100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar

How to hit a sandwedge from fairway?

Does anyone have any tips on how to hit the sandwedge from the fairway? Most of the time I want to hit a 65 yard shot with my SW I end up hitting it fat and taking a HUGE divot.

The guy in this link was not helpful at all.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_2356328_...olf-swing.html

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on how to hit the sandwedge from the fairway? Most of the time I want to hit a 65 yard shot with my SW I end up hitting it fat and taking a HUGE divot.

The guy in this link was not helpful at all.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_2356328_...olf-swing.html
    Just hit it like you would a pitching wedge, a 7 iron, or a 5 iron. Nothing different. Must be in your head?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    What sensfan said.

The fat-shot is my nemesis at times and it's usually a setup (stance/ball position) problem when I do it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    What sensfan said.

The fat-shot is my nemesis at times and it's usually a setup (stance/ball position) problem when I do it.
    It's probably a setup problem. Ugh.....

Next year I'm getting a caddie. I need another pair of eyes watching over me. Preferably a brunette.

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Funny you should ask....just received this 'snippet' in an email newsletter that I subscribe to. Makes a ton of common sense to me...and notice, in this clip he specifically mentions that he's using his sandwedge!!! Hope it helps!!!

"If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    How to eat a sandwich from the fairway????

Never had a problem mate...but I know what you mean about getting fat

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Perhaps you are de-celerating through impact. When hitting those type of shots, I find that I hit them fat when I am not committed. I try and find the right swing and think be aggressive through the hitting area. If I am not I usually lay sod over it or thin it.

Hybrid Grouchy is on a distinguished road
    Hitting the sand wedge "fat" is exactly what you are supposed to doing, when your ball is in the sand. Maybe you are just unconciously following that setup when you have that club in your hand. Just curious, does your SW match your other wedges in make and grips?

But what do I know? I tried opening up my club 3 times last round and zinged it straight right off the toe every damn one. Aargh.

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Funny you should ask....just received this 'snippet' in an email newsletter that I subscribe to. Makes a ton of common sense to me...and notice, in this clip he specifically mentions that he's using his sandwedge!!! Hope it helps!!!

I think you forgot to post the link .

Quote Originally Posted by quinner View Post
    Perhaps you are de-celerating through impact. When hitting those type of shots, I find that I hit them fat when I am not committed. I try and find the right swing and think be aggressive through the hitting area. If I am not I usually lay sod over it or thin it.
    I'm pretty sure that's not it. I am 100% committed and the proof is in the giant divots that I dig up. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
    Hitting the sand wedge "fat" is exactly what you are supposed to doing, when your ball is in the sand. Maybe you are just unconciously following that setup when you have that club in your hand. Just curious, does your SW match your other wedges in make and grips?

But what do I know? I tried opening up my club 3 times last round and zinged it straight right off the toe every damn one. Aargh.
    With my PW, I have no problems hitting it cleanly and taking virtually no divot. But if I do take a divot with my PW, I'm able to hit ball first so that the ball travels.

With the SW on the other hand, if I hit it cleanly it always feels like I've hit it thin, and it only travels 50 yards. If I hit it fat, which I'm supposed to, I usually hit the dirt before the ball. Maybe I should put the ball back in my stance more. Or maybe I should be opening my stance more so that I'll have more clubface to hit the ball. Maybe the ball is too far away from me. Maybe my angle of attack is too steep like a sand shot.

I have no problem with this club when I have to hit a finess shot with it, less than 50 yards. My problem is getting the maximum distance out of the SW.

(Yes the grip on my SW is different than my other irons. Shaft is different too. Do you think that would make a difference?)

Thanks.

-------

max PW distance: 110 yards (i'm not proud of this)
    max SW distance: 55 yards (i'm embarassed by this)

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    (Yes the grip on my SW is different than my other irons. Shaft is different too. Do you think that would make a difference?)

Thanks.

-------

What is the loft or your SW? And the loft of your PW?Uusually a SW has a lot of bounce and if you set it up just like any other club the sole will be slightly off the ground. Move it back until the sole is flat on the ground.That should fix it.

In soggy conditions Jack Nicklaus recommends to grip down a bit since your feet are digging into hte ground.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post

Thanks.

-------

What is the loft or your SW? And the loft of your PW?Uusually a SW has a lot of bounce and if you set it up just like any other club the sole will be slightly off the ground. Move it back until the sole is flat on the ground.That should fix it.

In soggy conditions Jack Nicklaus recommends to grip down a bit since your feet are digging into hte ground.
    SW Loft 56, Lie 64.5, Bounce 14, Length 35.25, Swing Weight D4

PW loft 47, Lie 63.5, Bounce 10, Lenght 35.5, Swing Weight D2

I'll try out your suggestion.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    As was stated above, it is all on your head. You have sand wedge hit anxiety which can be overcome quite easily.

Try going to an extreme. Play the ball back of centre, place two thirds of your weight on the front foot and leave it there as you swing and choke down on the club about an inch. Take easy, three quarter swings but you MUST go through to a full finish. This will ensure a downward angle of attack and the full swing should help to stop the "flipping" that is characteristic of a fat shot. As you begin hitting the ball first (you may even hit a few thin shots for awhile) gradually move the ball a little farther forward as long as ball first contact is made.

Positive change will not occur over night, but it time, you will gain the confidence that you currently lack.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    I used to have the exact same problem with anything over a PW from the fairway. Realized at least for me I was always trying to hit it too high and in doing so was always decelarating on the downswing. My keys now are playing lower shots that check, keeping my head down and shortening my backswing/really concentrating on a good accelerated strike through the ball.

