CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tempo Trouble

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road

Tempo Trouble

Recently I have been spraying the ball in every conceivable direction. I hit it solid but go from hook to slice to draw to fade to pull to push. I think I've even managed to invent some shots never before seen.
    I think it's mostly due to poor tempo, does anyone have any suggestions?

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    I was recently told that tempo issues can be addressed by doing the "feet together" drill. Basically stand in a regular golf stance, but with your heels together. Using a wedge, take a regular swing. If you swing too fast, you'll feel a loss of balance. If you swing too slow, you'll be uncomfortable, but at least you should be hitting straight.

I'm no expert though...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road

Solution

Go out and buy a book called Tour Tempo. It comes with a cd that you can use at the range. I loaded the tracks on my mp3 player. I know it sounds corny, but trust me on this one...it'll easily be the best $40 you'll ever spend on golf. I've been using it for a couple of months now and my ball striking has improved dramatically. I get a nice 'thwack' when I hit the ball and have developed a controllable draw with all my clubs. My distance has increased by 10 yards per club and my accuracy is consistent. That being said, my scores have dropped from mid 90's to mid 80's. I know some people reading this are saying 'yeah right'. If you don't believe me read some of the online reviews. Proper tempo is something that could never be taught until now and is the holy grail to PGA players.

There are also a couple of drills in the book that I haven't tried out yet, but intend to work on them throughout the winter. I've been told by friends that they are really helpful.

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road

tour tempo

A good read is a book called 'Tour Tempo' by John Novosel. At the very least, it is an interesting read (also not a very long book). The assertion is that all tour players swing in a 3:1 ratio, with 3 representing the time to get from the start of the takeaway to the backswing:downswing transition, and the 1 representing the time to go from transition to impact.

It also shows how to apply this cadence to your own swing. I have only had the book for about a month, but for what its worth, I've had some decent ball striking rounds since then...

amac

Note: I sent this note at the same time as 'laxgolf's note. Great minds think alike??

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr shank
    Recently I have been spraying the ball in every conceivable direction. I hit it solid but go from hook to slice to draw to fade to pull to push. I think I've even managed to invent some shots never before seen.
    I think it's mostly due to poor tempo, does anyone have any suggestions?
    If you are like me and don't read golf books (waste of time), I'd suggest using Broken27's drill. To hit straight shots, you have to have balance throughout the swing. Start with wedges and work your way towards mid-irons. Usually, after hitting one bucket of balls using this drill you will notice a difference when taking a "regular" swing. One point though, don't try to hit the ball hard during this drill. It's practise and you are looking for accuracy.....

7 Iron laxgolf is on a distinguished road

Tempo

To each his own, but make sure that you don't swing too slowly which is a problem alot of people have because they're told to slow down their swing by playing partners who don't have a clue how to properly hit a ball. You have to learn to swing within yourself and that can be a fine line to walk.

Also keep in mind that proper fundamentals are necessary. For that see Hogan's 5 Fundamentals.

I'm very skeptical when it comes to golf books and aides but Tour Tempo is the real deal. In a backwards sort of way it helps with your overall swing by subconsiously having you clear out your swing thoughts while focusing on the series of beeps while hitting a ball. Eventually the proper tempo is ingrained in your mellon and your brain takes over while you hit the purest shots you've ever hit because you're thinking about nothing else but the task at hand. I get so focused at the range that I don't really realize how well I'm hitting the ball until after my session is over.

2 Iron yun is on a distinguished road

Where can I find this?

Hey,
    Where can I find Tour Tempo? Just at Chapters? Mebbe i'll give this a try. I find that I really fall prey to getting too quick in my swing sometimes... usually causing my shots to leak right. Thanks

Yun

5 Wood amac is on a distinguished road

Tour Tempo

not sure if it is at a Chapters store (probably), but I ordered mine from Chapters.ca, and it came a couple of business days later.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amac
    not sure if it is at a Chapters store (probably), but I ordered mine from Chapters.ca, and it came a couple of business days later.
    Yes, it is available at Chapters.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Tour Tempo ruined my swing!

Quote Originally Posted by laxgolf
    Also keep in mind that proper fundamentals are necessary...I'm very skeptical when it comes to golf books and aides but Tour Tempo is the real deal.
    IMHO, the theory has merit but the author's contention that Tour Tempo is the secret to better golf for everyone does not. The Y and L drills are good, but the author's belief that they are all you need to know about swing mechanics is an over-simplification at best. The CD only includes three tempos (27/9, 24/8 and 21/7) and explains that EVERYONE should fit into one of these three - even though they list many pros who do not EXACTLY fit into one of these ratios.

I bought Tour Tempo about 6 weeks ago, based on the rave reviews it was getting on the GEA. At the time I was playing some of my best golf and my handicap was gradually going down with each game. Figured this would help take me to the next level.

I was VERY sceptical about the advice that Tour Tempo will speed up my swing. My instructors have ALWAYS told me I need to slow down - especially on the downswing. Most people on the GEA stated that the Tour Tempo beats seemed way too fast - even at the slowest 27/9 tempo. Not to me - only 21/7 seemed quick. That should have been my first clue.

At first, things seemed to go well and it was kind of liberating to clear my mind of swing thoughts and just concentrate on the beeps. I was not getting extra yardage but I seemed to get more consistent contact. I could not quite get comfortable with any of the tempos however - I think I needed to be at 26/9 or 25/8. That should have been my second clue.

As I practiced more and more with Tour Tempo, I noticed that all my bad habits that I THOUGHT I had gotten rid of were gradually creeping back into my swing. I was no longer paying attention to swing mechanics, so over-swinging, casting, OTT, the upper body dive - it was all coming back to me now. In the last couple of weeks, I have played my worst golf of the last two years - at least 10 strokes over my index (and I need decent putting and short game to do that well!) I'm now going to the range every day and getting two large buckets, working on swing mechanics and re-learning all my swing keys - and it's SLOWLY coming back. But what a disaster!

I'm now hearing similar sob stories on the FGI and TGC forums, although the majority still think Tour Tempo is great. My theory is that if you are an experienced, low-handicap golfer with solid swing fundamentals but struggle with getting into a consistent rhythm and tempo, then Tour Tempo can be useful for you. For us regular hacks, it probably does more harm than good IMHO. So approach with caution.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Thanks for the tip - I've managed to borrow Tour Tempo, so I'll give that a try & see what happens.
    Thanks again for the tips, I'm playing Mississippi tomorrow so hopefully I'll have righted things by then.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    I too have got my hands on tour tempo and the accompanying CD. I'm treating it as a little experiment. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Most people on the GEA stated that the Tour Tempo beats seemed way too fast - even at the slowest 27/9 tempo. Not to me - only 21/7 seemed quick.
    So far I noticed that too. Only 21/7 seems fast! I'm still experimenting with it but I do find the beeps a little annoying and once I had programmed the 24/8 track into my mind and took the headphones off I did a lot better.

I think with all the beeping etc., it disturbs my preshot routine and makes me rush my actual shot. I got a little extra yardage and a little better accuracy (with the headphones off), but sometimes I would totally miss-hit the ball.

Still early days though, i'm going to stick with it over the next few weeks to see if I get any lasting improvement.

Thread Information