100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    8 Iron bubba827 is on a distinguished road
    hey guys been a little while since i been back here and talking about the DD.....had shoulder problems and not able to play much last 4 months...but wanting to get a projector so i would not have to look back at monitor everu shot....I would love some suggestions on which type and how powerful of a projector i would need.......also would love to be able to stay under 500 bucks , if possible..thanks again .....Bubba827

7 Iron Marine1 is on a distinguished road
    Hey bubba827, I bought a benq mp525st for mine. it is a short throw projector and projects a 9x10 foot image from about 9 feet away and its awesome. It has hdmi input, vga, rgb and component inputs as well. I even watch movies on it and I feel like I'm in the theaters. I got mine new at pcrush.com for $565 with free shipping. I know this is a little more than what you were asking for but this projector usually sales for almost $800.

Question for those DD users: I finally got my simulator building up and running about a month ago after since starting on it in march, and notice that its very easy to draw the ball or even hook it on this thing when in real life, i struggle to draw it. (keep in mind i am a 1 handicap). My question is I have read through all of the forums (all 100+ pages) and have read people talking about being able to adjust their club settings such as offset. I cant find any such adjustments available other than club type (muscle back, players, game improvement), and shot type (highest, higher, normal, lower and lowest). Does anyone know where these adjustments can be found? Thanks

8 Iron bubba827 is on a distinguished road
    hey thanks marine......yea being that it is soo close to holidays...my wife would prob shoot me if i went over my budget on that..........lol but thanks for input on the projector..........i even went online to ebay but all i fould were new ones that cost what u typed......any other good options out there on projectors??

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Thought I would share some of my musings about the Dancin Dogg simulator now that I am back playing again.

Some short-comings are of course the lack of launch angle and the inablility to pick up extreme horizontal shots such as shanks and extreme pulls, the inaccuracy of some drivers which don't have a big reflective sole (taping doesn't seem to help), the companies lack of information regarding future upgrades (or newsletters for that matter) and the game is very forgiving particulary from trees and hazards.

The simulator is a lot of fun and the accuracy of clubhead speed, clubhead path and distance is very acceptable. The graphics of the newer courses are very good for the price.

Some things I would like to see in the future are:

Game Statistics
    On-line play
    Different game modes such as skins, match play, etc.
    Ability to pick pin placements according to degree of difficulty.
    Time lapse environment
    True ball flight according to lie ie side hill/downhill lies

Anybody else want to add their opinions on this sim, feel free.

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    The simulator is a lot of fun and the accuracy of clubhead speed, clubhead path and distance is very acceptable. The graphics of the newer courses are very good for the price.
    You nailed it right there. The DD is a great similulator for $400. IMO, the $1000 P3pro is way over priced and can't even compare to fun level of the DD. The skills competition is worth $50 period. The Highlands reminds me of links386 and Desert Dunes is just a tad better. The DD 3DD courses blows them away. It's only when you add the GSA courses, which is another $1000, is when you tip the scale towards the P3pro.

The P3pro sensor is better and has a lot more potential then the DD sensor, but it's pretty obvious that the programmers for the P3pro were either idiots or they were not golfers. The integration with GSA was lazy at best.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Zmax, I absolutely agree with you 100%. The potential for the P3pro is great due to its consistency of sensor reading etc. If they would just work on cleaning up the GSA course issues and add ons like launch angle measurement/vector integration, ball measurement etc it would be a much bigger seller than now. P3pro seem very reluctant to listen to what the users want. I agree that the cost of $1000 for the P3pro is high. I only payed $ 250 for mine and at that price it is well worth it. As a whole Zmax you are bang on with your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Zmax, I absolutely agree with you 100%. The potential for the P3pro is great due to its consistency of sensor reading etc. If they would just work on cleaning up the GSA course issues and add ons like launch angle measurement/vector integration, ball measurement etc it would be a much bigger seller than now. P3pro seem very reluctant to listen to what the users want. I agree that the cost of $1000 for the P3pro is high. I only payed $ 250 for mine and at that price it is well worth it. As a whole Zmax you are bang on with your comments.
    bubba22,

$250 is a great deal. I bought a used one on Ebay for just a little bit more than what you paid. I then bought the GSA courses during this holiday sale. Just as I had planned.

