100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter KyGolfMom is on a distinguished road

Is the DD Optishot helpful to good golfers?

Alright guys, I've done tons of research on other sites and have decided this forum is THE place for info on the OptiShot. Since I need to make a decision soon for delivery by "Santa", I'm asking for your expert advice! My husband and son are both very good golfers....handicap indexes are 3 and 1. The son is 17 and looking seriously at playing college golf. Here's my question. Is this something that would be fun AND beneficial to improving their swings/games, or could it do more harm than good?

Thanks very much for your time and input!

P.S. The husband is from Thornhill, Ontario...if you're ever through Kentucky and want to play some nice courses, he'd love to meet up with a fellow Canuck and play host!

Help please!

Wow.....44 views of my post and no replies? Surely someone has some thoughts they can share? Thanks again!

Sand Wedge mazda71 is on a distinguished road

RE: Help

Hey, I wish I could help you but I'm sorta in the same boat you're in. I've got a lot of good advice from Cory at Par2Pro. From the research I've done, it seems that the DD is not a good learning tool in regard to working your swing (because it isn't as accurate as other simulators) but it is a good tool for keeping the club swinging in the winter. The under 2K alternatives are the Golftek ST-1 and the P3Proswing Claret. Golftek doesn't have a launch angle add on and is about 2k. P3Proswing costs about the same with the launch angle add on (considering the extra ~200-250 for the grasstop). If you have any questions, I would either email Cory at info@par2pro.com or try calling: Toll Free: 1-877-417-2161 Direct: (780) 707-1443. Cory can break it down much better than I can.

Good luck

Gap Wedge Houdini is on a distinguished road Houdini's Avatar

DD For Better Players

I run 2 golf courses and play relatively well. I had a few 18 hole rounds under par this summer but don't play as much as I once did.

As far as the DD goes it is a pile of fun. It is something your "boys" can spend quaility time doing and it may even help them with their iron game. In my opinion the iron read very well the woods and wedges are not perfect. However I love playing the system and when my son is old enough I cannot think of a better winter activity for us.

good luck

Thanks

Thanks Mazda and Houdini...both for your time and your input. I'm going to order the system tonight....I just wanted some good feedback first and I got it. Can't wait to see my guys enjoying "garage golf" all winter!

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Be careful what you wish for - you may end up never seeing them anymore as they might want to spend all their time in the garage!

Really, the DD is a fantastic Christmas gift. I would have been thrilled to see that under the tree...but most of us have to work on convincing our wives that it's a reasonable purchase. Your husband and son are lucky guys!

Putter kenny13 is on a distinguished road
    Hey KyGolfMom - Sorry for not replying sooner but I think your guys will love it. I'm a 14 index and love playing the courses...it's a lot of fun. On the other hand, I can just switch to practice mode and work on my game, especially trying to get a more consistent ball strike. I believe your boys will be able to improve their game if they know what to work on and how to correct mistakes. As rdh said, your boys are very lucky!

Wife of the Year?

Thanks rdh and Kenny 13. Now that I've made the decision, I'm very excited. You guys think the DD is a great gift? For my husband's 50th this summer, I sent him and a friend to TPC Sawgrass for four days.....everyone at our club jokes that I'm a shoe-in for Wife of the Year! I'm actually a golfer too, so I understand their love of the game more than other wives, I suppose.

Thanks again to all for your input!

RDH,

I know I read somewhere on here that you found a reasonably priced projector...maybe a vivitek? if so, please let me know the specs.

Thanks!

Sorry, I was speechless after the sawgrass comment. I think I want to marry you!

Yes, I bought a vivitek 1080p projector. The model number is H1080FD. I paid around $1,100 here, but someone in the US got it for (I think) around $850. Our exchange rate is supposed to be pretty much even right now, but product pricing just doesn't seem to work aaccordingly...grr.

I'm happy with it, and it's an HD (1080p) image. I would recommend it as a very good option. You can get much cheaper projectors if you don't need HD resolution (if you want 1024x768) and they still look great, but it then becomes one more thing they may end up wanting to upgrade later. As it is I expect they'll have a blast with the DD, but if they get into it heavily you may find them looking at options for the P3Pro or something down the road. I'm not knocking the DD though - it really is a fun tool!

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    The Vivitek H1080FD is now $799 with free shipping at VisualApex or $849 with free shipping at Newegg.

My experience with Visual Apex was not very heart warming. Newegg, on the other hand, if it's in stock, you'll get it in 3 days. They are the best.

...and a projector too?!?!

rdh - she's already married...I just want her to adopt me!

Thanks

Thanks ZMax....prices are better than I had hoped!

You guys are cracking me up....sorry I don't have about ten sisters!

I'm already married too, but man, that sawgrass thing...

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Mine wouldn't send me to a local par 3 unless she wanted me out of the house. I find that suspicious! ha ha ha just kidding those are all great gifts!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    You guys are funny. This is a good question. I think the dd is a good fun simulator with useful information for even the good golfer. There are sims with more info depending on your price point. Good to start with the dd, set things up with projector etc and the upgrade if you want more. Have fun.

Thanks again for everyone's input...and humor! The hubby and son will be directed to this site...so expect some more inquiries from the U.S. Since my husband is pretty tech-savvy, he may have some ideas that are useful to you guys as well.

Merry Christmas!

Hey KyGolfMom - did you tell your husband it was coming? I think the look on their faces would have been priceless! Hope you and yours have a very merry christmas! Keep us up to date...or I guess your husband will.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Should be enjoyable. Keep us posted.

Thread Information