CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hybrid headcase is on a distinguished road headcase's Avatar

Who is the best player in Ottawa Valley

Out of curiosity who is the best local Professional and amateur talent in the valley?

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    Bernard, Jean. +47

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    As far as amateurs that live/work in the region, I think most would agree with Alan McGee right now.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Out of curiosity who is the best local Professional and amateur talent in the valley?
    Alan and Marc Etienne Bussieres have been the best local players for a few years.

Marc recently turned professional after having graduated from University of Southern Alabama and recently played in his first event on the Hooters Tour and finished T-17.

http://www.golfcanada.ca/amateur-com...rticle1517.ece

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Alan gets my vote.. Hard not to.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Best local pro? Barber or Gunn? If you mean best pro from Ottawa, I guess Fritsch still? Best local amateur is definitely McGee.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    As far as amateurs that live/work in the region, I think most would agree with Alan McGee right now.

+1

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    According to the World Amateur Golf Rankings, Mr. Brussieres is the highest ranked player in your region.

http://wagr.randa.org/default.sps?pagegid={92949137-AAAB-411B-9128-869E4F252D51}&sort=this&sortorder=asc&country=CAN&sCountry=Go

Lyle, you aren't too shabby either.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    Alan and Marc Etienne Bussieres have been the best local players for a few years.

Marc recently turned professional after having graduated from University of Southern Alabama and recently played in his first event on the Hooters Tour and finished T-17.

http://www.golfcanada.ca/amateur-com...rticle1517.ece
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    I would say best pro from the area is still Brad Fritsch, Lee Curry a close second. I agree McGee is the best local am.
    Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent global warming.

Par tyorke1 is on a distinguished road
    what about my buddy chris bernard

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Are we possibly forgetting Dwight Reinhart?

-OVGA Class A Match Play Champion
    -OVGA Masters Champion (nipped me by 1 the young punk did )
    -74,75 in the Tunis
    Others??

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    best am - Al.. I would take him over Dwight
    best cpga pro - Chris Barber maybe Gunner
    best pro - Fritch maybe Brussieres in a couple of years

Spacklers got it right. I have played with all of them except Brussieres

Par tyorke1 is on a distinguished road
    how come they never played in the mid, chris had hockey with his son by why wouldn't the other guys play, a national on a course they know.

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by tyorke1 View Post
    how come they never played in the mid, chris had hockey with his son by why wouldn't the other guys play, a national on a course they know.
    Other people have busy lives too, not just Chris.

BlueMan
    The best local amateur player is without a doubt marc etiennes bussieres. He's ranked 55th in the WORLD AMATEUR GOLF RANKINGS. McGee isn't even on the list. Yes Mcgee is the best player in the area who actually plays his tournament golf in the area.This is why so many people know his name. But Bussieres plays in the top amateur events in the world where he is exempt and McGee would be lucky to find a spot in the Monday qualifiers for. OVGA City & District Championships vouch for nothing on the national scale let alone an international one.

Hands down it's marc etiennes bussieres. You can't even question it. That is until he turn pro if he already hasn't.

If that's the case guys that hang around the area and just play local amateur events but are very very good players are guys like:

Allen Mcgee
    Dwight Reinheart
    Kyle Koski
    Dan Tapp
    Along with some of the younger clan that play on the University of Ottawa Golf Team like Robert Mustard, Curtis Dancy and Jordan Rochon.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Except that M-E Bussieres is now a professional.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Bussieres finished 11th in a Hooters tour event today. He's a pro.

BlueMan
    Ok yea him turning pro changes things for sure.

If that is the case then Mcgee Koski and the rest of the guys on my list are definitely the top guys around.

McGee leading the way of course.

Good to see Bussieres playing well as a pro!!

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    How about the best amateur in the area that never was a pro...? Allen gets my vote for prior pro.
    Last edited by stinger; 11-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    That's a tough one, because a lot of the better amateurs actually played professionally at one time.

1 Iron kekchose12 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMan View Post
    ... and McGee would be lucky to find a spot in the Monday qualifiers for. OVGA City & District Championships vouch for nothing on the national scale let alone an international one.
    Here is a post I remembered reading some times ago, I found it in the 2006 archives of this forum ....

"Big congrats to Ottawa's own Allen Mcgee who outlasted 70 golfers from 20 countries to win the Volvo Masters Amateur championship today. The tourney was held in Marbella, Spain. Local Canadian qualifiers were held across the country with several in the Ottawa area during the summer. Over 100,000 golfers from across the globe try to qualify to get to the world finals in Spain.

Allen's buddy Kyle Koski finished very strong as well placing T-6th. Way to go boys"

Sand Wedge ping66 is on a distinguished road
    I would like to clear up a few things. The Volvo tournament was a scramble best ball event, not play your own ball. Also, the only few amatuers in the area that play events like:

1) Tunis, Duke, Quebec Am, Canadian AM, Canadian Mid-am, Quebec Mid am

Those golfers include, Dwight Reinhardt, Bussieres, Marc Ffrench.

