+ Reply to Thread
    Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar

.....Golfing this time of year....

JUST GOT THESE "SEASONAL" TIPS IN A FLYER FROM GOLFTOWN.
    Solid suggestions.

1) Fleece-lined wind suits and vests are great for the cold weather.

2) Dress in layers including thermal underwear for those chilly morning rounds.

3) Wear tight fitting all-weather gloves or wear heavy mittens between shots and between holes. You lose most of your body heat from your head so remember to pack a toque.

4) Warming up before you play becomes extremely important in the cold. Concentrate on stretching out your arms and shoulders, but don't neglect to stretch your calf muscles and hamstrings as well. Hit the same amount of balls as you would on a mild day, just take your time and go through your warm up routine more slowly. This gives your muscles plenty of time to warm up naturally.

5) Accept the fact that the ball will not go as far because the air is colder and heavier.

6) Take at least one more club than usual and shorten up your back swing.

7) Greens will be bumpier and slower than normal. Take less break and give the putt a firm stroke.

8) Keep your equipment warm (hint: don't leave your clubs in the car overnight).

9) Use two balls during the round alternating each hole. Play one ball while keeping the other ball warm in your pocket. A warm ball always flies better than a cold one.

10) Walking briskly in cold weather will help you stay warm and loose.

Chimo & pleasant Fall golfing to all.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    #11 Be thankful you're still playing golf, because winter is just around the corner. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    you dint just that word agan did you???
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Great post Faldo, some helpful hints, some I used on the weekend.
    I'm hoping like everyone the season is a long one.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I would add a very simple and effective tip: chemical pocket warmers or "hot shots" are awesome. They do a remarkable job of keeping your hands and ball (or balls) warm and dry throughout a round. I just open one on the 1st tee, shake it, stick it in my pocket where I keep my ball, and away I go. These things are cheap too. I also believe in undergarments (particularly the long sleeve t-shirt) with lycra spandex. Its easy to stay warm by bundling up, but its hard to swing with a bunch of cotton t shirts and long underwear all bunched up. I want to get a cool golf toque this fall. For now, I just use a regular longshoreman's style wool toque. It looks a little thuggish. I have also avoided gloves using this hot shot trick, but I may have to break down and buy some cold weather golf gloves too. On a more positive note, this week looks AWESOME for golf for the next few days at least.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

forgot one major point...

Bring (or buy) beer to keep warm inside!!

Steve K's hard lemonade usually does the trick!!

Good point regarding keeping clubs out of the car though. In the cold weather, the glue that holds the shaft to head together can in fact come apart and you could easily break a club in cold weather.

But hey! We are still a long ways from closing the books on Golf 2004!!!!!

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    I would add a very simple and effective tip: chemical pocket warmers or "hot shots" are awesome. They do a remarkable job of keeping your hands and ball (or balls) warm and dry throughout a round. I just open one on the 1st tee, shake it, stick it in my pocket where I keep my ball, and away I go. These things are cheap too. I also believe in undergarments (particularly the long sleeve t-shirt) with lycra spandex. Its easy to stay warm by bundling up, but its hard to swing with a bunch of cotton t shirts and long underwear all bunched up. I want to get a cool golf toque this fall. For now, I just use a regular longshoreman's style wool toque. It looks a little thuggish. I have also avoided gloves using this hot shot trick, but I may have to break down and buy some cold weather golf gloves too. On a more positive note, this week looks AWESOME for golf for the next few days at least.
    I picked up some Sun Ice mitts last year. It's a bit hard to describe, but the finger part opens up and you just slide them down to your wrist where they stay out of the way while you swing. You then slide them back up, flip the finger part closed and you are covered up again. No taking on and off, leaving them behind on a tee box. They worked really well last fall and early this year.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Whats funny is how we react to the 1st cold golf weather in the fall, compared to the 1st golf weather in April. On a 12 degree celsius day in April, you'll see shorts and smiles in the rain. Sunday morning on the 1st tee at 7:15 am I saw a lot of huddling and heard a lot of grumbling in the group, and it was sunny.
    I'm just so happy to be out there, I'll take a morning like Sunday any time.
    A little cold weather prep can go a long way to a) enjoying yourself and b) scoring better. Plus, you can get that smug feeling of accomplishment that a little cold weather is no match for you.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    I would add a very simple and effective tip: chemical pocket warmers or "hot shots" are awesome. They do a remarkable job of keeping your hands and ball (or balls) warm and dry throughout a round. I just open one on the 1st tee, shake it, stick it in my pocket where I keep my ball, and away I go.
    Using "hot shots" to keep your hands warm is fine, but using them to keep the ball warm would put you in violation of Rule 14-3. Here is the text from the Decisions:
    14-3/13 Hand Warmer
    Q. A player uses a device to warm his hands during a round. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?
    A. No.

14-3/13.5 Golf Ball Artificially Warmed
    Q. Is the use of a golf ball which is purposely warmed during a round with a golf ball warmer, hand warmer or any such device a breach of Rule 14-3?
    A. Yes.

[COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

I guess I'll have to keep that in mind... I will keep my golf balls in my other pocket. They still keep my balls warm though.

Thread Information