100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDSGOLF
    With Phil's awful drive on #18, kind of makes you wonder why he would change golf clubs a week before the Ryder Cup, he should have switched last week. I guess Callaway maybe paid him extra to do it before the Cup, it may have back fired on Callaway.
    I don’t think the driver is what made Phil hit a bad drive. Bad swing equals bad drive.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Playing Winter Rules Farzin is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Nice comeback. I just love that Darren will not back down from Tiger. That's a neat rivalry.
    Good thing Phil was out there to make up for Tiger's bad game. I just don't know why captain Hal decided to put Phil as a cheer leader behind the ropes tomorrow. Boy was he peed off. He may as well put on a red neck's bandana on and get rid off that stupid hat of his too tomorrow.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Here are the pairings for tomorow.

8:10 a.m. - Sergio Garcia and Lee Westwood, Europe, vs. Jay Haas and Chris DiMarco, United States.

8:25 a.m. - Darren Clarke and Ian Poulter, Europe, vs. Tiger Woods and Chris Riley, United States.

8:40 a.m. - Paul Casey and David Howell, Europe, vs. Jim Furyk and Chad Campbell, United States.

8:55 a.m. - Colin Montgomerie and Padraig Harrington, Europe, vs. Stewart Cink and Davis Love III, United States.

Any predictions? :undecided
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    WOW, Phil is not playing tomorrow morning, he did have a bad day today, but still, he will bounce back.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Karam
    Any predictions? :undecided
    I predict that we'll be having fun at Cascades throughout a good chunk of it....

I think the US will have a good day, and likely make it fairly close. If Tiger and Phil aren't playing together, then Tiger can go back to doing what he'll be doing a lot in the near future.... Playing with himself....

Hopefully they get the weather we do...

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    If Tiger and Phil aren't playing together, then Tiger can go back to doing what he'll be doing a lot in the near future.... Playing with himself....
    Dan
    What I don't understand, why didn't Hal match Riley and Woods together since they are long time friends. In fact they played junior tourneys together. Tiger is on his game today and smiling. Something we haven’t seen for a long time. USA is making a move.

And how about uncle Haas. His is very solid today.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Garcia's putt on 18 for bogie. Wow!!!
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Quote Originally Posted by Colby

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    One more reason I like Johnny Miller. When disussing why the recent, and current European dominance, JM says, more or less:

"Bottom line, the US pros have just stunk it up out there."

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Here we go folks. Who will stroke the deciding putt??

Match 1
    Tiger Woods 12:00 p.m. ET Paul Casey
    Match 2
    Phil Mickelson 12:11 p.m. ET Sergio Garcia
    Match 3
    Davis Love III 12:22 p.m. ET Darren Clarke
    Match 4
    Jim Furyk 12:33 p.m. ET David Howell
    Match 5
    Kenny Perry 12:44 p.m. ET Lee Westwood
    Match 6
    David Toms 12:55 p.m. ET Colin Montgomerie
    Match 7
    Chad Campbell 1:06 p.m. ET Luke Donald
    Match 8
    Chris DiMarco 1:17 p.m. ET Miguel Angel Jimenez
    Match 9
    Fred Funk 1:28 p.m. ET Thomas Levet
    Match 10
    Chris Riley 1:39 p.m. ET Ian Poulter
    Match 11
    Jay Haas 1:50 p.m. ET Padraig Harrington
    Match 12
    Stewart Cink 2:01 p.m. ET Paul McGinley

I'm going with Monte

Looking at those pairing I will say Darren Clarke. Group 3 third point and final point need to win the cup

Seriously, I do hope for some entertaining golf tomorow but watching what the europeans have done the last 2 days, you would be hard pressed to pick the US to win. It's only a matter of time before they go down with those big egos. I'd say it wont take Europe more than the first 6 groups to win it.

We just got off the course and saw his chip. Good to see him and partner laughing so much about the miss hit. Then to watch his ball roll into the cup............. wow is right on the money.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    The Yanks have been outcoached and out played. As for heart, there is no comparison. Some have wondered why the American team has frequently failed to perform to expectations. One important factor is HEART. The European team has more heart. Case in point. After playing superbly with Tiger in the morning, Riley asks to sit out in the afternoon, because he's emotionally wrung out. To quote Johnny Miller. "Give me a break." This is the Ryder Cup. Can you imagine any of the European players waving the white flag in that fashion? Not a chance. And, lest I forget, the Europeans have more joie de vivre. These guys are not only gutsy, they have more fun. Europe will be hoisting the Cup tomorrow. Good for them.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    I think it will be Westwood making the deciding putt.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I think it will be Westwood making the deciding putt.
    Monty in Match 6 would be quite fitting.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    Monty in Match 6 would be quite fitting.
    Officially, you were right. But the whole day was pretty much boring, not competitive enough, ah well.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

I'd say it wont take Europe more than the first 6 groups to win it.
    on the money with monty

I just got back from a late afternoon round and checked the www.rydercup.com website to see what happened. Looks like it was a bit of an ass kicking by Europe at 18.5 to 9.5. When I watched the video highlights of todays action on that website I could swear the Americans wree staging another comeback like at the Country Club 5 years ago. 70% of the highlights were great American shots. I had to check the scores again - yup Europe won. Did the Americans make a bagful of great shots and then hit it in the cabbage the rest of thetime to hand it to Europe or is that just a biased site?

A thought occurred to me while watching the highlights - is Garcia the next Ballesteros? He bagged 4.5 pts in 5 matches and seemed to be the team cheerleader like Seve was. He could be around a long time to - what is he 25?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    WHAT A DAY! WHAT A VICTORY!

