100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogers HD

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar

Rogers HD

Anyone else experiencing problems and screen resolution and sizing issues since Rogers latest update? If so, anyone find a solution or talk to Rogers yet? Seems to only effect my HD-PVR and not my standard def or HD non PVR box.

Odd?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    No problem here. I assume you rebooted the PVR...
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    This update has caused alot of issues forthe HD PVR, check out the link below. I have a 1TB media extender that was working fine before the update and now i lost all my shows on it and it no longer works properly. Rogers supports these and they tell me they are working on a fix. Pretty ** off about the update pooching all my shows!!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=131572

THX will have a look. Messed up father-in-laws HDPVR thats how I knew it wasn't just me. Powercycled HDPVR so many times was going to throw it at the wall soon.

Yeah they had me do the same and it actually brought my extender back for a short period of time, but now it looks like it tells the drives to go to sleep and when it tries to wake the external it just dosnt come back on. The only way to get it to see it again it to unplug both and then bring them back online at the same time, this works until you stop watching TV then your screwed again. Not very happy but at least i got $50 from them for some of my trouble.

Very odd. Just called ROGERS as I have a border appearing on the left side of my TV now as if I'm zoomed in when I'm not. Power cycled PVR, when through set-up wizard again, tried everything with both remotes in terms of picture format and TV resolution still off. ROGERS response, trade in the unit or we'll open a ticket and call you back.

ARGH!

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I'm having a similar problem with Std Def channels. I used to be able to see the picture in 4:3 with black borders down both sides so the picture wasn't stretched. I can no longer do that, all my standard def channels are stretched. It drives me absolutely nuts.

I find it funny that rogers decides to change the font in the guide, but doesn't bother trying to make it 16x9, something thats actually useful. They still haven't fixed minor issues, for example not being able to record weekly back to back episodes of Pawn Stars (try it, you can only ever record one at a time on a weekly schedule)

And the list goes on, and on, and on...

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    After reading the previous posts, I'm glad I'm with Bell. No problems of any kind except when it's raining or snowing hard, and I've found a solution for that. A garbage bag over the satellite dish and no further problem.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Still not enough reason to switch to Bell.

The fact that one gets great reception and reliable service is not reason enough. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Still not enough reason to switch to Bell.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

If you want an unsightly satelite dish covered in a garbage bag on your roof!

I'm also not fond of their display, settings, and overall set-up ( possibly due to lack of familiararity I know) but when visiting friends with Bell I never like using it.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    The fact that one gets great reception and reliable service is not reason enough. Interesting.
    Bell has the worst laid out guide ever seen. Nothing like flipping through 15 different CBC channels trying to watch something on TV.

And the lack or regional HD is terrible, hows your std def Saturday night CBC Sens games, or do you watch the nicer quality HD Laufs?

Rest assured it's only a temporary solution for especially bad weather. It's not a permanent fixture. It do have nice garbage bags, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    If you want an unsightly satelite dish covered in a garbage bag on your roof! ... .

I have no problem with the guide at all. My daughter has Rogers and I feel as you do about its menu. I guess familiarity increases one's comfort level. As for the blackouts, I'm more annoyed than you can possibly imagine. I've been advised, though, that this blackout is not imposed by Bell but by the League. Do I have that wrong? The only time I get to see anyone other than the Leafs is if the Leafs are playing them. I did get to watch the 3-0 drubbing administered by the Sens on Saturday, but that was because the Leafs were playing.

Quote Originally Posted by jterpstr View Post
    Bell has the worst laid out guide ever seen. Nothing like flipping through 15 different CBC channels trying to watch something on TV.

And the lack or regional HD is terrible, hows your std def Saturday night CBC Sens games, or do you watch the nicer quality HD Laufs?

So i called 2 days ago and raised a problem ticket about the issue with my extender not being able to work with the new update. Got a automated call from rogers today advising that my issue has been resolved. When i look on the other forum about this people are actually saying they have fixed it. I will test when i get home tonight but if this is true, i'm actually impressed with them for fixing it in a some what timely fashion.

Not sure if they pushed a new firmware update but if you are having issues i would recommend calling support and logging a ticket as they my not be pushing the update to everyone just yet.

I got an update pushed to my standard def box this AM around 6 so will have to see if they pushed updates to HDPVR too. My guess is they rolled back firmware while looking for fix. But who knows will have to test tionight.

Well it was to good to be true. hooked up my external box last night, it saw it and seemed ok. Checked this morning after it had been off for a few hours and it no longer see the box. Looks like another call to rogers.

Well after talking to Rogers tech support again, and them tell me that they dont see any issue, which is crap, i have found out that the newer model of PVR 8642 i think, is not having any issues so i have returned my 8300HD and picked up the new box. Hope this works out better.

Is the 8642 one of the new black models? Didn't think it was available for rent. If so, that is swwweeeeetttt!

Yes it is the new black model. But they will only rent you the 160GB model. suppose to be faster and actually does 1080P instead of 1080I that the 8300 does.

Sweeet! I am so picking one up ASAP!

Thread Information