100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: At which index(handicap) do you no longer consider yourself a hacker?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3 and below

3 4.41%
  • 6 and below

9 13.24%
  • 9 and below

15 22.06%
  • 12 and below

41 60.29%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hacker

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Hacker

At which index(handicap) do you no longer consider yourself a hacker?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I opted for 3 and below, but this is really a relative matter. When I was an 8 - many years ago - and looking to improve, a 4 or 5 handicap seemed like a godsend. Once I achieved that level, though, the desire was to improve even more. Having moved to a cap of 3, I no longer considered being in the 4 or 5 range as anything other than hacking. In short, my expectations and standards changed with my improved performance. I suspect that it is the same for others.
    Proud member of the 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ottawa Golf Ryder Cup teams.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I voted 12. Generally if you are around a 12 you can probably hit the ball OK most of the time but struggle with consistency quite a bit.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Defintely 12 and below. I'm a hacker 20+ handicap.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I opted for 3 and below, but this is really a relative matter. When I was an 8 - many years ago - and looking to improve, a 4 or 5 handicap seemed like a godsend. Once I achieved that level, though, the desire was to improve even more. Having moved to a cap of 3, I no longer considered being in the 4 or 5 range as anything other than hacking. In short, my expectations and standards changed with my improved performance. I suspect that it is the same for others.
    But as a 3, you will have many, many days in the 4-5 range...because as you know, handicap is an indicator of potential, not actual performance.

That said, I will say when 90 is in play, that's considered hacking. Golf is a hard game, no reason to denigrate those who play it in an average way (remember, 18 is about the average golf handicap).

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    Not qualify to answer but in my opinion if you can consistently break 80 on the back tee..you're NOT a hacker.

I have never seen/played with one that could break 80 (or score an eagle) so I definitely belong to Hacker-R-Us club.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    I am waiting for Hacker's response.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    At which index(handicap) do you no longer consider yourself a hacker?
    I would not relate a "hacker" to any score or handicap factor. Rather, a golfer who has difficulty getting the ball airborne and when he does, often slices/hooks the ball into trouble, chili-dips short shots and often 3/4 putts, definitely is a hacker. However, on occasion, we all commit these sins, but I would not define us a hackers for doing so, regardless of HC.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    I started the season at 16.4 and was ecstatic to be playing so well. Of course I started thinking I could play a 16 or better all the time. Then my cap went to 19.1 where it is now. Argh!
    12 and below is definitely non hacker status to me.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Single digit hdcp - 9.9 and below.
    ________
    Vermont Dispensary
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 04:07 AM.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    I would not relate a "hacker" to any score or handicap factor. Rather, a golfer who has difficulty getting the ball airborne and when he does, often slices/hooks the ball into trouble, chili-dips short shots and often 3/4 putts, definitely is a hacker. However, on occasion, we all commit these sins, but I would not define us a hackers for doing so, regardless of HC.
    When guilty of comitting these sins do you?

1) Tell yoursef: I suck
    2) I can't chip or putt or drive worth a
    3) I need to overhaul my swing

4)It is not typical of myself it is just a bad shot

5)forget about it and move on to the next shot

6 Go to confession
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood Brewcee is on a distinguished road Brewcee's Avatar
    To me I have always looked at the term hacker a bit differently. If you expand it to encompass everyone who plays golf at least once 1 month, someone who regularily shoots 90 (has around a 20 handicap) is looking pretty good.

If you have a RCGA registered handicap your not a hacker in my books. You might suck, but your not a hacker. I think hacker is a lot more than a nice way of saying you suck. To me hacker is defined by ones attitude towards the game, as opposed to how well you play. I would say if you are a member at a club, no matter how poorly you play you are not a hacker as you have obviously have invested time and money into the game and it can be assumed care about the state of your game. To me a hacker is the person who plays once a week or less, shoots between 90 - 100 but doesn't really play by all the rules (fixes lies, doesn't count penalty strokes, etc), is not overly interested in getting better, just wishes they could play more. The only tournaments the hacker plays in are charity scrambles. The person in your 4some most likely to get drunk everytime they play, is likely a hacker (unless they shoot the lights out hammered, then they are just impressive). The individual that regularily hits a 9 iron that turns out to be their 6 iron, is likely a hacker. The person who hasn't purchased a single new piece of golf equipment ever (still using their dads old spalding blades from the 70s) and not because they hit the ball soo well with them, is a hacker in my books.