P3pro might have programmers on a contract basis. That would explain why changes have been small and slow. I would love to get my hands on the source code and their development tools.

The lost of Augusta has to be hurting DD. I'm sure they're working a new course or two. I've been seeing a lot of their 30min commercials on the Golf channel. It still has clips of Augusta.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Augusta may make them edit and remove that from their video clip.
    P3pro don't have any in house programmers which represents a real challenge for them when making any changes. Having in house programmers ar at least the ability to use the programmers regularly at a resonable cost would probvably make the world of difference when trying to implement changes. It really is too bad.

8 Iron Bruce Balog is on a distinguished road
    I agree with Bubba and ZMax about the P3Pro. It has a lot of potential, but isn't perfect. For the price we paid (I bought mine new), they should provide free updates and a launch angle option. Too bad they don't seem to listen to what their customers want.

Sorry to be a rabblerouser, but as Kilroy has stated, could we keep this thread to DD. Somehow we always get off topic.

8 Iron caddishack is on a distinguished road caddishack's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

I purchased the optigolf and have it set up in the rear shop at my office. I use the foam balls and hit into a golf net. I bought an 8 x 12 foot section of that fake grass carpeting and I put a 1/2" piece of corregated plastic under the carpet to get my height a little higher.

I use my laptop to play off and it is quite enjoyable.

I have a couple questions....

I have not been made aware of additional courses from dancin dog? where do I find them?

I find that just about every drive I hit slices which is rare for me in real golf so I need to find a fix as I am never on the fairways to hit my second shot.

I keyed in my shaft lengths and lofts for my clubs (ping i15) but I dont understand the 2 selections at the bottom which pertain to distance and speed I think and can be set in a percentage. I left them at 100 but have no idea when I would change them?

Lastly...after installing the game initially I used it and everytime I was within 60 yards of the green or in bunkers the game would give me my lob wedge....then it went and downloaded some kind of update and now it never gives me the lob wedge and always a sand wedge......how do I make the change back?

Thanks and I look forward to your feedback

Geeez I almost forgot to ask.... I see some threads refering to tiger woods being used for the pad. How is that done and which version of TW do I need?

What would be nice is if DD offered a course architect so that custom courses could be built by the users and uploaded for all to share...Guess they cant make money doing that so forget it... lol

Putter CVHSAlumni is on a distinguished road
    Hello everyone, new to the board.

I have just purchased the Optishot and am very excited. Should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

This forum was a big help in making my decision. Reading the posts here helped me realize that although certainly flawed, the DD will be a great asset for me during the winter time.

I have a few questions, I am currently at my in-laws in Oregon for Christmas and am going to set it up in the garage. The garage has a few windows on it (mine at home in Utah does not), should I attempt to cover those up for daytime play or is the natural light better than having the overhead light on? I am a little confused as to whether or not it is better to have the overhead light or not.

Also, I have a Diablo Octane Driver, FT Fairway Woods (3 and 5 wood), Adams hybrid, AP1 710 irons, Vokey wedges and a painted white Scotty Cameron. Sorry to list all my clubs but I am curious if anyone knows if those clubs will work well (specifically driver, woods, hybrid and putter). I understand that is where some of the limitations are but has anyone used any of those clubs? Is it necessary to tape them up?

I am excited to fire it up and play when it comes. I also plan to tweak everything and get my club settings just right but I did have a few "preliminary" questions about the lighting and if anyone has tried the clubs that I have.

Also, are any of the premium courses better quality than the others? I have spent a lot of hours on a Full Swing Golf simulator and love St. Andrews and Pebble but have never played Whistling Straits. Would love to hear some feedback on which premium course I should get first!

Thanks in advance.

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    I have been playing in a garage that was open in both ends. If you do not get sunshine down on the sensor you will most likely be fine.
    But over all less light is better I use a small fluorescent bulb just to light up.
    The simulator does not need any kind of light, only you to see the ball.

Make sure you get aligned up correctly with the unit and also get something to stand on the unit is 1 1/4" high.
    Also with the driver do not tee to high. The higher you tee the more strange drives you see or even swings that do not register in the software

If the sole of the clubs are reflective they should be fine. Some people here have had problems with driver and woods even with reflective tape! while others do not.

