CorporateGolfXtra 2024
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Protee Sim

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Good question Z. Try it and let us know. Is there a backspin factor in GSA or ProX or is it just a sidespin factor?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Good question Z. Try it and let us know. Is there a backspin factor in GSA or ProX or is it just a sidespin factor?
    Not sure if there's a backspin factor in ProX, but it's definitely not in GSA. Both have sidespin factor.

A while ago Martin made a request to Red Chain to remove certain launch characteristics that affected each club, so that one does not have to select a club. I just don't whether that was done and implemented in the last GSA update.

I did some tests last night and it appears that there are some minor differences between clubs in GSA. It's either a default spin or carry distance table. With carry distance(ball speed) settings the same for my 6,7, and 8 iron, I only made note of the simulated carry distance in driving range mode when the LA and ball speeds were the same. I found that simulated carry distance only varied by about 3 yards between the club choices. i.e. I would choice a 6 iron but actually swing a 7 iron and my carry distance only increased by 3 yards compared to when I chose a 7 iron and swung a 7 iron.

When I chose a 3 iron but swung an 8 iron, my carry distance didn't increase much either, maybe 15-20 yards from a normal 8 iron shot. Since the software does a decent good job of choosing my club. I usually just go 1 club down. I might be able to play around with the settings to where I don't have to choose the club in the software.

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    This was discussed in a couple threads. The different clubs WILL have different ball flights/distances even with the same launch angle and ball speed. That is because the spin would be different (which GSA has to estimate). I explained this part in another thread, but here it is again.

It's theoretically possible to achieve the exact same launch angle and ball speed with either a 7 iron or a driver (again, in theory). i.e. a hard low punch with a 7 iron or very slow, catch-it-on-the-upswing with a driver. The two balls will have drastically different spin (heavy backspin with the 7 iron, minimal spin with the driver) and thus the ball flights and distance SHOULD be different.

Martin had asked me about this a while back too and one of his customers complaining that with the launch angle reading, you shouldn't need to select a club. He was going to request that of GSA but I told him not to - it would make the ball flights inaccurate.

Thanks for the explanation rdh. I had a feeling it was the spin that was making difference.

I was just wondering if I could play with the settings to where it would not matter if I swung an 8 iron even though the software chose a 7 iron. That's all. I'm just talking about normal play where the software's club selection is just 1 club off.

You could probably get away with one club difference. Like you said above, it only seemed to make a few yards difference in the distance, and spin would be very similar. I tend to always select the right club just because I want it as accurate as possible. I still need to set up glovepie so I can select clubs with voice commands to make it easier. I also suggested to Dean at one point that it would be great to get more setup options added to the software so it defaults the correct club 95% of the time. i.e. for each player, enter in how far each club is hit. The software would then suggest it accordingly. The software would need to factor in other things though - i.e. it may be an 8 iron, but if you're in the rough and going uphill with a strong wind in your face, it would need to adjust for those factors to select a 6 iron (or whatever) instead.

With my air mouse/keyboard, selecting the club is not really an issue for me. Especially because I'm always zooming around for yardage and best landing area anyway.

Your suggestion to Dean is a good one. It probably should have been there all along. I think LinksLS had it but don't remember. I hope the new software includes all these features that we requested for the current version.

Pitching Wedge golf4tito is on a distinguished road
    At this point I am torn between the protee and vector pro for my garage practice area (net, maybe projector in the future). Does the protee come with a pre-made stance mat similar to what the p3pro has available?

No but you can easily make a stance mat for any of the sensor mats including the ProTee. You understand that the ProTee is a simulator and the Vector is a launch monitor whixh really doesn't allow for simulated play. P3pro were supposed to intigrate with the Vector but no one is sure what the heck is going on with that project.

Yeah, I would like to be able to enjoy simulated play but practice is really my focus so I am still considering the Vector Pro.

I did hear something about Vector Pro developers having a simulation package called Vector Links but I couldn't find any specifics.

Do you feel the ProTee is user friendly enough to someone new to the simulation scene? If I did go with the ProTee, I would eventually like to have a impact screen/projector setup but I would begin hitting into a net.

The Protee is a simulator like the GSA PX2 that is developing a camera add on for launch, ball speed and direction. It is not a launch monitor like the Vector which measure spin. The vector links is essentially like a driving range that allows a poor simulate view of the ball flight. I say poor compared to the simulators. You need to decide what you plan on doing. If you want to just hit balls and not chip and put then get a launch monitor. I you want to play a full round of golf and still have the option of driving range then get a simulator.

blackfire
    from what I read the vector links is only a better driving range with a closet to the pin and long drive contest. If you realy whant to play a game then the protee is beter for that. Ease to install as the protee support can connect directly to your computer and do the remote installation. It needs a bit of installation over head light and sub subflooring but otherwise it's prety ease.

