CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar

Recommendations for courses to play in Orlando Area

Hi all,

Leaving for Haines City (just south of Orlando) on Friday for a month of golf. I've played the obvious courses in the area, Disney, Celebration, Crooked Cat, Panther Lake, Southern Dunes, Mystic Dunes.

I am looking for a few of the gems that might not get the attention but are still good tracks. I have heard that Bridgewater might be that kind of track.

As a complete aside Champions Gate seems like a must play but I've not played it has anyone else?

Thanks all in advance for the recommendations....

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I liked Stoneybrook West, and they had a lot of deals last winter. Also try Falcon's Fire. And if you can get a good deal on golfnow.com, Grand Cypress has a couple of very nice tracks.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    Diamondback in Haines, Legends in Clermont and Providence in Davenport are all nice and I try to play them every year. In my opinion I would choose Panther or Crooked Cat over Champions Gate, just don't care for the layout there and for the green fee they charge.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Played Champions Gate between Nov 30-Dec 3. I was disappointed that the National Course was recently topdressed and closed so I only could play the Intenational twice. The weather was cool so alligators were out sunning themselves on the shores of the water hazards. Especially around holes 8&9.

The course was in perfect condition.

If you stay the the hotel there is a lit pitch and putt par three (60-100 yrds) that is fun as well.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    Was there last winter. Here're the ones we played:

I liked Harmony Preserve best. It's a very nice layout, but the best part is that all the holes are separated from the rest of the course, as is usually the case on Troon courses, so you get that nice feeling of having the course to yourself.

Celebration and Orange County (both courses) are close second. Great layouts, great conditioning. Some very tough holes at OC.

Gand Pines is a nice layout, although at the time we played it was top-dressed with pretty bare fairways. Still, it was worth a visit. (tip: don't give them your email, they spam... a LOT...)

Played Providence, but all four of us were pretty unimpressed with it. Boring layout, average conditions.

Pitching Wedge khali127 is on a distinguished road khali127's Avatar
    My favourites were Grande Pines, Southern Dunes in Haines City(30 minute drive I think???) and Orange county courses Panther Lake and Crooked Cat. I also played Grand Cypress and it was also top notch but expensive and you can get good value in other spots(I may be down on Cypress because I got food poisoning from a BBQ pork sandwich there between rounds.)
    I will respectfully disagree with Ruskie about Harmony. I did not think it was worth the drive out there(at least 45 minutes) and hated the layout, of most of the individual holes but he is correct about overall layout, in the middle of a developing sub division. Many courses in the area I would play before that one IMHO.

Thread Information