100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Hybrid fhann is on a distinguished road fhann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcaron View Post
    Hey fellow DD users...
    Spring is coming to New England so into the garage I go to play DD.
    I noticed that I now am getting a black dotted line on in the graphic display that kind of "flows" along the course.
    Any idea what this may be? I'm not having any other graphic issues on any other applicatins but Optishot.
    Thanks!
    I had the same problem when I ran Optishot on my laptop computer that had an integrated video card. When I run it on my desktop with a new dedicated video card with 1 GB memory I don't get that reaction anymore. I thought that the line was improperly showing/carrying the shadow of the flagstick into other areas of the screen.
    Engineered Golf - Frank Hann 3.8 GHIN
    www.engineeredgolf.ca

In the Zone syhlif32 is on a distinguished road
    DD kind of "take over" the screen from windows. I am sure they would recommend you to update to the latest video driver.
    You can also try to downgrade the graphics to see if it is your video card that is maxed out.

I can't answer your HD projector question but would think so. My HD television screen looks better than my laptop display of 1366x768 but then again it is much larger.
    It is in the details like water and the sky that I see the better visual impression.
    To bad it doesn't improve the score too.

Known entity psace is on a distinguished road
    Those graphic problems are always related to video cards or drivers. Sometimes reinstalling dd will solve the problem.

I tried an experiment today. I played in the garage with the daylight streaming in through the windows. It didn't seem to make any difference to the accuracy of this sim. Very interesting.

On another note, anybody getting impatient for the new update? I would rather they didn't tell us when an update was coming. Very soon is now 2 months and counting.

I play in our home theater which has one side that is all glass,Floor to ceiling windows and doors and I have no problems ether. If I want to use the projector in the day time I do need to close the curtains or the picture is a bit washed out.
    I hit into a painters canvas which isn't that great for projecting a picture.

Yes, I to hope it will update every time I start up Optishot.
    Would be nice if they gave you an option to beta test, they would get a better product and we would get the chance for trying the latest.
    Maybe some here are involved?

9 Iron tcaron is on a distinguished road
    Thanks everyone for the responses.
    The lines just showed up and were not there originally. I've been playing DD for about a year and a half on the same laptop. I've got a great but low budgeted setup with projector, tee box, 10 x 10 impact screen, etc. Works incredible. The "Allmost" balls are the best. Even convinced my wife that I needed a garage heater. Very cool playing Pebble with 3 feet of snow on the ground.
    Tom C

We have 3 feet of snow here, Tcaron. So, my garage is my second home for now! Optishot has provided countless hours of good times and game improvement. I finally have my irons working and my scores are now in the low to mid seventies, since my girs are much better. I am still working on hitting more fairways with my driver. I find every part of the sim helpful for my game, including chipping and putting. You still have to play by feel even if the distances are not 100% accurate.

For anyone contemplating buying the Optishot, you won't be disappointed. It will take a little time and very little tweaking.

Completely agree with psace.
    I just can't believe how much I have improved with my irons. After the advice from Nigel37 setting up a 7 iron with a 19-20 degree loft and use it for chipping I really enjoy the practice on the short game.
    I have a much higher handicap than psace, happy to hit mid 80's. But shaved 5-6 strokes of my game on the real course just with practicing on the DD since Feb.

On top of that we have a lot of fun playing the courses on the simulator with golf friends over.

Moderator bubba22 is on a distinguished road bubba22's Avatar
    Divot action mat coming for DD/P3pro and ST1 http://www.customdesigngolf.com/the_...roswing_format . I wonder the cost, durability etc?

Hall of Fame ZMax is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
    Divot action mat coming for DD/P3pro and ST1 http://www.customdesigngolf.com/the_...roswing_format . I wonder the cost, durability etc?
    Wow! I can see it working for the DD but P3pro version might have problems due to too many sensor cutouts.

I had a strange thing happen last night while practicing drives at the optishot driving range. I tried delaying my shoulder turn while starting the swing with my lower body and had some amazing results. My usual clubhead speed with the driver is around 100mph but using the above technique, I started getting clubhead speeds from 125-140mph and thus 300 yard drives. I have never had clubhead speeds over 110 before. I was using almost balls with the foam ball setting and haven't changed any club or ball settings. Has anyone else had this happen with the optishot?