Good points. I would want to work on my short game. Can you do putting with base sensor or do you need the extra sensor? This is going in garage so do you think I could have relatively mobile setup?

b3team
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfire View Post
    from what I read the vector links is only a better driving range with a closet to the pin and long drive contest. If you realy whant to play a game then the protee is beter for that. Ease to install as the protee support can connect directly to your computer and do the remote installation. It needs a bit of installation over head light and sub subflooring but otherwise it's prety ease.
    No, you are talking about vRange. Vector links is a full simulation software package with real courses. I called accusport for a price for vector links, he never emailed or called me back.

Vector links is not a full simulated software package. It is essentially a driving range and it doesn't allow full simulation from driver to putting.

b3team
    The rep at Accusport I talked to told me there were different course packages and it was a full simulator.

The internet is your friend. This site also has a search feature.

The $3200 Vector Pro has no club data. Which is important IMO. It also does not include simulation.

I've said this many times already, just because it measures spin, it does not mean that it can do it accurately.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/...cusport-beware

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/...up-vector-pro/

The Protee has a built in ball sensor, great simulation, Fiberbuilt grass panels, and will soon have LA and ball path cameras. All for $4000 USD.

It's a no-brainer.

The GGS system has all of that but it's a little bit more money. OEM or package deals can save money.

And no, these systems are not portable.

Well explained Z. I fully agree. Check with the rep again as I am sure that there is no simulation with the Vector.

I came across accusports Facebook page and it looks like they are working towards integration with multiple sims. I didn't get a chance to look at things in detail but might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the info golf4tito but this is not new info. They have been attempting this fo some time now but there really has been no solid marriage with any other sims yet.

I am really leaning towards the protee but it sounds like it would not be feasible since I would need to be able to move sensor and mat aside when not practicing.

I also received an e-mail communication with the following excerpt from Accusport, "If you are interested in course play/simulation - we have partnered with TruGolf and the VectorPro can be integrated with their Newport or Technique system. I attached a few items for your review."

If anyone would like a copy of the entire e-mail, please let me know and I would be happy to forward it on.

Last edited by golf4tito; 04-28-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Shotmaker bubs3141 is on a distinguished road
    the technique system is $19,000 us, that is a little expensive, and then add on the launch monitor.

I believe it is the "Newport" that has the 20k price tag. The "Technique" sits at about ~7k which is still certainly nothing to sneeze at.

And I think that's just with the E6 Lite software which (if I interpret the description correctly) has no dynamic cameras to fly along with the ball...just a static rendered view.

Coming back to the protee, if I were to go with this simulator would I have to mount the sensor pad to the floor or is it possible to pack it up when not in use?

The Vector Pro + Trugolf sounds like a great idea. I find it strange that this press release was dated over 4 years ago. I wonder what the holdup is.

AccuSport Announces VectorLinks™ Golf Simulator
    Press Release

Posted 2007-01-23

AccuSport has developed VectorLinks™ in partnership with TruGolf of Salt Lake City, the makers of the popular LS Golf.

AccuSport’s initial VectorLinks™ release will be targeted to the company’s retail customers and will provide them with a simple touch-screen interface for a Practice Range, Longest Drive, Closest to the Pin and Three Hole Course. "We will eventually have the ability to offer a customer the full fifty course library from TruGolf, but most of our customers are using the simulators to sell product as opposed to playing a round of golf, so they needed a scaled down version," Brawley said. "VectorLinks™ is quite portable and can be retro-fit into most hitting bays. Customers will not need to build large, dark, intrusive, free-standing rooms, since the ball information is collected at the tee. This footprint provides us with enormous flexibility in terms of customizing a hitting bay with VectorLinks™," Brawley said. "In addition, customers will save on construction and materials, enabling us to deliver a very cost effective, high-value product," Brawley commented.

70jr
    I thought that is fast in the golf sim industry?

Quote Originally Posted by 70jr View Post
    I thought that is fast in the golf sim industry?
    It should have been done in a month. My confidence with Trugolf is very low. They've been dragging their feet with the GGS integration and their $45K Premium simulator was a big disappointment.

Agreed

8 Iron mhale is on a distinguished road
    Bubba22,
    Are you testing the LA camera for the Protee, I got an email from them that said they had it out for beta testing now and that they would have it ready in about 2 weeks.

Thread Information