, the GC2 is the clear winner. Just wish I could afford it .

Sand Wedge pboon is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfire View Post
    I agree with you also,

Protee is probably the choice I would've made if my budget would've been around 5000$ and I realy think that it's accurate.

But like we've been talking, I can afford the GC2 I just have to be alitle bit more patiente as I will have to wait 3 or 4 months more just for the unit and an other 3 to 4 months for software and 15 courses and an other year for the club cam add on and an other 20 courses.

I'm welling to wait more but again some people would never be able to get that mutch money and then yes protee is a very good choice as well.
    I hear you bud, I would buy the GC2 myself but its just parting that much money for technology that still could use refinement.

I could fork over a 40K unit, but to me I rather put that money towards a nice car that will drive me to a country club that my wife, kiddo, and I could enjoy. I could use some fresh air!

Good point pboon as I am planning on getting a sports car this summer. Maybe I should get an About golf sim instead .

blackfire
    Quote Originally Posted by pboon View Post
    I hear you bud, I would buy the GC2 myself but its just parting that much money for technology that still could use refinement.

I could fork over a 40K unit, but to me I rather put that money towards a nice car that will drive me to a country club that my wife, kiddo, and I could enjoy. I could use some fresh air!
    We're not in the same situation:

I live in canada with 6 months winter, and at least one month of rain. My wife do not play golf and my kid is only 3 years old.

having a very accurate system where I can rely on the ball flight with almost no douth is important for me. I will probably be playing at least as mutch as outside and maybe more as I will have information that the system will tell me that I can't have outside unless I bring My GC2 with me.

Here's the data that the rep from GC2 gived me for the club CAM add on:
    path, attack, velocity, face angle, loft, lie and impact location.
    better then all the other sensor pad

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Yep - these things have great value in Canada with our limited golf season. I used my simulator far more in 2010 than I played actual rounds. I enjoyed it AND improved my game significantly. I haven't had time to use it the past few months but look forward to that changing - I've never for a minute regretted the money I spent on it.

blackfire
    me either

Even if I'm ending spending 20K to get the base unit, club add on and courses I'm ready an don't think I will regret it

You won't regret it Blackfire. You are getting a top quality product so be confident in your decision and go for it.

blackfire
    I think I will stop around 14K with 2 courses packages and yes for the first time in too years of research I feel confident.

We do get sunshine here if Texas. However with work and all, I just don't have the time to play on weekdays. Plus with the time changes during the fall and winter seasons, it gets dark by the time I get home which is around 5:30ish.

I, myself have a 3 yr old and a wife picking up the game. My daughter doesn't play golf but loves playing in the sand traps. So i do not get to play as much and game goes out of sync real fast.

Anyways, 40k is a lot of dinero for some, GC2 doable and well worth the investment. Its nice you don't have to specify club and the system knows right away. That's like real golf right? Grab a club and rip it and watch to ball take off. No tinkering with club selection, ball type. Plus you get to tweak your golf clubs to optimize your shots as well as drop various balls into the sim, spank them and instantly know what ball fits best for your game.

Agreed pboon. Just depends on your pricepoint and what one can afford. Give us a review after you pick it up.

blackfire
    whaiting for your review pboon

whaiting for your review pboon

Sorry guys,

I would if I could. The GC2 would be sitting in my closet. I have no space to swing a driver at my home. Even my garage is too small and my basement has 8ft ceilings.
    DD has been acceptable at this time since I am able to "Tin Cup" my swing using a 3 iron without creating a signature in the ceiling.

blackfire
    to bad,

will do my review in august I hope

8 Iron kwantfm is on a distinguished road
    We're not in the same situation:

I live in canada with 6 months winter, and at least one month of rain. My wife do not play golf and my kid is only 3 years old.

having a very accurate system where I can rely on the ball flight with almost no douth is important for me. I will probably be playing at least as mutch as outside and maybe more as I will have information that the system will tell me that I can't have outside unless I bring My GC2 with me.

Here's the data that the rep from GC2 gived me for the club CAM add on:
    path, attack, velocity, face angle, loft, lie and impact location.
    better then all the other sensor pad
    Given that this will measure both path and attack I'm wondering if the GC2 will also calculate the 2-D D-plane equivalent?

Kwantfm, I understand the D plane but explain to us what the 2-D D-plane equivalent is?

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Kwantfm, I understand the D plane but explain to us what the 2-D D-plane equivalent is?
    Brian Manzella explains it better than I do... on a YouTube entitled "The Essential D-Plane".

According to all of the Trackman info you can have a 0* (i.e. straight to the target) club path but this will only be truly meaningful when the angle of attack is zero (level to the ground). If you have a descending angle of attack (typical of a good iron strike) then the effect is that the effective clubpath is to the inside out. Manzella demonstrates this by taking a swing with Trackman showing zero face angle, zero clubpath, negative angle of attack resulting in a hook with a mid iron.

