CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Wink CPGA versus CGTF

So who is more qualified to teach you the game of golf?

A Canadian Golf Professional (CGPA) or a Canadian Golf Teachers Federation (CGTA) instructor?

What are your thoughts? Should they have equal billing
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I need someone from the MHCC these days.
    Andrew

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I have no idea.
    I didn't even know there was a Canadian Golf Teachers Federation.
    I have heard of Canadian Golf Professional instructors.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    We cannot direct the wind, we can only adjust our sails.

Good find
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    I know this has been the topic of another thread, and I believe i posted in that one too. However, I have been thinking a little bit more about this very subject myself recently.

In my very humble opinion, teaching golf is like teaching most anything else I suspect. It all depends on the individuals who are teaching and being taught. Think back to being in school, some people may love a certain teacher while others may not. If you get on well with the teacher on a personal level and the information being passed on rings true with you and you benefit from it, then I dont see how it can matter what initials are after a persons name be it CPGA or CGTF.

CPGA instructors learn about the golf industry as a whole including teaching the game, while CGTF are strictly taught the swing and how to recognize and correct faults. With so many different schools of thought on the golf swing I dont believe it is possible to say if one is better or more qualified than the other on teaching the swing. The business of golf however is a different matter....CPGA wins hands down!

As long as you understand the fundamentals of the golf swing, then really anyone can offer advice on any other golfers swing. In fact we ALL probably do it at least once during a round!

Are you thinking of taking the CGTF course? I have often wondered about that myself, purely just to try and understand my own golf swing better. I am not sure that I would be a good enough communicator to be able to teach anyone anything....well maybe beer drinking, but most people can manage that pretty well by themselves without instruction! lol

Quote Originally Posted by kilmidyke View Post
    ... The business of golf however is a different matter....CPGA wins hands down! ...
    While I could find myself agreeing with you when limiting our choices between CPGA and CGTF - I find in general the "business-smarts" of CPGAs to be severely lacking. I have seen so many rookie mistakes at our club in terms of customer service, client retention, and the basic concepts of profit optimization (such as price elasticity of beer cart items).

Given the choices of: (1) an excellent business manager and an adequate golfer; or (2) and excellent golfer and an adequate business manager (ie, CPGA) - which would you choose to run your club?

I've never taken a lesson from a CGTF instructor so I can't comment on any personal experience; however we have one at our club that is booked solid. It seems that anyone who has had lessons from her (in large part women) love her teaching style. I have had lessons however from many CPGA instructors and most (not all) are great at what they do. Some have been able to fix a flaw in a few lessons (Marc Levac) while others fell short of mediocre.

So I guess it really depends on whether the instructor can break down the swing and indentify where the flaw is. They will have the right communication skills to be able to connect with the student, who with proper instruction will walk away from the lesson with the correct remedy to fix the problem.

Scratch Player kilmidyke is on a distinguished road kilmidyke's Avatar
    I guess I was generalizing a touch. What I was meaning was that CPGA teaches "the business" as a requirement of the certification.

With regard to your question...Given the choices of: (1) an excellent business manager and an adequate golfer; or (2) and excellent golfer and an adequate business manager (ie, CPGA) - which would you choose to run your club? ....I would choose option 1, it's a no-brainer.

It has to be said though, there are way more good PGA professionals than bad ones. Maybe they are asked or expected to do too much. Really though this is a whole other topic!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The question was "So who is more qualified to teach you the game of golf?" not "which would you choose to run your club? "
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

In that case - are you sure you need anyone?

The only kind of learning which significantly influences behavior is self-discovered or self-appropriated learning – truth that has been assimilated in experience.
    - Carl Rogers (Psychologist)

Bubba Watson anyone?

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    By that argument then close all schools and universities...damn...I'd be out of a job!

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    In that case - are you sure you need anyone?

The only kind of learning which significantly influences behavior is self-discovered or self-appropriated learning – truth that has been assimilated in experience.
    - Carl Rogers (Psychologist)

Bubba Watson anyone?
    How about Sam Snead?? He leaves Bubba in his dust. I agree with many, find someone competent and well known whose methods suits your learning curve.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information