The divot action mat would be great!

Im a fixture here rdh is on a distinguished road
    Holy cow! That's a phenomenal increase in swing speed! My swing speed is the same as your "normal" one (always in the 98-104MPH range) and I too have never been over 110. I've worked on introducing more lag into my swing (which is what your technique will be doing...more lag and torque) but it's been challenging. Maybe I'll focus on holding my shoulders back as well after reading that...jeez.

To make sure the device was working correctly, did you go back to your normal swing and see that you still get swing speeds in the 100mph range? A 25-40% increase is (as I said) phenomenal!

RDH.

No I didn't go back to my old swing (who would) but I did hit my other clubs with my regular swing before using the driver and they were all normal distances. Normally, I tend to swing from the top with my driver (possibly casting) and swing from outside to inside. Not so with the irons. The only problem with big swing speeds is big misses if your face is open or closed!

Well, that's a bloody exciting change in any case! Yes, if you're wild with that swing then you'll have to work on it, but I think it's worth sticking with it and working on the timing/accuracy rather than reverting back. That kind of distance increase will make the game of golf an entirely different experience. Not too shabby if you'll be hitting short irons into greens you used to hit 3 and 4 irons into.

I've always been guilty of casting and last year made some good progress dropping into the slot and getting more lag. I went from drives in the 230-240 yard range to drives in the 250-260 yard range. Still not where I'd like to be ideally, but it's a work in progress. Simulators are amazing for seeing these kinds of details (swing speeds, etc.) as a result of swing changes.

It was a bit of a shocker to watch my first drive fly to the end of the driving range. I still think I was only dreaming. It will be a miracle if it continues. At my age, I am happy with 250 yard drives landing on the fairway. RDH, you should be proud of your accomplishments.

Now, where is that damn optishot upgrade? Even a new course would be nice before golf season starts.

I'd be getting impatient if I were you too...the improved trees sound great. Really that was the only gripe I ever had with 3DD - I thought the terrains looked really good. With the solid new trees, it's a heck of a software package for the price...it would be great software even at a far higher price in fact!

Totally agree, RDH.

I have a chance to play on an About Golf simulator that a local fellow just bought and is putting in his basement. He made out very very well on a stock deal. It is being installed next week and am looking forward to playing on the e6 software.

I don't think AboutGolf uses the E6 software...as far as I know it's just on TruGolf and Full Swing units. I've seen the AboutGolf software at Golf Town (I think it is anyway) and on The Golf Fix on the Golf Channel, but I've never been too impressed by it. Let us know what you think though.

As far as I know About Golf do not use the E6. I, like RDH have never been over impressed with their software. Let us know how you like it psace. You can also check your new swing on it as well. Keep us posted.

Is the 'new' swing one that only works April 1. ?

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    is the 'new' swing one that only works april 1. ?
    lol!!!!

Dave W was also not impressed with it. How much are their sims anyway?

Sorry, I guess I got you guys off topic. He told me it was e6 so will have to wait and see.
    I don't know the exact cost but heard it was around $50,000. The ball is supposed to go through the screen somehow?

Good one Sy! However, it was March 31, 2011. It may turn out to be April fools.

Was out playing on a real course yesterday and did very badly!
    I have not been playing out on the real courses much this year because we have had a real wet summer here.

I have practiced a lot on the DD but because it is set up in our Home Theater I only use foam balls.
    Not sure if it was the real balls or what but it did not take long for my swing to break down.
    Last time I was out playing I did play my best round ever so maybe it was just the heat and a off day?

Have anybody had problems with practicing with foam balls and then having problems with real golf balls?

The driver R9 460 was completely off. So I will not use that one on the simulator anymore! I have been taping it and it felt right on the simulator!
    Did ok with the irons until the swing broke down and they became short.

If DD do not get a launch angle measurement the next 6 months I will need to upgrade the simulator.
    Just hate to spend +$6,000 when I am 90% happy with the $400 Optishot.