If you have only been playing for a couple years, your not a hacker, your a beginner. If you have been playing 3 times a week for 10+ years, have brand new equipment and are a member at a club and don't regularily break 100, your not a hacker, you just suck.

My two cents

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Anyone who can regularly shoot under 100 and knows the rules/etiquette is not a hacker.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Consistently present Kiwi is on a distinguished road Kiwi's Avatar
    Of the choices, I'd go with <12... But, I don't think of a hacker being someone who can score that well. I play bogey golf. I, on average, duff/blow one shot a hole, but am no where near a 12 index. Have to agree with the posts identifying a "hacker" as someone who hacks at the ball rather than one who can hit it clean 4/5 times... IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    When guilty of comitting these sins do you?

1) Tell yoursef: I suck
    2) I can't chip or putt or drive worth a
    3) I need to overhaul my swing

4)It is not typical of myself it is just a bad shot

5)forget about it and move on to the next shot

6 Go to confession
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No. Unless the pattern persists over time. (More than 10 minutes. )
    4. Yes
    5. Yes
    6. "Forgive me Father Golf, for I have shanked." Nah!!
    Last edited by BC MIST; 10-30-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I will always be Hacker regardless of what my handicap or factor is.

That said, I agree with BC Mist who said "...a golfer who has difficulty getting the ball airborne and when he does, often slices/hooks the ball into trouble, chili-dips short shots and often 3/4 putts, definitely is a hacker."

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Tuesday I felt like a hacker and yesterday I felt like a golfer. It depends on which me shows up.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Tuesday I felt like a hacker and yesterday I felt like a golfer. It depends on which me shows up.
    Tuesday I was a golfer (till the last three holes, +5, +3, +3 for a 95) and yesterday I was an employee - out of vacation time to indulge in anymore weekday golf.
    "Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men...
    the other 999 follow women." - Groucho Marx

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I'd put the "hacker" tag on the infrequent player who connects inconsistently and plays for pure recreation. He follows the rules he thinks are fair, but allows himself a mulligan or two and won't bother with a provisional ball. Just out for the enjoyment of the day with friends and that is 100% OK by me.

He doesn't keep a handicap, but if he does enter scores on line somewhere it's unofficial, and that's OK too. He's only interested in bettering himself since he understands the whole "real rules" thing. His scores are for him and the friends he competes with each weekend who play the same relaxed rules as he does. It's all good. Hacker's rejoice!

Unfortunately I can't vote on this poll since I think a real 20 handicap who plays by the rules is not a hacker. It's a hard game and a true 20 doesn't suck compared to occasional players who make up a great deal of the golfing public.

I can't buy into the thinking that you need to be in the single digits to be de-categorized as a a hacker. Just sayin'.
    Last edited by Kilroy; 10-30-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    And who you play with.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I'd put the "hacker" tag on the infrequent player who connects inconsistently and plays for pure recreation. He follows the rules he thinks are fair, but allows himself a mulligan or two and won't bother with a provisional ball. Just out for the enjoyment of the day with friends and that is 100% OK by me.

He doesn't keep a handicap, but if he does enter scores on line somewhere it's unofficial, and that's OK too. He's only interested in bettering himself since he understands the whole "real rules" thing. His scores are for him and the friends he competes with each weekend who play the same relaxed rules as he does. It's all good. Hacker's rejoice!

Unfortunately I can't vote on this poll since I think a real 20 handicap who plays by the rules is not a hacker. It's a hard game and a true 20 doesn't suck compared to occasional players who make up a great deal of the golfing public.

I can't buy into the thinking that you need to be in the single digits to be de-categorized as a a hacker. Just sayin'.
    Sums up my thoughts perfectly. I agree 100%

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post

I agree.
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Out of Bounds chipandput is on a distinguished road chipandput's Avatar
    You're so right!
    Chip

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    This is not an easy game---if someone can't get the ball airborne --well maybe. With a handicap system you can play a 1 against an 18. If the bogey player plays by the rules etc and you have a good time playing AND if he beats the 1 capper----then he's not a hacker. It's taken this 66 year old 7 years to get to 15----for the most part I THINK I play a decent game, but when that ONE hole pops up and you end up going 3 or 4 over---well YOU answer the question
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Thread Information