CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Brantford Golf and Country Club

Had the pleasure of playing the Brantford Golf and Country Club this week in the Canadian Senior Amateur Championship and among other things, gained an appreciation for what it takes for a golf course to be top ranked, as this one is.(23rd) While we have a number of good courses in the area, only the Royal Ottawa made the top 100(76th).

The Brantford club demands that every shot you hit be controlled. A drive 10 yards off line, easily leads to a bogey or worse, an iron placed on the wrong spot on the green means a teacherous downhill putt that requires the the softest touch that you can muster. Beautiful rolling terrain with elevation changes of 100 feet, huge mature trees, deep bunkers placed exactly where a missed shot lands and pin locations that require precise contact. Distance is not a requirement and yet there are par fours in the 450 yard range. But, it is a very fair test of golf.

The RCGA showed us seniors no mercy whatsoever in the setup of the course, tucking pins and having the green speed running at 12 to 12.5 on the Stimpmeter.(Augusta National was 11.7 to 12.2 for the Masters.) This was appropriate as it was a national championship, and it resulted in the best players contending at the end.

What a great golf course and what a great experience!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself on what sounds like a challenging course. Congratulations on makiing the cut and playing well. Someday you've got to tell me how easy or how tough it is to qualify for the seniors. I wouldn't mind giving it a try next year. It's scheduled for a course in Sherbrooke.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself on what sounds like a challenging course. Congratulations on makiing the cut and playing well. Someday you've got to tell me how easy or how tough it is to qualify for the seniors. I wouldn't mind giving it a try next year. It's scheduled for a course in Sherbrooke.
    Participation in the Canadian Seniors' Championship is more of a selection process than a qualification one. The criteria that I received from the RCGA, after initially not being included in the 165 man field, are:
    1. Provincial team members 40
    2. Solid performance in 2003 Seniors, or 2003 Senior Match Play 32
    3. Top performers at provincial senior 24
    4. Super Seniors 30
    5. Foreign Players 24
    6. Remaining Players by Index and Tournament Performances they know of 15.

As you can see, #2,3 and 6 are open to some kind of interpretation. Because we are part of the QGA, #3 cannot apply as the championship field is published the day before the start of the Quebec Seniors at Richelieu Valley.

The key is to enter the Canadian Seniors early, play in the Quebec Seniors, and just hope that the boys in Toronto(RCGA) draw your name.

This years tournament was the most enjoyable golfing experience that I have ever had. While the golf is obviously important, the comaraderie and social aspect is emphasized. Their was a reception after the flag raising ceremonies, BAR B Q after the first round, and a banquet after the second. The committee organizes excursions for the spouses and a practice round is included on the Monday. The guys that I played with just great. During the 72 holes that I played with 7 different golfers, there was not one breach of golf etiquette. No-one talked or moved while a shot was being played, nor did anyone step on your line. Even had a brief chat with Walter Gretszky, Wayne's dad.

Give it a whirl next year. The Championship is to be played at the Milby Golf Club in Lennoxville, Quebec.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Had the pleasure of playing the Brantford Golf and Country Club this week in the Canadian Senior Amateur Championship and among other things, gained an appreciation for what it takes for a golf course to be top ranked, as this one is.(23rd) While we have a number of good courses in the area, only the Royal Ottawa made the top 100(76th).
    BC Mist,

I'm a little confused by this statement. Was this the Score Golf Top 100 in Canada, as listed here:

http://www.scoregolf.com/rankings/to...action=thelist

It does indeed have the Royal Ottawa at 76th spot, but in the immediate area, Eagle Creek placed 52nd on that same list. Also, within a two hour drive, there are four other courses, all ranked higher than the Royal Ottawa:
    1. Le Maitre, Tremblant - 28th
    2. Le Geant, Tremblant - 38th
    3. Falcon, Hudson - 65th
    4. Le Diable, Tremblant - 67th
    Or was there a different ranking that you were quoting?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    BC Mist,

I'm a little confused by this statement. Was this the Score Golf Top 100 in Canada, as listed here:
    It does indeed have the Royal Ottawa at 76th spot, but in the immediate area, Eagle Creek placed 52nd on that same list. Also, within a two hour drive, there are four other courses, all ranked higher than the Royal Ottawa:
    1. Le Maitre, Tremblant - 28th
    2. Le Geant, Tremblant - 38th
    3. Falcon, Hudson - 65th
    4. Le Diable, Tremblant - 67th
    Or was there a different ranking that you were quoting?
    Missed Eagle Creek when I checked the list and its ranking is certainly appropriate. Le Maitre is gorgeous, but, IMO, is ranked too low, and how The Falcon even made the top 100 is a mystery. Have not played the other two, but have heard good things about them.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Missed Eagle Creek when I checked the list and its ranking is certainly appropriate. Le Maitre is gorgeous, but, IMO, is ranked too low, and how The Falcon even made the top 100 is a mystery. Have not played the other two, but have heard good things about them.
    I haven't played the Falcon, so I can't comment on that one, like I can't comment on the Royal Ottawa, but I have played the three Tremblant course and they all hold up well.

I'm not sure what the ranking criteria is, the previous list had a course in BC called Westwood Plateau, which I had the pleasure of playing a couple of years ago. A really good track up in the hills in Coquitlam. It was Score Magazine's best new course in 1996, along with other accolades over the last several years including a few from Golf Digest. It fell out of the rankings this year for some reason. Here's a link to the course tour:

http://www.westwoodplateaugolf.com/18HoleTour.html

I really like #12 a Par 3

http://www.westwoodplateaugolf.com/18Photo12.html

Sure Score gives its reasons why some clubs are in and some out, and there are lots of really good tracks all over Canada to choose from, so I guess we all can't be happy.

Oh yeah, and for the original thread of this post, before I thread-jacked it :blush Congrats on playing in the event and that you had a good time.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Thread Information