From what I've seen it's not enough to have the angle of attack and horizontal club path separately. You need them combined so that you can make appropriate changes to swing alignments to get the initial ball flight and subsequent spin properties correct. I'm thinking that the number that Trackman spits out is a simple trigonometric combination of angle of attack and club path but haven't done the math yet.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    Manzella demonstrates this by taking a swing with Trackman showing zero face angle, zero clubpath, negative angle of attack resulting in a hook with a mid iron.
    I'm having a tough time with this. Was this just the results within trackman or was it verified on the range also?

I can see maybe a 1 yard draw, but a hook?

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    I'm having a tough time with this. Was this just the results within trackman or was it verified on the range also?

I can see maybe a 1 yard draw, but a hook?
    He was on the range with Trackman... so fully verified. The YouTube (although 40 minutes long) is definitely worth watching IMO.

blackfire
    kwantfm

Can you post the link

Quote Originally Posted by kwantfm View Post
    He was on the range with Trackman... so fully verified. The YouTube (although 40 minutes long) is definitely worth watching IMO.
    I'll watch the video when I get a chance, but how much of a hook was it?

Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    I too am having trouble with this. I can see a scenario that might explain some of the hook/draw action. The clubface angle could be square with reference to the leading edge of the head, but the shaft angle could have flattened out producing a toe up condition at impact thereby creating draw/hooking action. This will be more pronounced with clubs with more loft than long or mid irons.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

blackfire
    I don't realy understand maybe because I'm french but is track man's good with this thing or not

kwantfm

Can you post the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepMzddHpas

apologies should have posted the link in the first place...

blackfire
    sorry but for my self I don't know probably my english is'nt good enough but I did'nt realy understand byt hey I have planty of time to lurn as i'm just playing for too years

I just watched the video. I get now what is being described. Trackman references everything to the target line, i.e. swing path, clubface angle. What contributes to sidespin will be the relative difference between the face angle in relation to the club path. Another contribution to sidespin is his term D-plane. A descending blow will contact the ball with the club inside of the position of the point where the club would be if the contact was perfectly level. This is what he refers to as the horizontal swing plane, i.e. picture the camera being positioned perfectly plumb above the golf ball and only able to see the horizontal projection of the arc of the swing as a shadow on the ground. It's on the arc inside the perfect target line if the swing hasn't bottomed out when ball contact occurs. Therefore, you will get draw/hook spin depending upon how steep the angle of descent into ball is at contact. Face angle relative to club path contributes about 85 percent to the initial ball direction, club path about 15 percent. Side spin is increased/decreased by the relative difference between clubpath and face angle. Sidespin is actually taking the horizontal component of how far the vertical axis of the golf ball has been influenced by the blow delivered to the golf ball.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

I watch the video and I understand what he is talking about, but I still have a problem with the hook part, especially with a mid iron. His effective launch of 18 deg does make it possible but could somebody explain the features of the trackman to me? It calculates club face angle at impact?

Data gathered by TrackMan Range

Ball Speed
    Launch Angle
    Launch Direction
    Spin Rate
    Spin Axis
    Max Height
    Landing Angle
    Carry
    Carry Side
    Total Distance
    Total Side

TrackMan Pro data gathered on every shot

Club Speed
    Attack Angle
    Club Path
    Swing Plane
    Swing Direction
    Dynamic Loft*
    Spin Loft*
    Face Angle*

Ball Speed
    Launch Angle
    Launch Direction
    Spin Axis
    Spin Rate
    Smash Factor
    Height
    Carry
    Side
    Total*
    Side Total*
    Landing Angle
    Hang Time
    Last Data

* Calculated Data

ZMax:

The Trackman references it's data to the aim point of the machine, i.e to the target. One must decipher the relative difference between club path and face angle to get a better picture of hook/slice spin and initial ball direction.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

Quote Originally Posted by fhann View Post
    ZMax:

The Trackman references it's data to the aim point of the machine, i.e to the target. One must decipher the relative difference between club path and face angle to get a better picture of hook/slice spin and initial ball direction.
    Something tells me his clubface might not have been so square.

His club face was square to the target line, but not to his club path at impact and that gave him hook spin. At impact, he was descending his blow, his path hadn't reached the apex of the curve in the horizontal plane. Therefore, his relationship between his club-path and club-face at impact was in a closed/shut position, consequently he induced hook spin.
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

I had a quick think about this (haven't done maths in about twenty years so please feel free to correct if you see an issue)... the D-plane vector that Manzella describes seems to me to be something equivalent to:
    COSINE (swing plane angle) * (angle of descent) + (horizontal plane line)

Unfortunately I don't get quite the right numbers from this but this calculation gives me:
    COSINE (54*) * (5.1*) + 0.2* = approximately 3.2* inside out.

I think that Manzella tells us that Trackman reckons he is 3.8* inside out.

I was thinking that the GC2 might be a very effective (and much less costly) alternative to Trackman. I'm now thinking that there is one weakness to GC2 with club data and that is it does not measure swing plane angle and you can see that I think this is critical in measuring D-plane.

Having said that you obviously get the ball data as well but unfortunately this is one level removed from the swing data that I want to be working with.

Make sense?

Thread Information