Hopefully I'll have some 60 yard shots tomorrow so I can practice the advice here.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

SW Loft 56, Lie 64.5, Bounce 14, Length 35.25, Swing Weight D4

PW loft 47, Lie 63.5, Bounce 10, Lenght 35.5, Swing Weight D2

max PW distance: 110 yards (i'm not proud of this)
    max SW distance: 55 yards (i'm embarassed by this
    Assuming that every 4-5 degrees of loft difference equals +- 10 yards you should be hitthing your SW 90 yards. A few things here. 14 degrees of bounce is a lot of bounce angle and 35.25 is pretty short unless you're not a very tall person.
    Perhaps a gap wedge would help but for now try playing it back so the sole lays flat and try not to come out of your shoes to get it to 100 yards. And if you're up for it try hitting your PW 90 yards. Wedges are for precision not maximum distance.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Medalist imozzie is on a distinguished road imozzie's Avatar
    Sorry 'bout that ..... here it is...

http://www.golflink.com/free-video-of-the-week.html
    "If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be a lot easier than it is" - Horace Hutchinson (1903)

Quote Originally Posted by imozzie View Post
    Sorry 'bout that ..... here it is...

http://www.golflink.com/free-video-of-the-week.html
    Saved to my favorites! Thanks.

Shagging Balls dmartin is on a distinguished road

Smile

Your sand wedge is probably heavier by quite a bit than your PW.

Swing weight of d5-d6 vs c9-d2. Grip lite, swing shallow rather than steep.

The over the top swing or chop can kill a good sweep with this club.

good luck
    Last edited by dmartin; 11-12-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Change your wedge head ! Way to much bounce for a tight fairway lie and probably to wide a flange. If so ,this is a one dimentional club, for deep rough and soft sand.

Playing around with your ball position, to be able to hit just this one club from the fairway , in my opinion, is a waste of a club in your bag. Why would you beat yourself up when a minor adjustment in your equipment should solve the problem.

If you are able to shoot the #'s that you do, then going to a 12* with a more narrow flange will allow you to play a more conventional set up from the fairway, and still execute you finess and sand shots.

Another thing to consider would be your lie angle / lenght.

You need to be fitted !!!!!!!!!!!!

On the last hole today I hit a sweet SW shot from 80 yards out.
    Maybe there is hope for this club after all.

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    If you are a grown man with reasonable swing speed and cant hit your sw atleast 90 yards you are flipping the clubhead past the hands and adding loft to the club. Reread BCMists post over and over again until it sinks in. Im not a big lad by any means and have a swing speed with my driver of around 100 mph and I can hit a lob wedge 65 yards with less than a 3/4 swing. Hit down on the wedge and make sure that your hands are in front of the ball at impact.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree that BC Mist's advice and a lower bounce as Les suggested would do the trick. Roger Maltby would simply tell you to choke down on your PW.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    For a SW shot, I would narrow my stance, open my stance a tad, play the ball dead center in the stance, put most of my weight on my lead foot and keep it there, and finally lean or tilt at the hips towards the target. This setup gets the swing steep and through the ball. If your shots are fat your setup is too ball behind the ball. There is not much weight shift in the shorter club shots so setup is vital to ensure you are where you need to be at impact. And do not overswing.

I've almost given up on this sandwedge. I'm on a par 4, 340 yards, I drill the driver down the middle 280 yards, so just 60 yards to go, I tell myself to hit a nice and easy smooth swing, put the ball in the back of my stance and I hit it fat again. Bogey the hole. I've been doing this so often, it's frustrating.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Try something different, learn some new shots with different clubs. Play a knock down with your PW or GW, nice easy control shots.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I tell myself to hit a nice and easy smooth swing
    That tells me you are taking too long a backswing and are probably decelerating at impact. Take a shorter backswing and hit it.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    That tells me you are taking too long a backswing and are probably decelerating at impact. Take a shorter backswing and hit it.
    Right now I've got no confidence in this club. I had a 60 yard SW shot today that I skulled over the green which left me with a 80 yard PW shot coming back!!! Pitiful.

I'll try your suggestion. If that doesn't work I'm going for lessons. If that still doesn't work I'm switching to my PW and do a half swing like Jordan said.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Maybe a sand wedge is not the club for you...

... a sand wedge typically has a lot of bounce - usually 10*-15*. That does not suit my swing at all, as I tend to pick the ball clean with little or no divot. So for the past 3 years I've used a 58* lob wedge with 6* bounce in most situations where other golfers would use a sand wedge (including bunker shots). Maybe that would work for you too?

7 Wood Cruban is on a distinguished road Cruban's Avatar
    I've almost given up on this sandwedge. I'm on a par 4, 340 yards, I drill the driver down the middle 280 yards, so just 60 yards to go, I tell myself to hit a nice and easy smooth swing, put the ball in the back of my stance and I hit it fat again. Bogey the hole. I've been doing this so often, it's frustrating.
    I've got the exact same issue.
    I'm at the point now where I've given up on it and have started trying to manage the course differently; either leave myself around 100 yds or inside 30yds.

Singles Match Play Champ 2012 Wilster is on a distinguished road Wilster's Avatar
    Same issue here , i either hit a punch or a bump-and-run with anything from a 7 to a pw for these shots now .For sure its a de-celeration issue , as i know its the same for me , practice and some mind training will sort it out.
    At the end of the day ... It gets dark

Thread Information