Allan McGee is a fine player along with Koski, Bernard and Dan Tapp. But, you never see these guys play against the best players in our region. My hat is off to Dwight Reinhardt he finished:

21st Tunis, 8th Duke, 13th Quebec Amatuer, 3rd Quebec Mid am, 25th Canadian mid Am, 16oish/256 Canadian am. On the Quebec order of Merritt he is 6th overall. Along with 2nd in the Citizen, 1st OVGA Mid Masters, 1st OVGA matchplay. 1st (im sure im missing some events too)

My vote goes to Dwight Reinhardt of Renfrew. The best Amatuer will challange themselves in tournaments against other good amatuers.

My two cents!!

Players

Quote Originally Posted by ping66 View Post
    I would like to clear up a few things. The Volvo tournament was a scramble best ball event, not play your own ball. Also, the only few amatuers in the area that play events like:

1) Tunis, Duke, Quebec Am, Canadian AM, Canadian Mid-am, Quebec Mid am

Those golfers include, Dwight Reinhardt, Bussieres, Marc Ffrench.

Allan McGee is a fine player along with Koski, Bernard and Dan Tapp. But, you never see these guys play against the best players in our region. My hat is off to Dwight Reinhardt he finished:

21st Tunis, 8th Duke, 13th Quebec Amatuer, 3rd Quebec Mid am, 25th Canadian mid Am, 16oish/256 Canadian am. On the Quebec order of Merritt he is 6th overall. Along with 2nd in the Citizen, 1st OVGA Mid Masters, 1st OVGA matchplay. 1st (im sure im missing some events too)

My vote goes to Dwight Reinhardt of Renfrew. The best Amatuer will challange themselves in tournaments against other good amatuers.

My two cents!!
    Thanks for mentioning my name in the players who play in these events. I just try to improve my game by qualifying for and playing in stronger and stronger fields and events every year.

I must say though, that this debate is a tough one. On one hand, to measure by the events played in is flawed, as the players choose to play in the events, or not. Now, at our age group, family life, work, and other commitments take priority. Yes Dwight (who is a great friend of mine) has had great results, because he chose to play in the events. McGee (who is another close friend) has played a lot of golf over the years, and has chosen to spend a lot more time with his family. Does this make him less of a player than Dwight? I don't think so. They are very close. I don't think there is a distinct winner in this debate. They are both very very good competitive golfers, and really good guys. I am sure that Al could have similar results as Dwight, if he chose to play the same events. We all make choices in life, as time is limited, and to me, this makes comparing the 2 very very hard.

Al beat Dwight in the Citizen, Dwight beat Al in the Tunis. This could go around in a circle, with arguments on both sides.

Just my 2 cents...

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    Don't forget Chris McCuaig when he has the time to practice.

Need a Caddy solstrum is on a distinguished road
    This summer, Al. Even at gordon cup Dwight and Al played together in the final round, I do believe Dwight was even (or close) and Al was what, 8 under! Al had it going this year for sure.

Pro, you guys don't know a lot about him, but Jonathon Schaepper, owner of Mountain Creek is one heck of a player. He works to much now, but still plays in the Pro events for the zone and in two years I don't think he has finished out of the top 3, while only playing maybe 20 times a year.

8 Iron best4ironintown is on a distinguished road
    wow ping66 you do know alot about dwight and come from the same town coincidence??????

3 Wood goley is on a distinguished road
    Jonathon Schaepper is one heck of a good player. I have also played with him. Very straight off the tee, good short game and has a good mental game. Super nice guy also.

Quote Originally Posted by best4ironintown View Post
    wow ping66 you do know alot about dwight and come from the same town coincidence??????
    Not hard to find, all those results are on the websites. Nice try at the conspiracy theory.

It's obvious everyone has their favorites, and all have different approches to coming to a conclusion.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    There are a whole bunch of good players in the Ottawa area, but it's not fair to use one event's results to put one player over another as "best player." That really isn't the nature of the game. A guy could win, say, the OVGA A Class Championship, but miss the cut in the Tunis and Quebec Am. What does that A Class victory mean? It means he was the best that week, absolutely, but maybe another player had more consistent results in those events.

There are just so many ways to determine "best player."

In the Zone 4jag is on a distinguished road 4jag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ping66 View Post
    I would like to clear up a few things. The Volvo tournament was a scramble best ball event, not play your own ball.

Actually the Volvo qualifiers and Canadian finals were 2-man combined stableford scoring with both gross and net fields.

The world finals that Al won was 2 rounds of individual net stableford scoring. Al played as a scratch against a field of 70 players from around the gobe many of whom brought their travelling handicaps to Spain. That victory was a major accomplishment for Mr. McGee especially considering he was giving many strokes to virtually the entire field.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Thread Information