CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

2 drivers in the bag?

One of my drivers has an open face and I hit a nice fade with it, works great on fairways that go right. The other driver has a closed face, works great on fairways that go left if I want to hit a draw. I'm not skilled enough (yet) to hit a draw or fade with the same club, so I'm thinking of carrying both sticks in my bag next year and leaving the 3 iron at home until my driver skills improve. I rarely use the 3-iron anyway.

Does anyone carry two drivers in their bag?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You mean other than Phil Mickelson?
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Mickelson most famously carried 2 drivers in his bag while winning the 2006 Masters because he had one he could draw and one he could fade. He was experimenting leading up to that tournament and found he didn't have to change his swing, just the club, to get the result he wanted so he carried them both. He won the Bell South tourney the week before the Masters by a lot (I think 10 strokes) with two drivers in the bag and so he kept them both in the bag for Augusta. He has since done it a few more times, but never in a major although he did play the first round of the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines in 2008 without any driver in his bag, just a 3 wood. That didn't work out so well.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    I have enough trouble trying to keep one setup in the fairway...no point in further aggravating myself. Plus with my club hoing that could get really expensive with buying two drivers every time I find something I like.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I think Ian Woosnam did it too....but just for one hole..and he didn't know about it...lol

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Does anyone carry two drivers in their bag?
    Not now, but I have in the past, one to hit the ball high and the other low.

It IS a great idea if it accomplishes what you want, but keep in mind that there is a trade off in that you have one club less to use for some kind of shot that may be advantageous to your game.

7 Iron rtto5588 is on a distinguished road
    I was thinking of keeping two drivers in the bag next year. When one misbehaves I can toss it in the water and out comes the second!

To be honest, it's a good strategy if you have room in the bag. I thought Mickelson was pretty smart by doing it as it means it's the same repeatable swing all the time.

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    i carry two drivers for most of the summer ... the longer S flex graphite shafted 9.5* and the good ol' trusted slightly shorter R flex steel shafted 10.5* ..... when i'm confident swing is under control and i'm warmed up after a few holes then i'll pull out the graphite for those all important extra 20-25 yards. windy days i use mostly the steel. depends on situation,course,fwy width,swing and confidence level which one i use. no fwy woods, 2 hybrids (3-4),5 irons (5-9),4 wedges (pgsl) and a putter. when i do leave a driver in the trunk then i'll carry either a 3wd or a 2 hybrid....depending on the course and wind conditions.
    if i could only putt !!

Ace Travis is on a distinguished road
    I carry 2 drivers. I have a 12 deg Ping G10 and a 7.5 deg Ping G10. Depending on how my game is going dictates which one i play with more so than the relative width of the fairway.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I have been just starting to play with two drivers in the bag. I have my 907 which I have had for the last couple years and it gives me a nice fade. My new one I just picked up the ZL gives me about 30 yards more on avg and is straight as an arrow (provided my swing is in check)

I have been using both in the same game depending on the hole though probably before the end of the season I will drop the 907.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I used to always carry 2 drivers...one for a draw and the other for a fade. Now I just carry one for the most part(I lost my draw)...

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I remember when I started to play a nice draw.... then it started to quickly turn into a HUUUGE hook. I am happy I have lost it completely. I am happy w/ straight for the time being......

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    30 yards longer......should have charged you more for it. I knew the shaft in it was good for you.
    Proud member of the 2010, 2011 ,2012 OG vs TGN RYDER CUP
    Captain of 2012 Team OG Ryder Cup Champions!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rtto5588 View Post
    I was thinking of keeping two drivers in the bag next year. When one misbehaves I can toss it in the water and out comes the second!
    Or you can hand the second a beating so the first knows what will happen if it keeps it up

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I was playing in a tournament and on the 7th hole my friend who had trouble hitting his driver all day, hook his drive and without blinking throws his driver about 50 yards behind the tee in the bush. Jump in his cart and away we go. On the next tee he pulls out another driver... never laugh some much... we were still talking about this today even if it happens 2 or 3 years ago. We were wondering if it is still in the bush...
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Thread Information