On my own I hardly ever play the courses but use the DD for practice. When playing the courses it is nearly always when friends are over and they do not care which one they play on just happy to play and after a few beers wouldn't know which course they played on anyway.LOL
    I has my DD for 6 -7 months but is only home half that time and I have not played all the courses you get with the unit yet, at least not all 18 holes.
    I do have a PS3 with the John Daly golf and Move controllers. That is more safe after some beers and people thinks it is great they can drive the ball +300 yards.

Enjoy your DD is is great fun.

Bjarne

Caddyshack, DD comes with the TW 2008 disk. To play it install the TW disk first, then go to practice zone to find the game. The graphics are better than p3pro or dd but the gameplay isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by CVHSAlumni View Post
    Hello everyone, new to the board.

I have just purchased the Optishot and am very excited. Should arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

This forum was a big help in making my decision. Reading the posts here helped me realize that although certainly flawed, the DD will be a great asset for me during the winter time.

I have a few questions, I am currently at my in-laws in Oregon for Christmas and am going to set it up in the garage. The garage has a few windows on it (mine at home in Utah does not), should I attempt to cover those up for daytime play or is the natural light better than having the overhead light on? I am a little confused as to whether or not it is better to have the overhead light or not.

Also, I have a Diablo Octane Driver, FT Fairway Woods (3 and 5 wood), Adams hybrid, AP1 710 irons, Vokey wedges and a painted white Scotty Cameron. Sorry to list all my clubs but I am curious if anyone knows if those clubs will work well (specifically driver, woods, hybrid and putter). I understand that is where some of the limitations are but has anyone used any of those clubs? Is it necessary to tape them up?

I am excited to fire it up and play when it comes. I also plan to tweak everything and get my club settings just right but I did have a few "preliminary" questions about the lighting and if anyone has tried the clubs that I have.

Also, are any of the premium courses better quality than the others? I have spent a lot of hours on a Full Swing Golf simulator and love St. Andrews and Pebble but have never played Whistling Straits. Would love to hear some feedback on which premium course I should get first!

Thanks in advance.
    Pebble Beach is a lot of fun with tricky greens. Whistling Straits is a great course but difficult. Augusta is okay but greens are nowhere accurate and very level. I haven't played St. Andrews yet but intend to soon.

Quote Originally Posted by caddishack View Post
    Hi Guys,

I find that just about every drive I hit slices which is rare for me in real golf so I need to find a fix as I am never on the fairways to hit my second shot.

I keyed in my shaft lengths and lofts for my clubs (ping i15) but I dont understand the 2 selections at the bottom which pertain to distance and speed I think and can be set in a percentage. I left them at 100 but have no idea when I would change them?

Lastly...after installing the game initially I used it and everytime I was within 60 yards of the green or in bunkers the game would give me my lob wedge....then it went and downloaded some kind of update and now it never gives me the lob wedge and always a sand wedge......how do I make the change back?

Thanks and I look forward to your feedback
    Go to the dancing dogg folder, then optishot folder, then practice zone, menu and then preferences. There you can select which club you want for which distance. I left all my settings on 100 and it works perfect for my game.

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    Caddyshack, DD comes with the TW 2008 disk. To play it install the TW disk first, then go to practice zone to find the game. The graphics are better than p3pro or dd but the gameplay isn't that great.
    Mine did not come with it...maybe they stopped since they have their own courses?

The nice thing about the TW game is that I have access to thousands of custom made courses including every course the PGA plays on tour. Versions of Augusta, Pebble Beach and a myriad of others that will just blow you away for accuracy. So I guess I can use my own copy of TW08

Sand Wedge skinsthegolf is on a distinguished road
    If you are interested in playing TW golf on your Optishot, you can find additional courses at coursedownloads.com.

I played yesterday with a friend and although we had a blast it was interesting to see that we both sliced on some holes and then on others we would hook. I found that to be very strange and a little to coincidental. he used a ping driver and I was swithcing around from my r7 to a cobra. My iron play is pretty flawlwess though.
    I just think the device has a hard time deciphering the drivers.
    My buddy must have had 10 shots that did not register on the unit. he had a nasty case of hitting down on the ball and I think the unit got jarred enough to the point we found the green light had gone off and I had to unplug and then replug the unit in several times to get it back up and working.

