CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar

Best route to Kissimmee?

Driving down in a couple weeks and wondering if anyone has any insight as to the best route to take?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I've been heading to the Daytona area the last couple of years and I take I-81 all the way down to I-77 then through Charlotte to I-26 and over to I-95. You would take I-95 to I-4 at Daytona and then right down to the Orlando area. I know many people that cut across to I-95 just south of Winchester, VA but I just hate the traffic there and I hate with a passion driving on I-95. Some of the views are quite nice through VA and NC and a lot less traffic. Just my $.02 worth.

Birdie Sunny D is on a distinguished road Sunny D's Avatar
    Hi,

My wife and I have a home on the Southern Dunes Golf Course in Haines City about 20 miles from Kissimmee and we drive down at least once a year. Here is how we go....

We cross over at Ganonoque and take highway 81 all the way past DC to highway 64 which takes you to Richmond where you can grab the 95. From the 95 you take the 4 and get off at Kissimmee. Alternatively just for variety we have done 81 to the 77 then 95 and 4. Both are good drives. We prefer going this side of DC because you completly avoid the DC traffic which can be a nightmare. Our first year we went 95 around DC and even with the beltway got caught in some nasty gridlock. We were over 2 hours to get around DC. That being said I know others who do 95 the whole way I just don't like hitting the really big US cities on that route because even with good flow you can still be slowed down. Either way avoid DC like the plague anytime during the day. We now we plan to hit DC around 11 at night. Our overall trip is two days at a nice clip with a few stops for driver changes. Have a safe drive..... I leave December 10th.

Thanks guys. Really appreciated. I wondered about what time to leave for traffic situations, thanks for the insight SunnyD.

A pleasure, name is Peter by the way - Not sure if golf is part of your trip but if you have a chance you might want to check out Southern Dunes if you haven't played it before. I love the layout lots of elevation changes which is unusual for that part of Florida and in the years that we have been going down the course has always been in exeptional shape. They just re-did all 18 grrens this summer so I am looking forward to playing them in a few weeks. The only thing about Southern Dunes is you're playing a residential community so there are homes on the course. I also always play one of the Disney courses. Magnolia is my favorite and if you have a road trip planned there is always TPC Tampa. It can be a fun challenge too. No shortage of courses in all price ranges....
    Cheers,

Thanks Peter. I may play some golf during Christmas. I'll keep Southern Dunes in mind. When you said you prefer to travel on this side of DC, which side do you mean, east or west?

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    We always take the same route as gbower. Just about the same distance and driving time as cutting over at Winchester but a more interesting drive.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    Same route as gbower. I drive long and hard the first day, stop at Santee, SC. Then about 8 hrs left to Orlando next day. I'm not leaving until March, but that's just around the corner, 96 days or 13 weeks and 5 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Thanks Peter. I may play some golf during Christmas. I'll keep Southern Dunes in mind. When you said you prefer to travel on this side of DC, which side do you mean, east or west?

81 is on the west side of DC and 95 would be closer to the ocean so east side. On top of there being less traffic I would also agree that it is just a more scenic drive as well. Others may do this differently but we generally book the first night hotel ahead of time. Doing that has saved us a money in the past. Last year we got a room at a Hampton Inn for 45 included breakfast. The posted room rate was 99. If that does not matter then there are tons of places along the way.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Go to Florida every year and have tried different routes. Best one i find is as follow.

We take 81 until we hit 66; east on 66 until you reach 17. We then take 17 south which runs west of Washington. It comes out on 95 and stay on it till we hit 4.
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

1 Iron Bouboude is on a distinguished road
    Best one we have found is the same as btasse.

Just a word of warning. Drove down 2 weeks ago and the police were everywhere in Virginia. Best to watch the speed there.

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    The best route is to drive to YOW, park and fly.

I have done this drive 15 times or more. If you can time it so that you drive through Baltmore - Washington DC in the middle of the night the fastest route is to go 81 - 83 - 95. The last 2 times I've hit the FL border in 18hrs or so (cruise set on 70 mph) BUT as mentioned above you DO NOT want to be anywhere near Baltimore and DC during the day especially during commute times.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

4 Iron poppadon56 is on a distinguished road poppadon56's Avatar
    4jag, ~18 hrs to FL, awesome might try that this year. Did a mapquest, Orleans to Washington ~11 hours, 581 mi. sound about right to you?

What time should I leave Ottawa to miss traffic in Baltimore and Washington?

Going my normal way,I-81/I-77/I-26 and over to I-95, I generally only make it to the I-26/I-95 connection in SC before stopping, 18 hrs, 1100 mi.

Thanks,

don

If you go on a Saturday/Sunday you wont have any delay problems in Baltimore or Washington.

3 Wood Sab is on a distinguished road Sab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    If you go on a Saturday/Sunday you wont have any delay problems in Baltimore or Washington.
    Don't count on that Anytime in daylight is rough. The I81/US17/I95 route is only minutes longer on Google and hours shorter in reality if you avoid Wash/Bal.
    Last edited by Sab; 12-02-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: More info.

Quote Originally Posted by Sab View Post
    Don't count on that Anytime in daylight is rough. The I81/US17/I95 route is only minutes longer on Google and hours shorter in reality if you avoid Wash/Bal.
    Agree with you there that this is the best route whatever days..... Just meant to say that if you took 95 all the way down it was "not as bad" of a drive through those areas on Sat/Sun.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    The ONLY good route IS 81/66/17/95. We have done it every year for the last 7. The only thing I can add is to try and do 17 on "off school" bus times. 57 days and counting
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by poppadon56 View Post
    4jag, ~18 hrs to FL, awesome might try that this year. Did a mapquest, Orleans to Washington ~11 hours, 581 mi. sound about right to you?

What time should I leave Ottawa to miss traffic in Baltimore and Washington?

Going my normal way,I-81/I-77/I-26 and over to I-95, I generally only make it to the I-26/I-95 connection in SC before stopping, 18 hrs, 1100 mi.

Thanks,

don
    I live 1/2 hr south of ottawa so I've got 45min - 1 hr jump on East enders but my target is to hit FLA in 20hrs or less. As mentioned 18hrs is doable providing you miss traffic, construction, accidents and of course any problems in the notrious snow belt between Watertown and Syracuse.

We generally hit the Baltimore 95 beltway in 7hrs or so and are completely through the other side of DC in under 10hrs.
    Leaving after dinner and driving through the night is fastest but I've also left at 3am on a Sat morning and have not had any issues with this route.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    The ONLY good route IS 81/66/17/95. We have done it every year for the last 7. The only thing I can add is to try and do 17 on "off school" bus times. 57 days and counting
    Good point about the schools on 17..... Quite a lot of them and most have reduced speed zones.

I migth see you on the road...... same countdown time for me....

Caddy Gofish2 is on a distinguished road Gofish2's Avatar

Suppose you had a week to get there ?

We are going to spend 3 months in Florida and will be leaving on Boxing Day. Have never driven South and would like to explore along the way. If you had a week to get there are there some must sees ?

Dave

If you plan on going down 81, I have heard that the Blue Ridge Parkway is a beautiful drive. But only if the weather is good.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

must see

have to agree...81 to 66 to 17 to 95 is probably the best way to go, have used that
    route for years...
    if you go that way and want a little scenery when you get on 66 exit to front royal and then you get get on the blue ridge parkway...speed limit is low, but you dont want to go fast ayway as you will be busy checking out the scenery...anyway after about 100 miles you can get off and take 64 to richmond and catch 95 from there..
    its worth the detour..

Thread Information