100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Augusta

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road

Augusta

In one of the threads someone mentioned that DD had taken Augusta (er...Georgia Peach) off their website. It sounds like Augusta is on the legal warpath - I found out from Martin at GGS today that Augusta threatened to sue them for their replication of the course, so it is now off of the GGS website as well and will likely not be offered any longer. So, anyone that got either the DD or the GSA version...count yourself lucky. I hope this isn't a trend where the other clubs (pebble beach, st. andrews, etc.) start doing the same thing. Maybe best to stock up on courses now...

When I first started looking at the GSA software with its fictionally named courses, I questioned whether that was sufficient to avoid legal action. I was told that golf clubs can only trademark/protect their name and logo...not the layout. Maybe that isn't the case...or at least the threat of expensive legal action is enough to get these companies to back off.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Interesting. I also hope it is not a trend as well. Augusta are powerful enough and have enough money/influence than most clubs. For now let's enjoy what we have.

Sand Wedge wagolfpro is on a distinguished road
    My opinion? The other courses aren't in any danger of pursuing any action. Augusta is, and always will be, very shut-door and protective. Doesn't surprise me a bit that they may lose Augusta: that's why I bought it as soon as it came out! That is the only course I can imagine that happening to, though. It's just Augusta National being themselves.

Sand Wedge skinsthegolf is on a distinguished road
    I have DD and Augusta, I have been thinking about reformatting my computer ( nothing to do with DD). How can i not lose Augusta when reformatting ?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by skinsthegolf View Post
    I have DD and Augusta, I have been thinking about reformatting my computer ( nothing to do with DD). How can i not lose Augusta when reformatting ?
    I've been wondering the same thing.

I'm going to copy the courses folder to another computer and try installing the DD on it and see whether the DD will recognize the courses or will it try to download them.

Sand Wedge skinsthegolf is on a distinguished road
    Thanks ZMax. Looking forward to what u find.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    I doubt if we will be able to put the course on another computer or download it again even if it is paid for! Personally, I never cared for Augusta on DD. The graphics were dim and the greens were soooo level. If I can shoot 76-79 on this course then there is something wrong.

If you have paid for it already then you should be able to reformat/switch computers etc as long as you have the same product code to get the course. I would call the dd folks first as they may be allowing those that have paid to download the coursde but not selling it to any new customers. Otherwise they really should be refunding your money.

You're right bubba22.

After installation, DD did an update and downloaded all the original courses. On the next startup of DD, it attempted another update, which was to download my premium courses, including Augusta.

But, just for the heck of it, I decided to cancel the update. I then copied the Augusta course file into the data folder and started up DD. Went to play and saw that Augusta was in the course list. This is very cool.

So, it looks they are not selling Augusta anymore, but if you had already bought it, the update will download it for you. But just to be safe, I would backup the premium courses anyway.

Good work ZMax. That's what I figured but good to have it verified. Backin up a good idea.

3 Iron walb0034 is on a distinguished road
    I noticed on the p3pro website that it is now 36 courses, so I'm sure Augusta was the one that was taken off. That really sucks, as I'm planning to buy next friday. Maybe they have an older copy laying around with Augusta on it

8 Iron Bruce Balog is on a distinguished road
    http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5987199

Looks like Augusta has joined forces with EA Sports, which could be why we have seen this course pulled from the DD and P3Pro.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    More likely it's because they didn't liscence it from Augusta in the first place. If they had they'd have called it "Augusta" not "Georgia Pines".

Augusta protects their legal rights much more agressively than other courses so they forced them to remove it.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Wow...graphically it looks pretty amazing from the couple screenshots and teaser video: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...040676,00.html.

I still wish there was a way for TW Golf to be used as backend software for simulators...it would be very cool given how good the game looks.

9 Iron SDL is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    Wow...graphically it looks pretty amazing from the couple screenshots and teaser video: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...040676,00.html.

I still wish there was a way for TW Golf to be used as backend software for simulators...it would be very cool given how good the game looks.

rdh,

Another addition to that "wish-list" would be for EA Sports to go back to creating a PC version of the TW games. I noticed that they are making the new version available only on the game consoles. If there were a PC version, it would at least be playable on those golf sim platforms that include a TW interface. Of course, while the graphics would be great, the gameplay would still be unrealistic.

SDL

Wow! indeed. That bridge looks a like photo. Should be able to do the same with GSA.

Thread Information