One of the issues I think is that I use real tees and the paint comes off on the sole of the driver therefore blocking reflection. I would use the supplied tees accept that when I push them down out of the way they are still to high and get in the way of placing a ball for a non tee shot....also I cant get them out of the tee without using pliers as they are really a little to oversized for the hole.
    Last edited by caddishack; 12-20-2010 at 09:56 AM.

Putter break100 is on a distinguished road
    Hi All

Just got the opti Shot less than week ago, I have good setup in my garage, with a fold-able "tee box" 3/4 plywood sheets with hinges between them and them same to garage wall. I have cut a box in the plywood as a housing for the pad and everything is covered with 1/4 green carpet, My issue is that my woods get registered correctly with swing speed and distance but My irons "Wilson Staff Di9" reading a re out of wack, all of them is way short almost 40 yards short, other than the light of my projector there is no other light source. Any idea what might be wrong. Ah I am using Callawy HX practice balls. and did setup the set loft and length in the custom set area.

any help is really appreciated as doubting the readings and the accuracy of the set ' I can live with some deviation but 40+ yards is a lot' is really bother me and destroying my fun with the new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by break100 View Post
    Hi All

Just got the opti Shot less than week ago, I have good setup in my garage, with a fold-able "tee box" 3/4 plywood sheets with hinges between them and them same to garage wall. I have cut a box in the plywood as a housing for the pad and everything is covered with 1/4 green carpet, My issue is that my woods get registered correctly with swing speed and distance but My irons "Wilson Staff Di9" reading a re out of wack, all of them is way short almost 40 yards short, other than the light of my projector there is no other light source. Any idea what might be wrong. Ah I am using Callawy HX practice balls. and did setup the set loft and length in the custom set area.

any help is really appreciated as doubting the readings and the accuracy of the set ' I can live with some deviation but 40+ yards is a lot' is really bother me and destroying my fun with the new toy.
    What swing speeds are getting on your irons?

Sand Wedge skinsthegolf is on a distinguished road
    I'm curios if anyone is using DD without a ball, as it does have that option ?

I am getting 60 to 70 mph, which is too low for me, my driver swing speed is around the 105 mph

I am getting 60 to 70 mph, which is too low for me, my driver swing speed is around the 105 mph
    Have you tried increasing the calculated swing speed for your irons? You can do it for each club.

My driver speed is about 95 and my irons are about 75.

I find the brush tees work the best with DD. You can get different heights but remember that the longer the tee the more the accuracy is reduced. A lot of drivers do not register properly, particularly the Taylormades. Most irons normally work well for everyone. Always make sure you are aligned parallel to the sim pad. If you are having problems try your friends clubs to see if your clubs are the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ZMax View Post
    Have you tried increasing the calculated swing speed for your irons? You can do it for each club.

My driver speed is about 95 and my irons are about 75.
    i have seen that option wherby you can increase distance or swing speed. can you explain with an example how to use the swing speed? I have used the distance %age but mabe it really needs a speed swing adjustment, I just dont really understand it.

I don't want to adjust distance or power as then the whole data captured by the simulator is questioned and the value of the whole thing is really minimal at this point.
    anyway I do have another set of irons that I can try and see.
    anyone knows of any cheap gizmmo for measuring club head speed, i will check it against optishot to make sure my unit is not faulty

Sand Wedge purgasoj is on a distinguished road
    I Did it!!! Finally finished reading the now closed 90+ pages of the original DD thread. Thanks to Psace, Bubba22, Marine1, zmax, RDH, Cory, etc. for all of your trials and successes on helping me to start building my basement setup with DD simulator. I am getting my Projector, DD, ceiling mount and Video Card from Santa- I already have 4 driving range mats im going to use for a base- and have the painters tarp (for now) hanging from my unfinished ceiling for the impact screen. I already have a Turftiles putting green to use to practice my putting next to my sim- I am sooo ready to start since it has been too cold here in MD to golf outside since around thanksgiving. Thanks again to you all- and if I forgot to mention someone- thanks to you as well. Oh Canada!!!

I don't want to adjust distance or power as then the whole data captured by the simulator is questioned and the value of the whole thing is really minimal at this point.
    Oh yeah? Have you read my P3proswing swing speed too low thread? Every time I think about it, I want to just go to the offices of P3proswing and beat the crap out of somebody.

Thread Information