100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar

Question Golf book recomendations

I'm looking for suggestions for a golf related book to read. I've recently read Mike Weir's book on winning the masters, as well as a few John Feinstein's, which I'm getting tired of.

Looking for a book about the mental side of the game, bringing your range game to the course. I feel if I start with a couple bad holes, my confidence and round is shot, and I tend to play poorly the rest of the front 9.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    "Why Golf?" by Bob Cullen. A book that tries to answer what exactly is the reason so many people are drawn to golf.

It addresses Evolutionary Biology, Psychology, History, Culture....

Maybe not exactly a book you can directly apply to improving your game but a fascinating read...I really enjoyed it

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Goochy, are you back in town? Your inbox is full, you need to delete some messages.
    You only get out of something what you put into it

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    Golf is not a game of perfect by Bob Rotella is classic. He has other sport pysch books about golf as well (Golf is a game of confidence, putting out of your mind, your 15th club and the golfers mind, play to play great).

Tour Rookie PingMan is on a distinguished road
    Timothy Gallwey's..... INNER GAME OF GOLF.
    A golf swing is an individual expression of timing and rhythm unique to that individual.

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    "Fearless Golf" by Gio Valiante

Currently reading "Zen Golf" by Joseph Parent

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Golf is not a game of perfect by Dr Bob Rotella has changed the way I play. It is a must read for all golfers.

Need a Caddy golfinteg is on a distinguished road golfinteg's Avatar
    "The Golfer & the Millionaire" by Mark Fisher
    Golf is the Total System Integration of............The Sum of All Parts............

3 Wood mike k is on a distinguished road
    "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose"
    Lynn Marriot and Pia Nilsson

They have a 2nd book - "The Game before the Game" that talks a lot more about range practice and bringing that to the course, however I recommend reading both.

Both relatively short books and easy reading.

bob rotella may be a fraud to some, but i believe in this guy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46tXSmEiL8M

7 Iron albatrossman is on a distinguished road
    I have most of the books mentioned above. Personally, I find "Every Shot Must Have a Purpose," by Lynn Marriot and Pia Nilsson, to be the best by far. They tell you exactly what you need to do to improve your mental game. I read the book every spring before the start of the golf season. Perhaps Santa will get me a copy of their new book for Christmas this year.

i'm thinking of buying one or both these books for the winter: "How I play golf" by Tiger Woods; or "Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan.

Has anyone read either of these books and can share a review? Thanks.

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    i'm thinking of buying one or both these books for the winter: "How I play golf" by Tiger Woods; or "Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf" by Ben Hogan.

depends on what you are trying to get out of either. they are both quick easy reads. 5 lessons is still regarded as a classic instruction book with plenty of material still applicable today. how i play golf, not much to really be gained imo.
    we all know how tiger plays golf: fore right (or left), fantastic recovery shot, ridiculous birdie, win major championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    depends on what you are trying to get out of either. they are both quick easy reads. 5 lessons is still regarded as a classic instruction book with plenty of material still applicable today. how i play golf, not much to really be gained imo.
    we all know how tiger plays golf: fore right (or left), fantastic recovery shot, ridiculous birdie, win major championship.
    I'll see if i agree with you after reading them because i bought both on amazon yesterday.

i also picked up the "every shot must have a purpose" as it was recommended above by some pple. I'll have plenty of reading material for this winter.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post

Five lessons is a great book however if you grip the club like Hogan teaches you will most likely slice the ball like never before
    http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...565296,00.html

Been there done that.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Five lessons is a great book however if you grip the club like Hogan teaches you will most likely slice the ball like never before
    http://www.golf.com/golf/instruction...565296,00.html

Been there done that.
    So far I'm loving the Hogan book, and the Tiger book is good too. But I'm falling asleep on "Every shot must have a purpose". Isn't it a contradiction for them to say not to worry about your scorecard (because you have no control over it), yet their slogan is Vision 54 (a birdie on every hole).

The best way for me to have a terrible day at golf is to start thinking that I can birdie every hole.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothie View Post
    Looking for a book about the mental side of the game, bringing your range game to the course. I feel if I start with a couple bad holes, my confidence and round is shot, and I tend to play poorly the rest of the front 9.
    "Double Connexion" by Carey Mumford. www.clearkeygolf.com

Before considering the Ebook, read:
    1. The Articles
    2. The Newsletter "Archives."

Many golfers play CONSCIOUS golf, that is, they think about what they are doing while they do it. Others play, trying to overcome fear or other emotions related to the state of their game (your comment above, and what the conventional wisdom books by Rotella, Valiente et al, do). Neither of the above will allow any golfer to consistently play their best. Or, you can learn to play NONCONSCIENCE golf, void of mechanical swing thoughts/keys, or any emotions which may interfere with one's play. Example: You can tie your shoe laces, without thinking about how you are tying them or when thinking about something else, and tie them successfully 100% of the time. You will be able to do this with your golf swing(s)

Developing an understanding of how our minds actually work, how we learn to play and what to think when we play, will help us play our best. "Double Connexion," along with all the free information on Carey's website, does this. Plus, you can call or email him, and he will get back to you. Try calling Dr. Bob or Gio for a chat.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    The 8 Traits Of Champion Golfers: How To Develop The Mental Game Of A Pro
    Deborah Graham (Author), Jon Stabler (Author)

Better for a serious tourney player, but applicable to all.

Sand Wedge wagolfpro is on a distinguished road
    Anything by Dr. Rotella is good, IF YOU APPLY IT. Just reading it may help a bit for what you remember, but you have to apply the exercises and principles to see the improvement. Fearless Golf By Dr. Valiante is a better read, because it reads more like he is talking directly to you. It's a little more concise, and has some great ideas.
    My advice: Find a local pro who has done good work with players on the mental game. He can play 9 or 18 holes with you, and work from there on what you need to improve most. I do this with a lot of my better students, and it will shave strokes that are not mechanically caused. Just remember, you have to COMMIT to changing the way you think before, during, and after the round! And that is easier said than done, but it CAN be done, and you will love the results.

Thread Information