100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best local GPS

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Best local GPS

I have been using the Bushnell Neo for the last two season and for the money it is a great GPS but I would like one that shows the layout of the hole and different points on the hole such as the tee line, bunkers etc. With the Neo you can add 4 points but I find that a pain to do especially when its busy and with being a Corporate golf member who knows when I will be back to play that course. So what GPS system work well with local courses? I was looking at the Bushnell XGC but very few local courses have full hole view.

Thoughts?

Albatross HoganWoods is on a distinguished road HoganWoods's Avatar
    I have the neo as well and think an upgade would be a great xmas present. I'm interested to know what people have to say about this. Come on guys!!

Sand Wedge KDMcC is on a distinguished road
    I bought a Golfbuddy Tour last summer and really liked it. The unit only shows the view of the green but gives distance to the front, middle and back. It also has a pretty good list of hazards for each hole. At the time I chose it over the Tour Platinum (which shows the layout of the entire hole) because most of the courses in the upper Ottawa Valley only had the green view mapped. They've since done the hole layout mapping pretty much all the valley courses so I'm considering upgrading to the Platinum.

The other reason I went with Golfbuddy is that there are no fees to download courses from their website (unlioke Skycaddie).

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    That is what I have found too, most only have the green view. I can get the front, center and back from my Neo but many of the Ottawa courses do not have the full map view available.

Singles Match Play Champ 2010 Ruskie is on a distinguished road
    I've had Callaway uPro for 2 years now, and it's a very nice device, especially now that they've upgraded their software. This past year it's been mostly sitting in the bag, since I came to rely on my laser much more. When I was using it last, they had maybe 50-60% of the courses mapped with full hole maps. For most of the rest of the courses they have greens and hazards distances. There is a fee for full hole maps (basic distances are free), but it's a per-course fee, not a yearly due like SkyCaddie.

Sand Wedge KDMcC is on a distinguished road
    I looked at the uPro as well when I was shopping for a GPS. I looked like a nice unit. My problem with it was they had very few of my local courses mapped at all(upper Ottawa Valley). I put in requests for several of them and they still aren't mapped (not even the green-view). It sounds like it's more useful in the Ottawa area, but still not fully functional is only 60% of the courses have the "hole view". The Golfbuddy had a better selection of courses for my area, and they now have virtually all of them mapped with "hole-view.

A friend of mine bought the On-Par GPS. You might want to steer clear of that company if your loking for a GPS. He tried all year to get our course (Pembroke) mapped and last time I asked him, it still wasn't done.

Have you had any issues with your laser? I have a Bushnell 1500 Pinseeker. It currently won't find anything reliably over about 150 yds. It's going in for surgery over Christmas - Bushnell suspects there may be a misalignment issue (even though it's been well taken care of).

Consistently present bobbyc is on a distinguished road bobbyc's Avatar
    I've got the SG5 ... love it !!! measured it side by side with the Marshes GPS units .... difference of 1 yard. A couple of friends have other units (Callaway) and they can not get the ClubLink courses. Skycaddie has them. Sure it costs me $70.00 per year for all the North American courses, but i find it very accurate and unlimited on courses. I trust it more than the 100/150 yd markers. Some of those markers are out by as much as 2 clubs.
    if i could only putt !!

Thread Information