EUROPE!EUROPE!EUROPE!EUROPE!

Quote Originally Posted by powerlefty
    I just got back from a late afternoon round and checked the www.rydercup.com website to see what happened. Looks like it was a bit of an ass kicking by Europe at 18.5 to 9.5. When I watched the video highlights of todays action on that website I could swear the Americans wree staging another comeback like at the Country Club 5 years ago. 70% of the highlights were great American shots. I had to check the scores again - yup Europe won. Did the Americans make a bagful of great shots and then hit it in the cabbage the rest of thetime to hand it to Europe or is that just a biased site?
    Must have been a biased site because Europe were superb today. Garcia, Westwood, Clarke, McGinley, Harrington, Montgomerie all superb!! Poulter and Levet weren't bad either.

For the Yanks, Woods, Campbell, Furyk and Davis Love were excellent.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Johnny and Monty

As Monty was teeing off, J Miller boldly predicted that Colin would lose. He didn't. To the contrary he played great, courageous golf. Guess Mr. Miller's predictive abilities are as reliable as his putting stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    As Monty was teeing off, J Miller boldly predicted that Colin would lose. He didn't. To the contrary he played great, courageous golf. Guess Mr. Miller's predictive abilities are as reliable as his putting stroke.
    Lets face it the commentry was terribly biased for most of the coverage. Millers comment about Monty sickened me. What was funny that right after he made that comment, Monty split the fairway with his opening drive.

Also the commentators continued amazement of Langers comment that he thought they could get 2 points from the first 3 matches and continued coverage of what Hal Sutton thought of this was a joke, what was Langer supposed to say 'I think we'll get smoked'.

5 Wood golfmania is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    Also the commentators continued amazement of Langers comment that he thought they could get 2 points from the first 3 matches and continued coverage of what Hal Sutton thought of this was a joke, what was Langer supposed to say 'I think we'll get smoked'.
    Ya, that was pathetic. It was a rebutable to the americans saying they had the first 3 matches easily. Haha! Langer was right.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    Congrats to Europe.

A few other commentating moments were the constant critisism of Garcia's fist-pumping and emotion, but then praising Di Marco for the same thing?!?

When the Europeans were at the back of the 18th singing the French national anthem to Thomas Levet as he closed out his match, the commentators failing to realize it was the French national anthem and not 'Ole, Ole, Ole', said something like 'they're singing their favourite song again as they have been all day'.

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    It was nice to see Europe win. I just can't stand the Yank's......... All they did was cry about how the Euros were "Super Underrated". Hal Sutton deserves to be "Loser Of The Day" for that one.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Very happy to see the Europeans win.
    A good article with thoughts on the Ryder Cup from Rich Lerner of the Golf Channel posted here is worth a look even though I'm not a big fan of his.
    http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.a...4384&select2=1

A few of his comments I loved, here are just a few:

1) The U.S. lacks leadership in the player ranks. We have no Sergio, no Monty, no Clarke.

2) Phil Mickelson says they’re under constant scrutiny and ridicule. This isn’t presidential politics; it’s a game of golf. Lighten up, or light up a cigar, or laugh, genuinely.

3) American players are collecting world ranking points in Phoenix or Dallas or Houston while the Euros are collecting good times on the coast of Spain or the Swiss Alps or Ireland.

4) In 1977, with the matches terribly uncompetitive in favor of the U.S., Jack Nicklaus suggested opening up the event to continental Europe. Maybe we should open it up to all of North America and bring Mike Weir into the fold.

5) Forget The Ryder Cup. In general, Europeans work fewer hours, take longer lunches and more vacations. Is it possible we need to just relax a little, sip some espresso at a sidewalk café and watch the world go by?

6) Here’s a team we’d like to see: John Daly because he’s loose and doesn’t care about appearances; Todd Hamilton because he’s unafraid; Steve Flesch because he has a sense of humor; Scott Verplank because he’s a butt kicker; Freddy Couples because he’s relaxed and a gallery favorite; Joey Sindelar because he’s real; Duffy Waldorf because he’s a wine connoisseur; John Jacobs from the Champions Tour because he smokes good cigars; Hale Irwin because he can’t stand to lose; Jack Nicklaus because he’s Jack Nicklaus, and win or lose, he’d do post round interviews; Craig Stadler because he’s a pain in the neck to play against, though we have to admit the striped shirt wouldn’t have been all that flattering; Corey Pavin because even if he’s not the player he once was, he’s still a bulldog; and finally, amateur Ryan Moore because he made it through the summer without losing a match play event.

Do you guy honestly think that the American players have no hart and did not want to win this. Take Dimarco for instance. He wanted to win at all cost. You could see It in his eyes. Just like Davis, Toms, Tiger, Haas …

There is always a winning team and a loosing team. The loosing team did not loose cause they didn’t want it.

I have lost my share of tournament and it’s not cause I didn’t try or did not want it. Some time it happens that way.

You guys post like you have never lost anything in your life.

It is easy to criticize by sitting on your couch and watching it on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    Do you guy honestly think that the American players have no hart and did not want to win this. Take Dimarco for instance. He wanted to win at all cost. You could see It in his eyes. Just like Davis, Toms, Tiger, Haas …
    I don't doubt it. The fact that the USA players really wanted to win makes the victory all the more enjoyable for the European players.

What I didn't like was the commentators' repeated inquest into why the USA didn't thrash the lowly Europeans.

As Sergio said 'There are people who can play golf outside the US'.

Thread Information