Psace tell us if it was a fluke the ~ 30% swing speed increase or are you really on to something?

I'm interested to hear how your results translate to the real world as well psace.

I've read about those screens for the AboutGolf simulator. I think they have small holes (probably little cut "x" shapes or something) that the ball goes through so you really get a seamless experience - the ball hits the screen and literally disappears into it, then the simulated ball flight immediately takes over. It sounds very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rdh View Post
    I'm interested to hear how your results translate to the real world as well psace.

I've read about those screens for the AboutGolf simulator. I think they have small holes (probably little cut "x" shapes or something) that the ball goes through so you really get a seamless experience - the ball hits the screen and literally disappears into it, then the simulated ball flight immediately takes over. It sounds very cool.
    Full swing have the passer screen that looks really cool. The ball hits and passes through the screen.

Sorry to hear about the game syhlif32. Golf is a game of ups and downs and things will bounce back. The reality of sims is that it is not the real situation. I think tweaking the swing is great but nothing can recreate things like the lie, real sand, weather conditions etc. Lets not kid ourselves even the situation of having strangers watch you play will affect your performance. Yes the launch angle will help, that is one of the major reasons as well as the hitting surface that I switched. In any event, hang in there and keep having fun because in my mind, that is the major reason to play sim golf and hopefully some game improvement will result.

I am very interested to see if your driver changes will translate to real life as well Psace.

Well guys, I did try practicing again this morning. My first few drives only went about 230 yards and I was bummed. But I didn't feel like I was holding my shoulders back to get the coil effect. So I tried a little hard to do this and my next drive went 326 yards with a slight draw! It will be hard to duplicate this on the real course I figure, because there are so many other distractions and it is like going from the driving range to the real course. As we all know, we have different swings on the range versus the course. I am still optomistic, however, that things will improve if I can hone in some of that power for better accuracy.

I won't be able to try the real thing here for a while as the course is still under 2 feet of snow.

Don't give up Sy, golf is always a challenge and our swings are always changing. Look at Tiger's.

Quote Originally Posted by syhlif32 View Post
    I like to use 7 & 9 irons for chipping close to the green but on the DD the roll is very short so hard to practice. Have anybody found a way to make the roll longer.

Also while I have been able to make the cup with a chip I have not been able to make the ball go in the cub when using the putter from just outside the green.
    The ball bounces always of the pin for me, sometimes ridicules distances? Anybody tried that?
    Something that I have found that works for chipping is setting the shot type to lowest. For example I select an 8 iron and choose lowest shot type. The ball will fly low and roll farther just like the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by psace View Post
    Well guys, I did try practicing again this morning. My first few drives only went about 230 yards and I was bummed. But I didn't feel like I was holding my shoulders back to get the coil effect. So I tried a little hard to do this and my next drive went 326 yards with a slight draw!
    96 yard gain seems a little strange to me. Are there any local golf store with a simulator or launch monitor that you can verify this with? Swing speed meter/radar?

I don't think it is that strange, Zmax. However, I think it is difficult to find the technique to get the extra distance. I never really felt like I had the coil effect in my swing before and was lunging at the ball. By resisting swing down from the top, the arms and hands are forced to whip the club to the ball with more lag effect. Hitting monsterous drives are all about timing and accelerating at the proper moment. You don't have to be huge to hit huge drives, just proper swing sequence. Can I do it everytime, no absolutely not. I would rather low scores than long drives. I do believe the optishot is very accurate regarding clubhead speed and clubhead path as Bubba as attested.

I found another little tip for greenside bunker shots. I find the ball rolls a little more than a normal one would, so I change the shot type to highest and I find the roll is more realistic.

Sy, I agree the optishot is well worth the $400.00. To go to a better sim is going to cost 6 grand and to me it is a hell of a jump. Hopefully, the "next generation" upgrade will raise the bar!

psace,

Can you verify this with other simulators or launch monitors? If this move truly increased you swing speed up to 40 mph or 96 yards in distance, I would love to get the details on this move. Or perhaps a slow motion video of your swing.

Thread Information